Archived $8.00 Huggies Coupons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our store does not take coupons after the same day for that very reason. It makes a lot of people mad but it curbs the people who aren't so honest.
We also have started declining large returns of Health and beauty items. Our ETL AP and GE are just getting pissed at the over flowing carts of it and so we just say no. Our ETL-AP is kind of a hard ass and our theft has really gone down since he's been there. I love it when he's working because I can always count him to back me up when needed.

We can decline returns?

Does that effect your guest survey score?

Our store actully started enforcing the family size limit thing, and to curb our policy some ""guests"" like now do multiple transactions without coupons and then do missed coupons the next day at guest service. I really wish we could fix that loophole. Oh, and another thing intresting about these ""guests"". Not only to they buy huge quantities and forget coupons. They love to return everything a week or two later and get full refunds on the amount. So not only does spot have to pay cashiers to take these transactions, but they have to pay someone to restock after everything is said and done.

I wanted to add- The Gsl also mentioned to me that when the coupons scanned they took $10 off a $0.97 product....so this lady was obtaining $9.00 discounts on our gift cards. Our team member cards won't work, but coupon overage (which shouldn't work according to policy) does... Bullseye why is our register so weird?
They could....nowhere in the coupon policy does it state that you can bring your coupons back AFTER the transaction....all they would have to do is add a little verbage stating "coupons MUST be presented at time of transaction" ;) We had a guest try and bring in a "$15 gift card with new prescription" register coupon AFTER she picked up her prescription (and I'm talking like a week or more later). She sat and argued with me that she simply "forgot" it at home and couldn't I look up and see WHEN she had picked it up? I said I could, but there was no way to tell WHEN the coupon printed out. I've had guests tell me they forgot one before and have told them to bring it back within 24 hours and made a notation on the receipt and given it to them, but I was the one who had rung this lady out about a WEEK before and she hadn't made a peep so I'm sure it printed out between the time she picked up her script and the time she tried to bring it back because I'd be sure to mention it if I had one....

They could....nowhere in the coupon policy does it state that you can bring your coupons back AFTER the transaction....all they would have to do is add a little verbage stating "coupons MUST be presented at time of transaction" ;)

Actually, the policy does state that coupons MUST be presented "at the time of purchase" but the POS software will allow you to scan & do a fix-it for a missed coupon for up to several days after & we have several guests that know it, too. They always trot in the day after the weekly clipper comes out in the paper to see how many coupons they can get 'post-redeemed'.
Why can't corp fix that little loophole?

we don't take them after the fact because they could have printed them out later.. Sometimes they complain but most people get over it. The only time I will take it the next day is when it's a regular that i know isn't abusing the system.
Also, according to our ETL-AP any ETL can decline a return as they feel necessary. This isn't often done but he will in cases of large returns and/or something he thinks is stolen. We currently have a "ring" going around all the targets and when some specific items are returned without a receipt we tell them their id's are full and we can't do anything. They never argue so you know they're obviously scamming us. Our AP team and our ETL-GE are currently working with our district AP and corporate to find a way to stop the coupon fraud in buying and returning items for full price. I know that we have to give back the full value since we get reimbursed but it's just crazy that they can do this. I know a lot of you guys hate the couponers but when they aren't abusing the system I see no problem with it and these people are just ruining it for everyone.

Also another reason we don't take coupons after the fact is because it doesn't allow the system to decline them and it's harder to match up coupons because a lot of the time the receipt will just say "tide" and you can't verify that it's actually the correct item.

We started this after a lady came in the day after the fact and had 50 coupons and it just seemed shady.. later that week i was at walgreens and she was doing the same thing. I brought it to the AP and ETL-GE and they decided that that had to stop. Seems like that would be a policy everywhere.

Actually, the policy does state that coupons MUST be presented "at the time of purchase" but the POS software will allow you to scan & do a fix-it for a missed coupon for up to several days after & we have several guests that know it, too. They always trot in the day after the weekly clipper comes out in the paper to see how many coupons they can get 'post-redeemed'.

I don't think corp will fix it. The loophole really only accounts for a small percentage of guests, and they're all about the bigger picture. FixItFast helps keep up survey scores and in their eyes, scores a bigger problem than fraudulent coupon use :/

Its unfortunate that the convenience that our Guest Service gives 95% of the guests, you'll get the 5% that take complete advantage of it.. but that's life.

If you guys are looking for reasons to decline coupons, look on the coupons themselves. Every Target coupon has the same rules and restrictions stated on the right side and most manufacture coupons state the same. You should never have a guest get away with having a 10 dollar coupon for a 1 dollar item because it says right on the coupon that the coupon may not exceed the value of the item. That's all you need to deny a coupon. It's also stated in our policy that you can use one manufacture and one target as long is it does not exceed the value of the item being purchased. "Overages" are the biggest excuses guests have as well as "but you can just hit accept anyway." I'm the head of coupon police and will never take these coupons and I've gotten my ETLs to back myself and our GSAs on this one. Also, we've been denying returns with heavy coupon usage because the guest is "net-profiting" off the coupons, creating a loss to the store.

No transaction should end up being free. If it is, you haven't carefully looked at all the coupons.

Flat out deny the coupon. If the guest says that you can adjust the coupon or the register will automatically do it, you need to tell them they are correct, however the coupon says that it shall not be accepted if over the value of the item. For example:

Item being purchased is 5 dollars. Guest has a 3 dollar off manufacture coupon and a 3 dollar off manufacture coupon. One it's against the law to adjust a manufacture coupon and target got sued for it. And all target coupons say it cant exceed the value of the item. So just politely say "the two coupons you're using exceed the value of the item you are purchasing, I can only accept one of the coupons" and that's all you have to say. Keep saying it if they give you a fight.

