Archived Anyone else had an anxiety attack while working at target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalina

Bullseye Biatch!
I don't want to say too much and give myself away, but I've been having a problem reoccur a few times over the past few weeks send when it happened today I told a co-worker about it, and knowing I wouldn't bring it up because of my anxiety she brought it up to someone for me, a leader pulled me into an office and I pretty much lost it the second I sat down. There were other factors that mind you she may not have known about.

But long story short , has anyone else had some sort of anxiety attack while working? I'm worried what my leaders will think after seeing me break down like that. I'm thinking about putting in two weeks out of embarrassment, and hope someone can change my mind.

I've had so many panic attacks at work that it's not even funny. I even went to the hospital for one that seemed like it would never end. Don't worry about what others may or may not think. You'd be surprised how many TMs and TLs suffer from anxiety issues and are sympathetic. Don't let this get you down.

Communicate with your leaders about the situation, even if it's just one leader you're close to, and practice relaxation while at work. For me, it's as simple as going into the bathroom to breathe for a few minutes when it becomes too much. Find what helps you relax there, and do what you need to for your sanity.

Stay strong, hun.

It's ok. I actually am embarrassed to say it but, my old store still gives me anxiety every time I go inside. And I haven't worked there for about 9 months now! I usually go to the other Target in town even though it's further away from me just to avoid that place, and having to run into/talk to my old STL and ETLs who were all a quite toxic bunch.

I just about had a breakdown in the STL's office when he informed me I would be given a Final last year. I almost walked out on my shift right then and there.

Not yet but another team member had an anxiety attack recently. Luckily a very sweet TL was LOD and helped her out. She let the TM sit in her office until a family member came to get the TM.

We had a SLTM almost have one tonight. We had both LODs following a couple of shady, loud-mouthed, rude guests (who called me a bunch of names I won't get too specific about, because I didn't guest-service them, as instructed by the TPS on duty) and she was worrying about one of the LODs getting hurt so she kept repeating to me over and over "What if they have a knife?! What if they turn around and try to hurt her?! What if... (A bunch of other scenarios) and she was hiding behind a mirror in RTW quietly whispering all these things to me as I zoned the Mossimo Supply Co racks behind her so she wouldn't be left alone and scared. The guests started coming into RTW near us, but the TPS ran around the corner and took care of them real quick and recovered the products they had hidden, and she was able to calm down. I felt so bad seeing how worried she was, though.

Last edited:
Not an anxiety attack, but when it's very busy and a lot of people start asking for help at once, sometimes my heart races and I get shortness of breath. I haven't completely lost composure yet but I get anxiety often.

I get em every now and again, almost had one tonight. The first time I had one, it was for a good 2 hours straight. The ETL-HR basically let me sit in the STL's office to cry it out and see if I could go back to work, but in the end I wouldn't stop and went home.

I used to be really afraid of being vocal about my anxiety issues, but lately I've been pretty straightforward about it. I've told various TLs and ETLs what the signs are for my anxiety attacks. If I'm going to the restroom a lot, have a constant deer-in-headlights expression, appear REALLY happy (sometimes paired with super happy tone with extremely defeatist talk), start stuttering a ton, or go extremely quiet, then they know I'm gonna need a minute to cool down. It's kinda tough because I have so many different signs, but they've been really nice about it.

With the one I almost had, my body decided extremely chipper depressing words along with deer-in-headlights expression was the way to go. I wanna say the GSTL (who used to be in HR, and is one of my buddies) talked to the LOD because not long after I talked to the GSTL (a passing convo in which I cheerfully declared "I am not okay! I am done with today!") the LOD sent someone to help me with my go backs and zone

Anyways point is, your leadership will understand. They're human too and likely feel the same thing every now and then. Just explain to them that sometimes it happens and communicate what they can do to help you in case something like that happens again.

Every single day on the way to work I have a mini panic attack. Heart racing. Trouble breathing. Thing is, idk why. I like it. I'm not overly worried or stressed about going in.

