MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’d imagine they’d still want to have a talent pipeline set up in case any current TL’s transfer, move up or demote. I think the opportunity will still be there but it will be a lot more difficult to move up, especially if your store’s team lead count is going down. Closing expert sounds like a good role for a GSA/TM who wants to tackle more responsibility and move up in the future.

I was told the closing role is more like the only SrTL type position left, that it’ll be a good role to be in to develop for ETL. When my current STL came to our store and had 1:1 chat sessions with us, they asked what my goals at target were, and I said my goal is ETL. When I approached them about the closing lead spot being piloted as word of if got out, they said they thought with it being the only lod role, where they would be the highest ranking person in the store 5 days a week, responding to all issues, and performance managing the whole team, along with the high visibility of the new role, would make it great for development towards ETL. Our plan for me in the role is for me to drive accountability for all teams, and offer feedback on what I’m seeing tonight based on my experience with the new op model in my workcenter.

Edit: shit, I quoted the wrong post, I think I fixed it

Last edited:
.... They are about ready to lose me and half the inbound team if things don't change soon and we get more people to help. STL appearing every 10 minutes at the back of the truck, looking in then down at his watch and saying how we need to pick up the pace doesn't help either. What used to be an efficient 45 minute unload is now 3 hours and they want to cut staff even more.

A good way to run off your help and/or be a recipient of a repack rectal insertion.

Is there any guide or scheduling suggestion as to how to unload the truck during the new process? Today we had one in the truck, one sorting repacks and working one side of the line, an additional on that side of the line, and one on the other side. So 4 total to get the truck done today. And I've heard they want to get it down to only 3 (1 to unload and one on each side of the line.) The process took way longer then it could if we added more people sorting but with only a few the line backs up so frequently I'm spent just standing in the truck waiting for space for more boxes.

As I was throwing the truck today I thought of how we used to have two on the truck, 6 on the line, two scanners, bowlers, etc. and how much they must be profiting by cutting all these positions and hours. They are about ready to lose me and half the inbound team if things don't change soon and we get more people to help. STL appearing every 10 minutes at the back of the truck, looking in then down at his watch and saying how we need to pick up the pace doesn't help either. What used to be an efficient 45 minute unload is now 3 hours and they want to cut staff even more.
You should have one thrower, three priority one sorters, two priority two sorters and one tm for running PIPOS/bulk pallets/sorting beauty and helping out wherever.

I’d imagine they’d still want to have a talent pipeline set up in case any current TL’s transfer, move up or demote. I think the opportunity will still be there but it will be a lot more difficult to move up, especially if your store’s team lead count is going down.
Going off of this, I don’t think it’ll necessarily make moving up harder, ONCE the adjustment period has passed and a new baseline is reached. Yeah, they’re expecting a lot more from TLs, but they’re also expecting a lot more from TMs. So it’ll be a similar increase in responsibilities as it was previously. There will still be TL turnover, and I think if anything this process will increase promoting TMs rather than using external hires, as the experience from a ‘comparable’ position elsewhere won’t have you prepared for how things are going to be at target.

Now, I do think these changes are going to make it a lot harder for TLs and former SrTLs looking to promote to ETL. No more senior means there’s a not really an in between position anymore. Possibly closing lead depending on how your store/district sees things. Upside is, depending on how strict they are about the whole mid shifts only scheduling, there may be a good deal of ETL turnover. 2 of my ETLs, who are both looking to and are might be close to promoting, have mentioned seeking greener pastures if made to work only mids.

Give me override access over at Electronics and I'll be ecstatic. If they're giving it to all GS TM's they'll give it to me no problem. I don't need to use it often but I'm already leaving the boat enough to do backstock and stuff, more time I can stay near the boat the better.

Give me override access over at Electronics and I'll be ecstatic. If they're giving it to all GS TM's they'll give it to me no problem. I don't need to use it often but I'm already leaving the boat enough to do backstock and stuff, more time I can stay near the boat the better.
Just find a TL that trusts you to change your status in the register. One of my old TLs did it for me a few years ago before they left. I only use it when necessary. It comes in handy.

