Absenteeism

I called out Wednesday & Thursday this week due to being sick. I plan on going Friday & Saturday but leave early to avoid being marked absent. How long do I have to be there not to be marked absent? My hours are 2:30p to 11pm.

I called out Wednesday & Thursday this week due to being sick. I plan on going Friday & Saturday but leave early to avoid being marked absent. How long do I have to be there not to be marked absent? My hours are 2:30p to 11pm.

Either go in or don't.
If you don't feel well enough to work then showing up isn't going to do you any favors.
Going in and bailing halfway through isn't going to be the smart move you think it is and working at 1/4 speed isn't either.
For too many years I showed up for work no matter how sick I was, because I didn't want to let my coworkers down, because I didn't have health insurance, because I wouldn't have been able to pay the rent otherwise, because we live in a capitalist hellscape, because I had bosses who wouldn't tell me that it was more important to take care of myself than the job.
So now I have permanently fucked up sinuses and knees, because no matter how bad a shape I was in I went back to work.
Don't do that to yourself, take the time you need to get better.
If they can't handle that, find a job where they can.

Last edited:
No shame with taking a sick day or two. Call it in, get better then go back to work.
I had a co-worker that had FOUR teeth pulled and still came to work the next day.

This person is over 70!

Don't part timers get short term disability based on the hours?

If so I would have the dentist give me a note and contact HRBP beforehand the extraction.

PS IMHO this TM is best one in my department.

Last edited:
I had a co-worker that had FOUR teeth pulled and still came to work the next day.

This person is over 70!

Don't part timers get short term disability based on the hours?

If so I would have the dentist give me a note and contact HRBP beforehand the extraction.

PS IMHO this TM is best one in my department.

I had gotten in for free dental work and they said I needed to have all four of my wisdom teeth pulled.
If I was going to not have to pay I had to get it done right then even though I worked that night.
It took more than 4 hours to get them out.
10 minutes for the top two and the rest of the time for the bottom that had roots deep in my jaw.
I went to work and remember nothing I was so high.
Good thing I was running the brigade and they were a good crew or I would have been so screwed.

We had a FedEx courier (woman about 50 yrs old) schedule a colonoscopy without general anesthesia early in the morning so she could work in the afternoon. She picked up at our office daily around 5pm. Tough as nails.
I've read that this isn't as awful as it sounds and am considering it for my next one. (So glad this in one of those every-10-years things because the prep really is awful.) It's only mildly uncomfortable and you can see what the doc sees on the scope, if you're interested and your doc is okay with it. And you don't lose a day being doped up and out of it. This is assuming that no polyps are found and require removal - I can see where that could be worthy of anesthesia.

As for the OP's situation, I'm more inclined to take the time off and get better. If you have any sick time available, use it. Especially if you're contagious and not masking - other TMs don't need your germs.

They say is a twilight anesthesia, very short lasting. Needle in the wrist, count down from 10, ears begin to tingle and the next thing you experience is your wife, husband, partner, significant other, driver or who the hell else is with you at your bedside with a nurse watching you. Nothing to it. Yea, the prep is horrible but it sure as hell works. Liquid is awful, Osmoprep pills are ok. It's a very important procedure. The Old polyp ladened Captain kinda likes it. Very restful.

They say is a twilight anesthesia, very short lasting. Needle in the wrist, count down from 10, ears begin to tingle and the next thing you experience is your wife, husband, partner, significant other, driver or who the hell else is with you at your bedside with a nurse watching you. Nothing to it. Yea, the prep is horrible but it sure as hell works. Liquid is awful, Osmoprep pills are ok. It's a very important procedure. The Old polyp ladened Captain kinda likes it. Very restful.
Short-lasting yes, but it made me loopy for the whole day. Of course, I don't actually remember being loopy, just what I was told. It seems that I was especially concerned about what time it was, like I couldn't look at my watch or a clock and understand it.
I've been a nerd about biology, anatomy, all that stuff since high school so I think it might be kind of neat to see.

Short lasting in that from when they inject into the wrist port to when you wake up is less than 30 mins. Yes, in some folks the feeling lingers. Mrs. Captain is out of it for hours, faster for me. I watched Mrs. C's C-section. That was cool. Super confident obstetrician, he and the staff were bullshitting about golf. Before we knew it out came little Captainette. I held her like a football.

I called in sick the other day using the app over 20 hours before the start of my shift the next day.

I live in a state in which we get sick pay so I added said it at that time.

When I had my review the other day my TL said they know have to a "conversation" every time there is a call off.

I told him I used the app and used sick pay so what's the deal.

Both my TL and the HR ETL gave me some BS about having discuss when I don't come to work.

They never did this in the past if you called in sick.

I did learn later that day they had numerous call offs that same day.

The lesson I learn here was if I call in sick again I will do right before my shift.

Idiots

PS I should told the my TL and HR ETL that all those people skipped work to go to the union organizing meeting!

I called in sick the other day using the app over 20 hours before the start of my shift the next day.

I live in a state in which we get sick pay so I added said it at that time.

When I had my review the other day my TL said they know have to a "conversation" every time there is a call off.

I told him I used the app and used sick pay so what's the deal.

Both my TL and the HR ETL gave me some BS about having discuss when I don't come to work.

They never did this in the past if you called in sick.

I did learn later that day they had numerous call offs that same day.

The lesson I learn here was if I call in sick again I will do right before my shift.

Idiots

PS I should told the my TL and HR ETL that all those people skipped work to go to the union organizing meeting!
Our TL's always have a convo with TM's when they come back from a missed day, even if they used Sick Pay, mainly just to check in and see how they're doing. If SP is used, it's not a documented absence.

Our TL's always have a convo with TM's when they come back from a missed day, even if they used Sick Pay, mainly just to check in and see how they're doing. If SP is used, it's not a documented absence.
"Our TL's always have a convo with TM's when they come back from a missed day,"

My store has rarely done this until lately.

We had a FedEx courier (woman about 50 yrs old) schedule a colonoscopy without general anesthesia early in the morning so she could work in the afternoon. She picked up at our office daily around 5pm. Tough as nails.
This is against HIPPA..

Back