Archived Any rumors yet on Black Friday open time this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if anyone has any "concrete" rumors on black Friday open time this year? It was mentioned at huddle tonight that the actual open time wouldn't be announced until 2 weeks priorwhich really isn't that far off either at this point...) but this site always seems to have a knack for getting the inside scoop.

Personally, I'm thinking if we're doing the midnight thing again (or worse yet, 10pm on Thanksgiving) this is it for me. Even after what I've managed to scrounge myself up to after 5 years with the company, it ain't worth giving up time with my family anymore.

I was just wondering if anyone has any "concrete" rumors on black Friday open time this year? It was mentioned at huddle tonight that the actual open time wouldn't be announced until 2 weeks priorwhich really isn't that far off either at this point...) but this site always seems to have a knack for getting the inside scoop.

Personally, I'm thinking if we're doing the midnight thing again (or worse yet, 10pm on Thanksgiving) this is it for me. Even after what I've managed to scrounge myself up to after 5 years with the company, it ain't worth giving up time with my family anymore.

Well, obviously I don't work for Target.... but we got an email with a list of expected reatiler hours on black friday and Target was listed as a 10PM open. We are supposed to visit everyone of our stores that day to make sure the Sony areas are in good condition, and they send us the hours we expected to start visting the stores.

It will be 10Pm unless Wally World or Best Buy does something completely insane (and stupid)

Well it looks like all the news stories and mass consumer feedback last year obviously went in one ear and right out the other.

lol jesus....it used to be like 4am a few years ago for almost every store....I can see in 2 years just every freaking store being open all thanksgiving....who gives a **** about your employees...just be open from like 4pm thanksigiving til closing the next day. You know the most rediculous thing about opening at 10pm...we are going to have to hire a crap load of people JUST for black friday since we would be open 24 hours straight...than let them go...awesome....or can anyone say double shift...opening than closing...oh ya..fun times

Sigh... This company is showing that they have nothing but disdain for its employees. A 10, or even 9, open time basically tells us that they just don't care about us spending time with our families. That means most will have to show up an hour or so early and some, like AP, will have to be there at least 2 hours early. That's 7-8 pm on the holiday. Of course, there's little chance of the company doing the right thing this year either and paying holiday pay for our entire shifts.

Sure they'll harp on their "we have to stay competitive" line but at the end of day this can't be driving enough additional sales. We all remember what last year was like come 4 am. The stores were ghost towns. Now its just gonna be midnight or 1 am when it completely drops off and we have an entire store of team members standing around twiddling their thumbs. Not only that, but are a token amount of additional sales (if there is even any additional sales?) really worth destroying they majority of the team members' morale?

My store didnt even come close to the projected sales last year. Within 3 hours we were sending people home and i was fighting to stay awake. We could always 10pm to 4am then open back at 8am.

Reactions: NOP
i heard 10pm. target doesnt give a rats ass about their team members, and it wont get any better. i also heard something about the price changes for toys which are usually done on the 24 happening on christmas day. so look forward to a christmas shift as well. or look for a 12am to 830am shift the day after christmas. say good bye to that time with family as well, however im sure gregg stuff-it-to-us-hafel will be warm in his bed.

So much for a work/life balance.

The toy markdown is the 26th. However I got an e-mail saying they want us to do it on the 24th. I certainly hope that means I can come in at 12am on the 24th and leave Christmas Eve morning...

Time to leave Target. Im so tired of spending all my weekends and holidays at Target while at the same time only getting 25 hours a week. Thinking about all the family time I have given to Target over the years makes me sick. Sure is a shame, I do enjoy the people I work with.

Last edited:
My store is awesome with keeping the work-life balance with the holidays, even with bizarre open times on Black Friday. There's enough of us willing to come in at whatever the opening time is that those who don't want to work until the afternoon/night on Black Friday do not have to.

We're not too concerned about what time we open since we're in Massachusetts, and apparently it's illegal for any retail establishment to have ANYONE in the building before midnight. Last year we opened at 1am, because there was no way to get everyone in at midnight AND open at midnight. So for us, worst case scenario, we open at 1 again. I'm totally cool with that, and like I said, as are enough of us to make it so those who don't want to work until later, don't have to.

Heard today it would be 10 pm !
I am wondering when I can sleep on thanksgiving ,since my husband and 3 kids will be off that day !!!
Sleep is overrated anyway!!!!

Ugh, they better not make working black friday mandatory for those of us who it is basically mandatory to work on Thanksgiving day. That is ridiculous.

Same here Rarejem. We got word from ETL-Log that the flow team will be taking a truck on Thanksgiving morning and that only those on flow who want to work Black Friday will. I was surprised because that's quite a few people they're letting choose not to work... We'll see if they don't get enough volunteers and have to change the plan.

Same here Rarejem. We got word from ETL-Log that the flow team will be taking a truck on Thanksgiving morning and that only those on flow who want to work Black Friday will. I was surprised because that's quite a few people they're letting choose not to work... We'll see if they don't get enough volunteers and have to change the plan.

if this were my store the flow team would be 'volunteered' to work Friday as cashiers.

Thanks Spot for caring or basically any retail company out there for caring. 10 PM?? No one cares about families anymore it's all about making money! Let's just stay open 24 hrs:wacko:

shhhh what are you doing.....they might just do that....or be open til like 4 so people can get their thanksgiving food.... close for a few hours and open right back up for black friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back