Just find a TL that trusts you to change your status in the register. One of my old TLs did it for me a few years ago before they left. I only use it when necessary. It comes in handy.
This. I gave a trusted electronics TM supervisor access and it comes in clutch. I had supervisor access as a TM when I was in electronics and it will save leadership a lot of time and headaches.

I’m frequently asked how I do it, how my store does it. How we’ve been able to see success with this. I’m often asked for details, but so much of it is educating the team and my peers and my leaders on how the new way can yield higher efficiency, how spending more time on certain things that used to be done as fast as possible can save you even more time than you spent down the line. Anyways, this weekend was unique as one of my fellow sales floor peers was log lod and another SFTL was opening lod. We are all on board with the new op model and modernization, and we had no ETLs or logistics leaders with us today. Today was one of the most successful days we have had as an entire store since... since sort and stock started. To end your day with TMs thanking you for how we ran things, and how things got finished, so fucking rewarding. I’ve always said one of the biggest parts of my success is having the team’s back, and them having mine. In a weekend, we proved that doesn’t just apply to my handpicked squad of high performing TMs. Here’s the details. New Unload Time? - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/new-unload-time.21499/post-508387

Who’s sorting repacks and softlines?
Softlines gets stacked on pallets at the end of the line, softlines unload person came at 6am to sort. Softlines has been behind lately, because of reshop getting out of hand lately due to payroll.

Only 1 softlines sorter?

What about 3s, 4s, and combos? Who and when are they being sorted?
I’ll ask how the people on the line were distributed, but all non softlines repacks including combos were opened and completely sorted on the line. We sorted 40s into their respective areas for the DBOs to backstock. Also want to add, softlines TL was mid today and they did start their day by assisting softlines unload. Softlines is the piece I know least about, and these days they’re the ones falling behind. They’re fully end to end and their ETL does their scheduling with what the STL gives them. But yes, typically one softlines sorter. We found we weren’t getting 2 people’s worth of work done with 2, they’re either too chatty with each other or too catty. Almost all of our softlines TMs with early availability are under 22 lol.

Last edited:
Anyone have their one on one yet? What is your position and who was it with? What was discussed, said, etc? I'm a regular, low level inbound team member, er expert. Interested in hearing if everyone is being fed the same script.

Anyone have their one on one yet? What is your position and who was it with? What was discussed, said, etc? I'm a regular, low level inbound team member, er expert. Interested in hearing if everyone is being fed the same script.

Not your fault, but I love how you're an expert. Who thought of that dumbass idea?

Yes Judge, today we brought in a noted scholar in his field of cyclonic suction. He stocks vacuums at Target. He's .... an expert.

Had one with my stl. With whom I get along quite well. Just a regular consumables tm. The etl hr is also doing them. And the questions were like they took the best team survey and had you give verbal answers instead of disagree or agree

Had one with my stl. With whom I get along quite well. Just a regular consumables tm. The etl hr is also doing them. And the questions were like they took the best team survey and had you give verbal answers instead of disagree or agree
Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?
Like it was questions like, what do you think of your tl? What do you think our tl could do to be better? What do you think of your hr? What could they do to be better.
Who on your team is doing well?Who on your team is slacking? How is morale on your team? What could make morale better? What do you think of the stl? What do you think he’s failing at? What do you think he’s doing well at? Etc

Like it was questions like, what do you think of your tl? What do you think our tl could do to be better? What do you think of your hr? What could they do to be better.
Who on your team is doing well?Who on your team is slacking? How is morale on your team? What could make morale better? What do you think of the stl? What do you think he’s failing at? What do you think he’s doing well at? Etc
These questions are very invasive doing it as a 1:1. If they want to know then it should be done anonymously. Unfortunately, a lot of issues that the stores are having have nothing to do with the store, per se, but they are issues that are coming from corporate.

The stl asked what you thought of the stl? And what he is failing at? Awkward

Back