Archived Any other TL's considering ditching Spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about had it with my store. There is no staff to get the daily work done. It used to be we'd have 40 plus carts of abandons at the end of every day. But now it is that the pulls pile up hour after hour until there are over 30 and not enough people to do them.

Plus we've created a store where we can't go from one part of the store to the next without being stopped by 5 guests that "need" help. Mostly we do their shopping for them. They even admit they haven't tried locating the 10 items they are asking me about.

And all of this is my fault for being TLOD that day. Apparently I didn't manage the 2 Hardlines TM's well enough to get all those pulls and abandons done at my Super Target that does almost $300,000 every day.

I don't have another job lined up, but I am still considering leaving before Christmas so that I can at least go home to see my family this year. Anybody know what I should expect from the STL and ETL-HR?

my personal mfeeling around this is that it is stupid to up and leave without having a back-up plan. if this has been going on for a while now, i.e. you being blamed for the store not staying on track when your TLOD you should have gone to your ETL long before it got to this point. If it has recently happened youre getting blamed and your HR sucks at staffing then blow them the fu** up. If you haven't been coached or anything like that I wouldn't leave because your "fed up with it" You have a secure job, it may suck right now, as it does in most stores during Q4 but you have a job and im assuming benefits. Go to work, do your job, and lead your team(big or small) and get chit done. If you get any retaliation then call the hotline and let them know what's going on. That will get their attention real fast and in a hurry.

I recommend finding another job before quitting.
I personally find my Target lacking any leadership. I go to work and see some TM abuse the lack of leadership. But it doesn't effect me as of yet. It's sad but I actually get more hours because of all the socializing TM do. Takes longer to complete the job.
Now if it ever started to effect me negatively than I will consider leaving.

The lack of leadership in my store is horrid. We are a revolving door of leaders at this point. They stick out their 18 months, and then get promoted to a position they aren't qualified for since they haven't done any work at their current position. My group is not promoting people that deserve the position/have worked for the position/make the biggest difference. I've interviewed for ETL and successfully passed round one. Waiting for group interviews. My ETL recently went to another store... and who do they place in the position as my ETL? Someone younger than me, who has been with Target less time than me, who has less experience or knowledge than me... who interviewed the same time as me. Thanks for the slap in the face, Target.

All that to say, I too am considering leaving. If they can't recognize the talent they have in me... or give me solid feedback on what I need to do to be ready to be an ETL... I'm going to have to find a company that will.

The lack of leadership in my store is horrid. We are a revolving door of leaders at this point. They stick out their 18 months, and then get promoted to a position they aren't qualified for since they haven't done any work at their current position. My group is not promoting people that deserve the position/have worked for the position/make the biggest difference. I've interviewed for ETL and successfully passed round one. Waiting for group interviews. My ETL recently went to another store... and who do they place in the position as my ETL? Someone younger than me, who has been with Target less time than me, who has less experience or knowledge than me... who interviewed the same time as me. Thanks for the slap in the face, Target.

All that to say, I too am considering leaving. If they can't recognize the talent they have in me... or give me solid feedback on what I need to do to be ready to be an ETL... I'm going to have to find a company that will.

That is a big problem with the company. When we talk about productivity throughout the company and its facets, I always point out some issues with the store operations and how to fix them. As inefficient as I think the operations are for the store, I think the way they handle people and hiring is far less efficient. Employees are resources too, and there is a limited supply of them. I am not talking about "treat your employees better" complaints, because that occurs when your operations are efficient and you "cut payroll" by improving your practices and therefore not NEEDING to spend as much payroll, along with having strong leaders that can make work engaging. I am talking about the lack of efficiency is recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training/developing people for your key roles. Target's structure for this is to "Toss as many recent college graduates at the wall and hope they stick for about 18 months"... This is not only a total waste of money (how many interviews did they go through and how many people were involved in the onboarding of this person from the first time they applied to the day they passed business college?) but also inherently forces out any talent on the team lead level as well. Honestly, why would you want to be an ETL if you know all your peers are not going to know what they are doing?

I find the operational piece the most interesting and the easiest fixes, and that is why I talk about them. Target also has a big issue with the way it handles its people as well, and that will require the most work to change.

