Active Shooter Training

Target's active shooter video training is very practical and relevant.
We might actually have better staff training than the Buffalo supermarket where this terrifying incident occurred.
Tops has no active shooter training. Cite: College project on supermarket training programs. It could of changed, but Tops is very low-budget on a lot of things.

I cannot even imagine how much sadness, pain, anger, resentment, and fear is being felt by the survivors of the deceased as well as the survivors and others at the scene.
For those of you who say "our prayers and thoughts are with you", this is the time to actually pray and actually think about the specific individuals and families who were affected.
I know people who died, it's intense... I lived near there years ago before I moved.

Last edited:
There is an active shooter training video available to TM’s on the clock through Percipio. You must be signed in on the clock or it’s a company violation. Active shooter training is very important and is it a huge safety concern. I lived right off the strip on 10/1/17. Something I wish never happened. RIP to all the victims and RIP to all the first responders who lost their life’s or were seriously injured trying to save the life’s of others. You will never be forgotten.
Save Season 3 GIF by FOX TV

200.gif

Last edited:
Tops has no active shooter training. Cite: College project on supermarket training programs. It could of changed, but Tops is very low-budget on a lot of things.

I know people who died, it's intense... I lived near there years ago before I moved.
Very sad event. Sorry for your loss. Know what to do, be quiet & know your options if you get cornered. I will fight to the end to stop them.

Very sad event. Sorry for your loss. Know what to do, be quiet & know your options if you get cornered. I will fight to the end to stop them.
Personally I have no family losses but have many friends who lost someone they loved. Thank you. We all wear red and could all be targets. Awareness is crucial.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have had training at my other job and I'd do something to help others. even if it is getting them to safety.
-
Personally I have no family losses but have many friends who lost someone they loved. Thank you. We all wear red and could all be targets. Awareness is crucial. My dad was in DS and was a Fireman and EMT before taking a job with the state. My step sister is a doctor. Just a serious subject and nothing to joke around about.
It is a sad event. We need more training on it in general. I don't even know if we have a walkie code about it or not.

I am lucky in that respect. We also have more exits I think, does not help with AP issues, but it is good for safety.
You may or may not be at the location of the target I shop at! We are all lucky. Target is a great company to work for.

Last edited:
There are all kinds of things that can be used in active shooter situations.
I have mass respect for the folks at the church in California who mass jumped the guy who was shooting them and hogtied him.
I don't expect that kind of bravery or organization in any situation but it's damned impressive when it happens.

I'm the first person someone is going to deal with coming into my office so it's kinda my job to make sure they don't get past me.
I have a container of wasp spray in my desk that shoots noxious foam 40 feet so you don't have to get too close to the wasps nest.
For wasps, of course.
I have a Stanley Fatmax Fubar under my desk "in case the elevator door ever gets stuck".
I have bags of heavy duty zip ties and duct tape in my desk as well.
But most of all we have a plan.
If the staff hear me yelling "Active Shooter - 911", they know exactly what do, where to go, who to call and how long to wait.
Having a plan is what makes the difference.

Last edited:
There have been copy cat threats in Buffalo today as well, including near a Target. Just, wow - someone mentioned they closed a local Target today. (1) Be careful - Conklin copycats are coming out already : Buffalo (reddit.com) - I didn't work today, so I don't know anything.
An active shooter scenario happens so fast and the situation becomes chaotic that awareness and proper training are our first lines of defense. You literally have seconds if that. It gets confusing with all of the different states and their own gun laws.

Last edited:
An active shooter scenario happens so fast and the situation becomes chaotic that awareness and proper training are our first lines of defense. You literally have seconds if that. It gets confusing with all of the different states and their own gun laws.
Yup! You never know what can happen.

There are all kinds of things that can be used in active shooter situations.
I have mass respect for the folks at the church in California who mass jumped the guy who was shooting them and hogtied him.
I don't expect that kind of bravery or organization in any situation but it's damned impressive when it happens.

I'm the first person someone is going to deal with coming into my office so it's kinda my job to make sure they don't get past me.
I have a container of wasp spray in my desk that shoots noxious foam 40 feet so you don't have to get too close to the wasps nest.
For wasps, of course.
I have a Stanley Fatmax Fubar under my desk "in case the elevator door ever gets stuck".
I have bags of heavy duty zip ties and duct tape in my desk as well.
But most of all we have a plan.
If the staff hear me yelling "Active Shooter - 911", they know exactly what do, where to go, who to call and how long to wait.
Having a plan is what makes the difference.
We always need a plan or standard. If I were you I would throw the wasp spray out and replace it with a can of bear mace! Jk but it is stronger

Last edited:
We always need a plan or standard. If I were you I would throw the wasp spray out and replace it with a can of bear mace! Jk but it is stronger

I work in a state office where we can't have weapons.
That was kinda the point with the wasp spray and elevator door opener.
If I could I'd have a shotgun under my desk.

Back