Archived Already at $9.00....no extra raise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
This answer may actually be answered somewhere else, but at the moment I'm not finding it....so here goes....

Talked with my STL and asked about the $9.00 base pay. The answer to my question was that anyone who had an hourly rate of less than $9.00 would get a raise to get them to the $9.00. Then, depending on their work review they got an additional % if they qualified for it.

For those of us at (or above) the $9.00 only got our % raise. The STL said that there's nothing that he could do to make any changes to that. I asked why everyone didn't get the $.50 (our starting rate used to be $8.50) to make up for the change and he said that it is only to get the base pay to $9.00 and that there was no way that Target could afford the $.50 increase for all employees.

Before my review I made $9.12 an hour....with my 2% increase I am up to $9.40. So, am I to understand and accept the fact that new TMs will get $9.00 an hour.....and I will only be making $.40 more than some of the TMs that I have already trained?

I have been with my store for nearly 9 years. I'm fairly global. I am a good TM and a team player.
I'm really getting screwed here.....I'm wondering...is there any way possible for me to be able to get that extra $.50 an hour?
If so, who is it that I can talk to to get that difference?

and if not....now I have that extra motivation I need to search for another job.

2% feels a bit off, was your review that bad? You're certainly not at your cap yet. And depending on area, backroom/flow starts at 9.50

My review was Inconsistently Effective.....which isn't hard to get when they only have 10 points to "grade" you on.

The only way you will get that extra 50 cents back is to move to a different work center with a higher pay grade. Target (and life) isn't about being fair...it's about raising those at the bottom to a higher amount.

Heck, we could say it wasn't fair that you got to start out at $8.50. That's a heck of a lot more than many of us started at.

My review was Inconsistently Effective.....which isn't hard to get when they only have 10 points to "grade" you on.
I'll tell you a horrible secret. You get your score before we even write your review. All of those boxes,depending on who writes them, are likely bullshit. We have to shoehorn those into fitting that initial score that was, if you're lucky, actually decided by the person who wrote it and not just what came from above.

Something doesn't sound right. Now I am from a store that starts new hires at less than $8/hr. So my raise was HUGE since Ive been with Target just since fall. I am now at $9.15/hr. I got bumped up to $9, and then .15 more for the few mos. that I've been wearing red & khaki. None of the more experienced people were complaining about their raise, or lack of, so they apparently were given satisfactory raises.

This answer may actually be answered somewhere else, but at the moment I'm not finding it....so here goes....

Talked with my STL and asked about the $9.00 base pay. The answer to my question was that anyone who had an hourly rate of less than $9.00 would get a raise to get them to the $9.00. Then, depending on their work review they got an additional % if they qualified for it.

For those of us at (or above) the $9.00 only got our % raise. The STL said that there's nothing that he could do to make any changes to that. I asked why everyone didn't get the $.50 (our starting rate used to be $8.50) to make up for the change and he said that it is only to get the base pay to $9.00 and that there was no way that Target could afford the $.50 increase for all employees.

Before my review I made $9.12 an hour....with my 2% increase I am up to $9.40. So, am I to understand and accept the fact that new TMs will get $9.00 an hour.....and I will only be making $.40 more than some of the TMs that I have already trained?

I have been with my store for nearly 9 years. I'm fairly global. I am a good TM and a team player.
I'm really getting screwed here.....I'm wondering...is there any way possible for me to be able to get that extra $.50 an hour?
If so, who is it that I can talk to to get that difference?

and if not....now I have that extra motivation I need to search for another job.
Sadly, there is no one to talk to to get the extra .50 that you are talking about . Once, you are over the starting pay...you have to reply on merit raises etc. I can relate to part of what you are saying...in the fact that I was already making over 9 an hour and only got my merit raise. I simply try not to think about it and realize that its up to me to move on to bigger and better things. If I sat around and thought about it I would stay pissed off all the time ....and that would hurt me not Spot . I do think Spot could do better by its long time team members...but once again I try not think about it ...I just try to focus on bigger and better things .

I know a lot of team members that this has happened to. Since the minimum wage keeps increasing, a lot of our 5+ years team members are making barely above minimum wage. They'll get their 2% or 3% raise(which at 9 bucks an hour is only like 15-20 cents). Then minimum goes up 50 cents or so, and the cycle repeats.

The major problem though is the raise percentage. 2%-3% is insulting.

The only way you will get that extra 50 cents back is to move to a different work center with a higher pay grade. Target (and life) isn't about being fair...it's about raising those at the bottom to a higher amount.

Heck, we could say it wasn't fair that you got to start out at $8.50. That's a heck of a lot more than many of us started at.

I wish that I could say that I started out at $8.50, but nearly nine years ago it wasn't anywhere near that amount.

Had an interesting conversation with a TM tonight. She's been with Target about 4 years. Her hourly rate had been $8.40....but after her review she got the $.50 increase and a small percentage, too...so now she's at $9.12 an hour.......the same amount that I was at until my 2% raise. While I know that we're not promised that life will be fair, I'd really like to believe that sometimes life ends up fair in spite of everything.

With all of the comments here and from what my TM told me I know that I am getting screwed. Oh well.....this will be Target's loss.

My personal goal that I set for myself as I was driving home from work is to put in three applications a week until I find something else.
I know, three a week isn't a lot, but I know that this is a reasonable goal....and I hope that I can achieve it. Right now I am hoping that I will have a new job before the next school year starts in August.

Our STL was up at the front end today. We got 18 RedCards. I mentioned to my STL that I had been asking my guests today about the RedCard....and I said to the STL that I knew that he had heard me asking about the Redcard. He said that he had heard me asking. I then asked him how many RedCards I had gotten....and he said (as I already knew) that my number of Redcards was zero. So I said, you heard me asking, and I didn't get any cards...but the important thing is that I asked....right? He didn't respond. I can see the "fairness" in that.....even if you are asking, it is the NUMBER of RedCards that matter.....and only that...no nothing else matters..

Right now, one of the things that makes me angry is that as I am writing this post I am already crying because I love what I do and I don't want to have to leave.

While Target isn't fair, I'm wanting to know what the hell is the matter with me that I am having such a difficult time thinking about leaving Target?
I know that Target doesn't give a rat's ass about me...in my mind I understand this and I know that I have every right to feel angry.....I just wish that my feelings could catch-up with my mind.

fact is, if you want more, leave.

I've been at target for almost 5 years and this $9 minimum wage shook off my laziness to get out. A joke to be here this long and now only .91 cents more than new hires.

I got a new job that pays significantly more, shocked me even to see what I was worth to someone else.

I know....if I want more I have to leave......I know it.....I've now got to work on feeling this way.

You have five years and are making $.91 more than others.....so imagine how pissed I am at only making $.40 an hour more after close to nine years. So, all the more reason for me to get out. I've got to stop thinking about enjoying what I do and start to focus on getting paid more.

It's ok, I went from an EX review last year to an IE review this year based on feedback that my leader never delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back