Another ridiculous trend that I am noticing is a complete lack of support for the store-side talent and resources that Spot has. They have created a culture where ideas presented within a store are impossible to implement because everything is standardized and upper management is afraid to try something new. When I started, I was on a flow team that was continuously attempting new things. We tried some ideas that turned out terrible and other things worked out fantastically. We innovated, were agile and responded well to change. Target now is a hive of bureaucracy. It's insane that I suggest a minor process change to my ETL, who deflects to another ETL, and that ETL insists on asking the DTL's opinion(Holy chain-of-command, Batman). This is not a company positioned to utilize the talent it has. There is no decision-making or attempts to improve, simply a mentality that our TMs must be the problem and we must coach every little thing and performance them out. This shouldn't happen when we're understaffed and still beating our goals. Target has forgotten the value of developing the team and tweaking the processes.

I noticed this even in the hiring process. The lack of faith in the competence of leadership shined through - why else would you not trust them to conduct a decent interview? The way they go through that photocopied packet - asking those questions and only those questions. I found it both scary and pathetic at the same time.

I noticed this even in the hiring process. The lack of faith in the competence of leadership shined through - why else would you not trust them to conduct a decent interview? The way they go through that photocopied packet - asking those questions and only those questions. I found it both scary and pathetic at the same time.
Honestly, that doesn't surprise me. It's more of a CYA for HQ so that if someone were to claim they were discriminating they can document and show what was asked and what the response was. That and it makes it easier to directly compare candidates than if each interview is non-structured. That said, I've known a couple ETLs who would ask their own questions and improvise.

This is exactly correct. Almost all major retailers or other companies have moved to these behavior based, structured interview questions. They are consistent and easy to defend in court if needed.

That is a big problem with the company. When we talk about productivity throughout the company and its facets, I always point out some issues with the store operations and how to fix them. As inefficient as I think the operations are for the store, I think the way they handle people and hiring is far less efficient. Employees are resources too, and there is a limited supply of them. I am not talking about "treat your employees better" complaints, because that occurs when your operations are efficient and you "cut payroll" by improving your practices and therefore not NEEDING to spend as much payroll, along with having strong leaders that can make work engaging. I am talking about the lack of efficiency is recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training/developing people for your key roles. Target's structure for this is to "Toss as many recent college graduates at the wall and hope they stick for about 18 months"... This is not only a total waste of money (how many interviews did they go through and how many people were involved in the onboarding of this person from the first time they applied to the day they passed business college?) but also inherently forces out any talent on the team lead level as well. Honestly, why would you want to be an ETL if you know all your peers are not going to know what they are doing?

I find the operational piece the most interesting and the easiest fixes, and that is why I talk about them. Target also has a big issue with the way it handles its people as well, and that will require the most work to change.
any animosity towards target canada? they're hemorrhaging money while we're posting historic profits. why bother working hard when you're out performing expectations when your staff is getting cut because of a shitty roll out of canada?

any animosity towards target canada? they're hemorrhaging money while we're posting historic profits. why bother working hard when you're out performing expectations when your staff is getting cut because of a shitty roll out of canada?

I don't have any problems with Target Canada. While I think that its execution was severely flawed (and apparently rushed), I am simply pointing out that Target has current business practices that I find to be inherently inefficient with the resources we do have. Whatever Target has to do in terms of the quantity of resources it can provide for the store levels is one step (which Canada affected). My problem is with step two, which is what they do with those resources once they decide what is an acceptable amount of money to be spending.

Will your parents support you while you look? Do you have any reason to take a medical leave? Can you demote immediately? Can you handle just sucking?
You could just go home for xmas and call in every day you are out. Honestly you can do this without getting fired.
I quit my TL job without a backup - thankfully I have family that is supporting me but that shit was just ridiculous...criticism is at the max and super high stress...its bs. Quit, quit, quit...or just try to start a union?

Or sprain you ankle to get some time off, or hang out with some sick people.

Yes. Soon... Currently working on my master plan for quitting. I'm moving soon and was planning on transferring stores, but I think I'll find a real job instead. I plan on rickrolling the store over the intercom among other things when I quit.

I feel the same way! I am just trying to become a GSA but I know the feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back