Should I talk to my leaders? The one who pulled me into the office isn't the TL for my department, but she did bring in the gsa who was on duty. I'm just so embarrassed that they might think I'm just immature and crying over something stupid. There was more going on to make me have the attack, but because I was crying and struggling to get words out right, i only kept repeating the same issue. But I don't know if I can bring it up with her, without having another attack and embarrassing myself again.

I'd talk to a TL/ETL that you feel comfortable around. Even if you're not directly under them, that person can at least communicate it to your leader for you

I have them pretty often lately. There was one time it was really bad and I had to run off the floor crying. A bunch of people saw and told the LOD and some TLs and now they all think I "can't handle stress." Hm.

sure ..
g
Marnie-Meme-Alex-From-Target.jpg

I've had several at spot. Best case scenario is to share it with 1) The ETL of Human Resources. 2) A trusted TL or trusted ETL. Let them know your warning signs.. I.E. Sweating, dialated pupils, nausea, etc. Mine were so serious at one point, I became completely disoriented and needed to take a cab home. Luckily I remembered my home address because that was the only thing I remembered.

Suffering from 3 anxiety disorders, including panic disorder, means my anxiety levels can get insane. I have medication I can take on the spot if I need to, but I've been trying new techniques with my therapist to help calm me down when I get anxious.

My team knows I have anxiety as well as my TL. One of my coworkers is super understanding and let's me do dishes or something if I'm freaking out. Another TM suffers from anxiety too and she asks for a smoke break if it gets bad, so of course I say yes, and she rushes me to the bathroom if mine gets bad. You'd be surprised how many people really do understand and are willing to try and help.

It's not worth putting your 2 weeks in over embarrassment. I've had these thoughts too, and realized I let my anxiety win if I do it. The game plan is to keep moving forward, and quitting means I lost the battle. You have to do what's best for you, but definitely think before you act. I can promise you that others around you suffer from more than what meets the eye. Therefore, understanding (I know, I know, ASANTS) seems to be very big.

Not an anxiety attack, but when it's very busy and a lot of people start asking for help at once, sometimes my heart races and I get shortness of breath. I haven't completely lost composure yet but I get anxiety often.

same here, I have those moments. I calm down once I sit down on the jon. lol
It's so quiet in there I just do breathing exercises to calm my nerves.

I have them pretty often lately. There was one time it was really bad and I had to run off the floor crying. A bunch of people saw and told the LOD and some TLs and now they all think I "can't handle stress." Hm.
Tell 'em it's better than 'going postal' on someone.
This time it's a guest; next time might be a TM.

The few times I had a panic attack I'd run into the deep freeze & slow my breathing while counting the bodies.

Yes, absolutely. My leadership ignores it or says something like "doglover's in one of her moods again." Ugh.

Should I talk to my leaders? The one who pulled me into the office isn't the TL for my department, but she did bring in the gsa who was on duty. I'm just so embarrassed that they might think I'm just immature and crying over something stupid. There was more going on to make me have the attack, but because I was crying and struggling to get words out right, i only kept repeating the same issue. But I don't know if I can bring it up with her, without having another attack and embarrassing myself again.

There's nothing shameful about being human & sometimes needing a helping hand. Be sure to let the TL who helped you know how much you appreciate her kindness & how it made a difference to you. I'd write her a Vibe card also so it's on record that supporting TMs is also worthy of acknowledgment.

None of us know when WE might be the one who needs a warm shoulder to help us get past a difficult day. And we shouldn't be embarrassed when we do or when it's our turn to be the warm shoulder.

I've had them a few times where I go and sit in the bathroom for a few min and calm down. It sucks.

i get them sometimes, normally due to rude guests or softlines being a shitshow, being the only one in softlines because everyone else called out, and the LOD expecting me to run the phone, pick up the floors, sort reshop, and back up.

No, but there were a few times where I got close to quitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back