Archived Allergic Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if its just me or something that happens on occasion. When I started on flow team I would wear short sleeve shirts and would notice as I got home that my arms would get rashes and hives. I put witch hazel on them and took a shower and would start to clear up until I went to work again when same thing would happen. So I switched to long sleeves and the problem stopped for the most part except now in the summertime I get heat rashes from the long sleeves being damp all shift. This happen anyone else and if so, any other ideas. I assume its something in the cardboard boxes or glue thats doing it.

Could be but I worked in the trucking industry for 30 years and never had this kind of issue , only if I touched something without gloves or a spill happened.

I would itch a lot when I was on the truck. When I left the truck it stopped. So it’s something with the trucks. I felt like it was cardboard for me.

Do you work with Towels, Softlines or other Cloth items? If so its because of the Chemicals they're sprayed with and my suggestions is either asking to not touch them, Or wear Gloves. I've had several Co-Workers who have had to be reassigned due to an Allergy to the Chemical sprayed on our Towels.

I push all of it, HBA,Chem,Pets,Toys. All of it has cardboard and glue boxes. Thats what I figure to common thing is. I dont get like sneezing spells or watery eyes or anything so it must be a contact issue.

The glue in the corrugate is just starch, usually corn (my daytime job is analyzing boxes and other packaging). If you have plant or wood allergies, you could definitely be reacting to the boxes themselves, depending on your specific allergies and the composition of the fiber. Or as suggested, you could be reacting to the merchandise.

It definitely sounds like contact dermatitis (fancy talk for "skin inflammation from touching something"). Try taking Benadryl (because it's the least expensive antihistamine) before your shift and see if that helps to reduce or eliminate the reaction. Or its available in a spray or a creme for after the fact. If it does, I'd suggest talking to your doctor next about how to cope.

Hydrocortisone cream may be another thing to try.

You might also want to look into cooling sleeves. I'd love to link to them, but I've been trying over and over but the link box doesn't work, it just changes the link to "media" and gives a blank space.

Amazon has 4 pair for $11 in the google shopping results when you google them.

Hydrocortisone cream may be another thing to try.

You might also want to look into cooling sleeves. I'd love to link to them, but I've been trying over and over but the link box doesn't work, it just changes the link to "media" and gives a blank space.

Amazon has 4 pair for $11 in the google shopping results when you google them.
Try it without the "http://". That works on another forum.

On the other forum it was only Amazon links that had that issue.

I didnt know I develop to heat/extreme cold until I started working in market.

If they are bad enough they will come back every morning for about 3-4 days; I just take Allegra or Benadryl and stick it out for and hour or two until it subsides. I personally get no releif from hydrocortisone cream plus it’s expensive and not recommended to use for long. Benadryl or Arm and Hammer anti-itch is cheaper and more effective IMO.

I get stuff like that happening after throwing truck sometimes. Usually from boxes that end up with gray trailer grime coating the outside. Makes my hands puff up and itch like crazy. I can’t handle the natural fiber doormats we carry in home without getting a rash either. The solutions suggested here are all good. Try to make note of what you’re handling when it happens so that you can request to handle other things that don’t irritate you.

Those things are the worst. I spent some time rearranging them the other night and itched all over, from the fibers getting stuck in my clothes and scratchiness in general. It's like handling fiberglass.

Could be but I worked in the trucking industry for 30 years and never had this kind of issue , only if I touched something without gloves or a spill happened.
Allergies can appear out of nowhere. On average people in the US develop 100k new allergies a year.

And wash your hands/ arms up as high as you can a couple times a shift. Get the stuff off you will help even if you go back to working with the stuff. It has to rebuild on your skin to irritate you. It also gives you a clean surface if you want to use a allergy cream on your skin, it doesn't have to fight through the dirt to start working.

Tip from someone with allergies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back