Accidentally took keys home & they got stolen!!!

I’m fairly new to target I’ve only been there since July. I accidentally took home the back room keys, I informed my ETL as soon as I got home and noticed. But it was Christmas Eve so I agreed I would bring them back the day after Christmas. I left them in the center console of my car so I wouldn’t forget/lose them at home. When I went to work because I’m usually in a rush in the mornings and I forget things. Long story short, someone broke into my car early Christmas morning. Ransacked my car, stole my wallet and the target keys!!!! I hadn’t been outside the whole day so I didn’t even notice until 5pm Christmas Day. I called my SD and informed her. She said we have to fill out a report and everything. Does this mean I’m getting fired? I super duper worried! I need this job and I just had an interview for a promotion. If this a fireable offense?! I’m really worried!

Never leave anything of value in view in the car. It doesn't matter where you live, thieves are everywhere. I'm in the suburbs, nice quiet area and on my dog walks I see so many cars with GPS units visible, windows down, etc. Parallel to the assholes who leave their front doors open, maybe the storm door is closed but their 56" wide screens are visible from the street. Invitation to a home invasion, robberies, physical assault. Hopefully you'll get off with a warning as you are beyond 90 days. Thieves have more balls than brains, we had a rash of tire/wheel thefts here targeting Honda Accords. Pictures posted of these cars on cement blocks with all 4 gone! Unbelievable.

You should file a police report and bring a copy to work.

I second this. This should be done as soon as possible. You're a victim of a crime. It won't only help absolve your conscience but it'll help at work to absolve you of any wrong doing. I kind of doubt they'd go past writing you up for it but if you prove your innocence through a signed police affidavit/report then you're 100% fine.

See this why you don't leave valuables in car. Christmas leave people to busy clebrating to pay attention to their valuables so it's a perfect time for thieves to steal from you. Sorry your Christmas was ruined by theft.

There will probably be some more waiting while they work with district level HR to figure out what will happen. You were honest about it from the start ,so I hope that will help your case. If there is a magnet and lock up key, it will be worse for you. If the thief has your wallet, so I assume he knows where you work. They may have to recore the locks.

Do what the store asks about it (police report, etc). I would anticipate some consequences, but with luck, you won't lose your job.

Good Luck.

There was a magnet, electronic lockup keys and the wave. I didn’t file a police report tho. Is it too late now? It’s already been more than 24hrs.

I doubt you’ll be fired (tho they have fired for less..) but do expect a corrective action or final. The security keys are escalating this beyond baler/WAVe keys.

Not to sound all doomy and gloomy... A long time tm at my store got an immediate final for losing the electronics keys at my store. ASANTS, but I'd follow the advice given here to mitigate your problem as much as possible.

Unrelated, but someone one broke into my car and ended up stealing... an insulin syringe, my loose change and a pack of Starburst jelly beans.

I realize the syringe probably attracted them, but taking the jelly beans in September when we're pretty much as far away from Easter as possible was just cold!

Once my apartment neighbor’s car was seen in the morning with all of its leather seats stolen. They first killed the street lights and then car alarm wires were seen cut. The window glasses were broken. The thieves kept the kid’s car seat safe in a side. Police did nothing. They told they are helpless. As there are no witness or camera in our apartment!! But I wonder my the seats!!!

It will be a corrective action final warning for the key even tho it was stolen... you signed keys out and ultimately your responsibility. Even in this situation. Your store will have to recore all the locks for the ELEC lockup and every lock in the ELEC department will have to be changed = costing Target $$$.

Please file a police report. ASANTS, you will probably get written up over the stolen keys, but probably not fired. Someone lost the electronics/magnetic keys at my store, they were found hanging on a cart in the parking lot, and nothing happened to him. The electronic locks will need to be recored, but that is not a major expense, not going into detail, but it’s not a rare thing. Lucky it wasn’t store keys, which is a major deal. Good luck!

^This.
File a police report ASAP & take a copy to your store's leadership & AP.
By not filing a police report it could be seen as covering for someone you KNOW who took the keys.
Or flat out lying, too much of a fucking coincidence.

Reporting keys lost within 24 hours can only result in a corrective. Failure to report within 24 hours results in a final. Your AP will have to recore all the electronics locks in your store so it’s pretty expensive hence the reason for the corrective action. It will stay with you for 12 months but because it’s a conduct related corrective you are still eligible for transfers of you ever see the need in the next 12 months

Back