Archived A Few Questions Before 1st Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CrestFallen

Hey ya'll!

I've was hired almost a week ago, just awaiting my orientation. So, I'm super excited and anxious, waiting for my first day!
But I have a few questions since this is only my second job:

1. Do Cash Registers have a Calculator that tells you how much change you have to give back? Or is it up to me to do the counting?

2. Any tips selling RedCards? Like what's the benefits, types and proper approach to promoting them?

3. What is a typical shift for Men's Apparel like?

4. What do you do if you find stolen items
(i.e. loose/empty packages)?

Any other tips I should know before I start work?
Thanks, for any and all help!

Hey ya'll!

I've was hired almost a week ago, just awaiting my orientation. So, I'm super excited and anxious, waiting for my first day!

1. Do Cash Registers have a Calculator that tells you how much change you have to give back? Or is it up to me to do the counting?
The register tells you how much change is due to the guest if you input it correctly. I know my store has calculators available if you make a mistake. If you don't ask for one.
2. Any tips selling RedCards? Like what's the benefits, types and proper approach to promoting them?
Just ask every guest. They save 5% on almost every purchase with our debt or credit. Plus free shipping and occasional promotional sales with their red card. Usually guests who are spending alot are the best to ask. I know I ask " are we helping them save 5% on today's purchase?" But everyone has different pitches
Asants. Based on business needs.
4. What do you do if you find stolen items (i.e. loose/empty packages)?

We turn them into AP. Noting location date and time.

Just wait til you start. You’ll get all sorts of info thrown at ya.

...that's what I was afraid of! 😝
I know. I just like to be prepared for everything in life. It's how I've always been. But I don't have anything to really read about how to work here, so I've just been scouring the internet!
I've come across some good tips- but you can never know enough, right?

EDIT: Thanks @NKG

Hey ya'll!

4. What do you do if you find stolen items
(i.e. loose/empty packages)?

1. Yes it does automatically calculate stuff for you. Of course you have to count how much they give you but how much the guest gets back in change is prompted by the register.
  2. Whenever your selling redCards make sure to let them know that with all purchases they'll be saving 5% and if they're not interested in the credit card there's always the debit card option they just need a blank check.
  3. Depends if you're they're dayside it's pushing out style racks(hanging items) and metro racks(basics(a.k.a. undergarments),accessories, and folded merchandise. Also if you're scheduled to do VMG you pretty much go through the whole department organizing everything to Visual Merchandising Guide. If you're closing in men's just be ready to fold 75% of your shift because men's is one of the more fold heavy departments in softlines. Also make sure racks are sized and fingerspaced and carry extra size tabs with you in case size tabs are missing.
  4. Usually at my store we'll call AP either to the fitting room or the area we found the item in and they take care of it from there.

1. Yes it does automatically calculate stuff for you. Of course you have to count how much they give you but how much the guest gets back in change is prompted by the register.
  2. Whenever your selling redCards make sure to let them know that with all purchases they'll be saving 5% and if they're not interested in the credit card there's always the debit card option they just need a blank check.
  3. Depends if you're they're dayside it's pushing out style racks(hanging items) and metro racks(basics(a.k.a. undergarments),accessories, and folded merchandise. Also if you're scheduled to do VMG you pretty much go through the whole department organizing everything to Visual Merchandising Guide. If you're closing in men's just be ready to fold 75% of your shift because men's is one of the more fold heavy departments in softlines. Also make sure racks are sized and fingerspaced and carry extra size tabs with you in case size tabs are missing.
  4. Usually at my store we'll call AP either to the fitting room or the area we found the item in and they take care of it from there.

2. So they need to bring in a blank check only if they're signing up for a Red Debit card, in the store, right?

- The POS system will display the change to give back. In case of inputting the wrong cash amount is common and nothing to worry about; but ASANTS, in my experience each cashier lane has a basic calculator for such.

- When working a cashier shift, you will be expected to promote the RedCard to EVERY GUEST expect for kids. Floor TMs don't necessarily have to promote the RedCard to guests on the floor but it helps.

• Evening shifts will concentrate on zone recovery and reshop.
  • Day shifts will be pushing stock to floor, zone recovery, reshop.
4. What do you do if you find stolen items (i.e. loose/empty packages)?
  • Open/Missing packages - ASANTS. Either Fitting Rooms or Guest Service.
  • Empty package - VERY ASANTS. Some stores will have a dedicated box/cart at Guest Service. Some will have a box within the TMSC. Some will have a box back in the backroom.

Last edited:
Will you be a cashier or softlines? Because a cashier won't need to know about men's apparel or missing packages.

@Anelmi I'm going to be working Men's Apparel. But this is just in case I am trained as a backup Cashier.

@buliSBI Thanks! Doesn't sound so different than my last retail job!

Thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate this! I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible, before I start working here. Better to go in having too much information, as apposed to having too little.

1: yes
2: be nice and relatable to customers. it honestly mostly depends on if someone actually wants one in the first place but with some persuasion you can manage one.
3: depends what time you stay. If it’s earlier in the morning you would probably be pushing for a couple of hours maybe and then off to zone(tidy up) the department.
4: it depends on your store. Our store we just take the tags up to Guest Services and we’re done with it. Other stores you might have to record where you found it and what time. ASANTS!

1: yes
2: be nice and relatable to customers. it honestly mostly depends on if someone actually wants one in the first place but with some persuasion you can manage one.
3: depends what time you stay. If it’s earlier in the morning you would probably be pushing for a couple of hours maybe and then off to zone(tidy up) the department.
4: it depends on your store. Our store we just take the tags up to Guest Services and we’re done with it. Other stores you might have to record where you found it and what time. ASANTS!

Thanks @Sofwgkta and others . I feel a lot easier about heading into work now. I guess I just want to be sure to impress my team and leads, and to be able to properly do my job.

I feel like I'm much closer to understanding what my first day will be like.

Side Note: I didn't realize what "ASANTS!" meant, before googling it. Up til' this point it sounded very aggressive anytime someone yelled "ASANTS!" at a Team Member asking a question! I thought it was some kind of curse! 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back