Acknowledging RDC

I'm just curious, do your stores acknowledge the RDC truck the moment it arrives or after the unload is complete? We acknowledge ours on arrival. I ask because out truvk arrived yesterday and was acknowledged. One of the vendors rhat sets displays got the notification their displays had arrived and then drove 4 1/2 hours to put the displays out only to find that our truck will be unloaded tomorrow... maybe. Just curious what the correct corporate policy is? Thanks

Best practice is to acknowledge it once unloads begins. However, many stores don't because of the negative impact on things like OPU, and your example, etc.

Best justification I think I've seen is that waiting to acknowledge can have a negative impact on the automated inventory corrections that go on behind the scenes. I'm not sure if I buy that, or if there's more to it. But the best practice is clearly stated.

My store has an overnight team and we acknowledge the truck after we unload AND push everything out. Sometimes they forget to acknowledge the truck and someone in the morning has to do it.

A couple of weeks ago a TL didn't acknowledge a food truck and a TM pulled of a bunch of three-tiers that had were basically backstocked.

It screwed up the weekly.pull percentages because it was a Saturday.

RDC is usually after unload is done. But I don't work with that truck so I can't speak to it.
FDC here comes in mid-afternoon. If there's frozen, it stays palletized in the freezer to be worked the next morning. The rest of the truck is broken down and sorted that evening and pushed the following morning. Truck is acknowledged at 8:30p the day it arrives so that OPU doesn't get orders for anything due that night. But that also allows us to be able to audit anything that comes in since the delay restriction (can't audit recently received) occurs overnight.

Thank you all. So yeah, again "Best Practice" are curse words at my store and we're lying so that corporate diesn't know it takes us 3 days to unload a 1600 piece truck... I wonder if I can find a cheap room for rent where we're moving and go a year before my wife to get away from this junior rodeo shit show...

RDC is usually after unload is done. But I don't work with that truck so I can't speak to it.
FDC here comes in mid-afternoon. If there's frozen, it stays palletized in the freezer to be worked the next morning. The rest of the truck is broken down and sorted that evening and pushed the following morning. Truck is acknowledged at 8:30p the day it arrives so that OPU doesn't get orders for anything due that night. But that also allows us to be able to audit anything that comes in since the delay restriction (can't audit recently received) occurs overnight.
Our FDC usually comes in the morning and they acknowledge sometime in the afternoon.

The TL acknowledges it before they leave apparently but I don't know when but it is not 8:30.

Our FDC are almost never broken down and sorted that evening either.

Thank you all. So yeah, again "Best Practice" are curse words at my store and we're lying so that corporate diesn't know it takes us 3 days to unload a 1600 piece truck... I wonder if I can find a cheap room for rent where we're moving and go a year before my wife to get away from this junior rodeo shit show...
What do you mean it takes you 3 days to unload a 1500?

3 days to unload a 1600 piece truck
Yikes. That's problem. If the truck gets acknowledged, do your OPU TMs crawl around inside the truck? That'd be pretty awful. Corporate's idea of best practice doesn't always work in real life. But 3 days to unload a truck is definitely not even halfway decent practice. Sorry your store is struggling with it.

Exactly, what I said... it takes my store 3 days to unload a truck which then ends up in the sweep truck being cancelled, I have just under 40 pallets waiting to be sent back. This store is afucking joke, and they refuse to do anything about it
How hasn’t your OD said anything ? That’s pure insanity. You can only put 24 pallets in the truck unless you do it unsafe and stack the bales and hangers .
But that’s crazy I am so sorry . If I was your receiver I would let the tl know he would have to do my sweep 😂

Yikes. That's problem. If the truck gets acknowledged, do your OPU TMs crawl around inside the truck? That'd be pretty awful. Corporate's idea of best practice doesn't always work in real life. But 3 days to unload a truck is definitely not even halfway decent practice. Sorry your store is struggling with it.
They could take 4-8 hours to unload for all I care and not push it . But to not unload for 3 days that store must be bloody red and the floor a GHOST town .

Best practice is to acknowledge it once unloads begins. However, many stores don't because of the negative impact on things like OPU, and your example, etc.

Best justification I think I've seen is that waiting to acknowledge can have a negative impact on the automated inventory corrections that go on behind the scenes. I'm not sure if I buy that, or if there's more to it. But the best practice is clearly stated.
That's the same justification I've heard, at least for early morning stores. Overnight stores are told to acknowledge as soon as possible (before midnight) to help with priorities.

Honestly, corporate just needs to add a delay to when product counts are updated for online orders after trucks are acknowledged. Back when COVID first happened, my store had a lot of issues because we'd get dozens of orders the second we acknowledged the truck (along with the issue of having guests grab items that were ordered between when they initially dropped and when they were picked, but that's another issue entirely). That meant we'd either have to set batches aside until the truck was finished or (for new/uncaring TMs) things we just received were being INF'd because they were still deep in the truck. This is clearly a consistent problem for a lot of stores, so it's strange that corporate isn't doing anything to fix it. Delaying counts isn't going to affect sales either way, so it's such an easy issue to address. The same goes for updating counts only when RTS is worked rather than when it drops in.

Last edited:
"Honestly, corporate just needs to add a delay to when product counts are updated for online orders after trucks are acknowledged."

That would improve INF significantly because the OPU team wouldn't have to sift through repacks and/or unbroken dairy pallets.

How hasn’t your OD said anything ? That’s pure insanity. You can only put 24 pallets in the truck unless you do it unsafe and stack the bales and hangers .
But that’s crazy I am so sorry . If I was your receiver I would let the tl know he would have to do my sweep 😂
Just how big is your backroom? I've about 12 spaces in the steel for bales, crc/salvage, repacks, empty pallets and recycled pallets for sweeps. Car seat recycled was alot of fun. 2 sweeps weekly.

Just how big is your backroom? I've about 12 spaces in the steel for bales, crc/salvage, repacks, empty pallets and recycled pallets for sweeps. Car seat recycled was alot of fun. 2 sweeps weekly.
For the vendor area or just total pallets space in receiving ? We hold 100 steel space . 30 just above the line.
We do daily sweeps . I don’t know how smaller targets do with onky 2-3 sweeps a week that’s just crazy.

For the vendor area or just total pallets space in receiving ? We hold 100 steel space . 30 just above the line.
We do daily sweeps . I don’t know how smaller targets do with onky 2-3 sweeps a week that’s just crazy.
Sweeps in my work area. Anywhere else I would have to move uboats, flats or the line out of the way. Pallets in some cases.

The receiver at my store is not allowed to put any pallets that are not vendors up on the steel . So no crc , salvage etc up. But like I said we daily sweeps
When we were getting trucks a week with a third sweep I still struggled. Early morning unload but the team spent alot of time emptying boats and flats before they could even start. Inbound would say truck is unloaded but the line and pipo pallets will still be on the truck cause there was no where to go with the stuff. Sometimes I didn't get it loaded and closed tilI 130 or 2. I was wanting to get the stuff off the steel before soda deliveries came because that would prevent me from getting the pallets from the steel.

I a
I am the receiver, but A) I have no say in anything and B) I'm told to do everything in the store except be in receiving. At least tomorrow I start getting a Task Sheet so I have proof when they try to say I'm not doing my job....

Tiny, the main aisles are lined with pallets as well as the 6 spots I have up in the steel... OSHA would love us, but our whole state apparently only has 1 inspector

Back