24-hour Merch Holds

starmaster1000

Master NCR Torture Device Operator
Does your store offer Guests the ability to hold items at Guest Service overnight?

My store has a rule of not holding it past 10 PM the next day so it has time to be reshopped.
We also don't hold yellow sticker stuff (Clearance, Online Item, As Is, Repackage), hot sellers, food and beverage, or high-value items like Apple products.

What does yours do? T.com says not to hold stuff.

BCDC7FAC-6E3D-4595-9FD6-E1D35BD78BA3.jpeg

We do 24 hour holds. We currently have no holds due to the holiday. We don’t hold clearance (anything with a sticker) or hot items like the limited time collections or new releases. Expensive electronics pretty much only get held when it’s an even exchange and another store in the area calls to make sure we have it. We offer no extensions on holds because people like to play too much and will keep extending and never actually buy it.

The other store in our area does absolutely no holds. They just tell the guest to order it for store pickup, which sometimes I wish we would do.

We do "24hour holds" and "No Sale or clearance" but it's really whatever an ETL says it is, not following any kind of policy. We had a clearance power wheels truck on hold for "24 hours" for 4 days for example.

We do end of next biz day holds for non-clearance, high-desire items.

But I think OPs clip from Target policy is for rain check items which would probably make it fall under the hot item category.

We don't officially do holds but will occasionally do so if the circumstances make sense (exchange, sending in Dad to get the right baby formula or diapers, registry stuff).

Normally it is until close of business the next day- non clearance. From about November 15 until the end of the year it is modified to 10pm same day- no clearance, hot sellers, etc No holds at all from Thursday-Monday. If we get a call from another store and it was a Target mistake we are likely to hold until next day. An example would be a pick up item that was damaged or they picked the wrong item and the other store doesn't have a replacement.

We do end of next biz day holds for non-clearance, high-desire items.

But I think OPs clip from Target policy is for rain check items which would probably make it fall under the hot item category.
Target puts their stuff under weird things.

The policy to not hold items already paid is listed under layaway. I hate Guests who think their Mini Cooper or VW Punchbuggy is gonna fit their 70" TV and then we have to keep it at Guest Service for a week while they find a friend with a truck.

35B33734-3BAF-4B4A-A652-7BBE918D98C5.jpeg

Does your store offer Guests the ability to hold items at Guest Service overnight?

My store has a rule of not holding it past 10 PM the next day so it has time to be reshopped.
We also don't hold yellow sticker stuff (Clearance, Online Item, As Is, Repackage), hot sellers, food and beverage, or high-value items like Apple products.

What does yours do? T.com says not to hold stuff.

View attachment 9179
This states rain checks, meaning no guarantee to hold sale merchandise. We hold just until close unless they specifically ask them we will hold 24 hours. But no later. But not from this week til Christmas.

I doubt it's changed since leadership hasn't changed. End of day, no clearance, no high demand item, no sale item.

No sale item was a biggie. We would have people calling to put lots of baby formula on hold when there was a gift card offer and the amount they wanted would wipe out the shelves, leaving none for guests already in the store. I absolutely hated the people that would try and do that because baby formula isn't easily switchable, so those people were knowingly willing to let other babies go hungry because they had to have that gift card guaranteed to them.

We do, and I wish we didn't. It takes up our OPU space (and then Front End complains that we put so much in the Front of Store since the GS space is full) and since it doesn't take them out of the system, they're still able to be ordered in SFS/OPU, I have to INF stuff staring me right in the face.

Sometimes we're allowed to hold items at guest service until the end of the day. Sometimes it depends on who the leader is though.

Oh wait! Isn’t opu, a paid for item?

Not completely. It's charged out when they pick it up. The difference between an OPU and a regular hold is that the OPU is no longer in inventory, where we could keep getting requests for that for example Nintendo switch that is just sitting on the hold shelf. We won't see orders for the Switch if it was an OPU order. If it goes return to stock then we could see orders for it again.

Not completely. It's charged out when they pick it up
They now are charged completely upon ordering.
Last year around Q3, they released the new OPU/DU info where it says it's no longer a hold, it's a full charge. If they cancel or abandon an item, we refund it.

Many of our Advocates keep telling guests, "you're not charged until you pick it up." Uhh yeah you are, that's why Target gives you the option of another store pickup, free shipping if it qualifies for shipping, or cancellation.

My store is a until end of the night hold, no overnight holds without a leader's approval. Guests that attempt "rolling" holds are asked to order the item via store pick up.

No prisoners here.

They now are charged completely upon ordering.
Last year around Q3, they released the new OPU/DU info where it says it's no longer a hold, it's a full charge. If they cancel or abandon an item, we refund it.

Many of our Advocates keep telling guests, "you're not charged until you pick it up." Uhh yeah you are, that's why Target gives you the option of another store pickup, free shipping if it qualifies for shipping, or cancellation.

I stand corrected cause we did not know that. I will pass that on cause communication in our store for the last year has been shit. So without this site I wouldn't know half the shit that goes on policy wise.

No clearance/discounted/paid for merch can be held. My store only allows us to put items on hold and they’re only on hold with the TM the guest talked to until the TMs shift ends. If the guest is late to show up and purchase it then it’s on them.

Back