I'm the head of coupon police and will never take these coupons and I've gotten my ETLs to back myself and our GSAs on this one. Also, we've been denying returns with heavy coupon usage because the guest is "net-profiting" off the coupons, creating a loss to the store.

No transaction should end up being free. If it is, you haven't carefully looked at all the coupons.

PLEASE transfer to my store...

Lol just talk to your GSTLs and ETLs about what I said and maybe they will change! I mean you could just read the coupon to the guest and thats how you deny it. It's saving target a lot of money.

My ETL-GE even calls me when she sees people walking around the store with coupons so i can look for them at the check lanes to make sure their coupons are legit.

^You're my new hero.
Wish my ETL-GE would back us up this way.

i talked to my ETL-GE today and ETL-AP and they're going to look into this more. Thanks for the tips!

Sorry, it says SHOULD, not MUST. I'm a couponer (although not a rabid one, don't have a binder or anything) so I know most of the store policies pretty well ;)
Straight from the website:
All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier during checkout

Flat out deny the coupon. If the guest says that you can adjust the coupon or the register will automatically do it, you need to tell them they are correct, however the coupon says that it shall not be accepted if over the value of the item. For example:

Item being purchased is 5 dollars. Guest has a 3 dollar off manufacture coupon and a 3 dollar off manufacture coupon. One it's against the law to adjust a manufacture coupon and target got sued for it. And all target coupons say it cant exceed the value of the item. So just politely say "the two coupons you're using exceed the value of the item you are purchasing, I can only accept one of the coupons" and that's all you have to say. Keep saying it if they give you a fight.

I'm not trying be rude here, but that is incorrect. What your supposed to do is scan the manufacturer coupon first, then scan the target coupon and the register will adjust down the target coupon. Also, you can simply write the item value on the coupon and manually punch it in through K4-Discount,Coupon,Manufacturer Coupon and then amount. You really are technically supposed to accept the coupon...according to the company policy.

Lol just talk to your GSTLs and ETLs about what I said and maybe they will change! I mean you could just read the coupon to the guest and thats how you deny it. It's saving target a lot of money.

My ETL-GE even calls me when she sees people walking around the store with coupons so i can look for them at the check lanes to make sure their coupons are legit.

Target actually gets reimbursed for all of the manufacturer coupons. And if a guest returns something bought with a target coupon the amount is deducted from the return. The reason target gives money back for coupons is they have already been sent to a processing agent and they can not be given back to the guest.

Target actually gets reimbursed for all of the manufacturer coupons. And if a guest returns something bought with a target coupon the amount is deducted from the return. The reason target gives money back for coupons is they have already been sent to a processing agent and they can not be given back to the guest.
Also not trying to be rude, but that's not always true...I've purchased quite a few items with Target coupons that the register doesn't recognize....both the catalinas and the target.com coupons. And yes, I'm sure the items I've purchase have "matched" what the coupons are for. Many guests also realize this and take advantage of it. They buy a ton of stuff with stacked coupons, then return ALL of it and MAKE $$ on the return.

Also not trying to be rude, but that's not always true...I've purchased quite a few items with Target coupons that the register doesn't recognize....both the catalinas and the target.com coupons. And yes, I'm sure the items I've purchase have "matched" what the coupons are for. Many guests also realize this and take advantage of it. They buy a ton of stuff with stacked coupons, then return ALL of it and MAKE $$ on the return.

they now have a new policy about declining those returns.

Really? When did it come out because I'm sure our store doesn't know about this based on a situation that happened not too long ago....

Guest Service needs to be keeping track of when these returns are happening and reprinting a receipt after these returns and letting AP know right away. Once AP documents this return by a guest the next time that person tries a return again GS needs to call up either ETL-AP or another ETL if they aren't there and have them decline the return. I personally saw this new policy from spot and what the ETL's need to say to the guests regarding these returns and how to decline them.
Every ETL actually has the authority to decline any return if they have a reason. These returns will only stop if you have a good AP team who is helping the front end team enforce the limits on coupons and documents these returns.

Guest Service needs to be keeping track of when these returns are happening and reprinting a receipt after these returns and letting AP know right away. Once AP documents this return by a guest the next time that person tries a return again GS needs to call up either ETL-AP or another ETL if they aren't there and have them decline the return. I personally saw this new policy from spot and what the ETL's need to say to the guests regarding these returns and how to decline them.
Every ETL actually has the authority to decline any return if they have a reason. These returns will only stop if you have a good AP team who is helping the front end team enforce the limits on coupons and documents these returns.

And if your store doesn't HAVE an ETL-AP or even anyone in AP???

In this particular case, the guest somehow manipulated the coupons so they all printed on the receipt as "coupon" (the GSA thinks she manipulated the print settings to print them VERY light so the scanner wouldn't read them, almost as if she was running out of ink). When they looked up her receipt, she had no "history" of returns so they couldn't decline it on that, but they DID end up declining it. I guess the LOD told her that they needed an ETL's "approval" to do a "cash refund" of that amount (it was close to $400), particularly given the ambiguity of the coupons (which the ETL would also have to look into) and she would have to come back the following day. Needless to say, she didn't come back ;)

My new ETL-AP is awesome. He's the only ETL that will flat out deny a return if its fishy - no questions asked. The other ETLs will beat around the bush and end up giving the guest 18 apology coupons and whatnot. Prior to him coming to our store our return policy was very lax.

And if your store doesn't HAVE an ETL-AP or even anyone in AP???

Every store has some form of AP. Low-volume, low-risk stores usually just have an APL. Not sure of your volume or risk level, but I'm sure you have someone who answers those "Hardlines 4" calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back