Archived Ap interview advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm a cart attendant but I just put in an app for ap because I was
Told by the team lead there was an opening any interview advice

CA is more rewarding than AP.

AP has to do CA duties, sometimes, along with other none AP stuff.

CA's just kick ass @ CA'ing...

At my store they do have to push carts but only when a ca isn't there other than that they only do ap things

Walk around and do nothing.

That would make me bonkers...

Dig around the leadership forum, there's a couple threads with similar questions. Target uses the s.t.a.r. Method. You may remember it from your initial interview... "tell me about a time". Star=situation, task, actions, results. Each story should have these parts. Minute or two for each answer. Questions will pertain to the characteristics of core roles of ap.

I was asked about working with others, a stressful experience, conflict resolution, and prior security experience. As I was an intern for my college's police department, which included patrolling the campus on foot, I used my experience from that so it was a piece of cake. My ETL basically offered me the position on the spot, but I just had to come in the next day to talk to the ETL-HR to be given my conditional and negotiate payrate.

My interview was much the same. Our district uses the team leader interview packets for AP interviews (TPS and up). I know some districts use the normal TM packets for TPS.

Your answers have to be a little bit higher scope than other positions. A TPS while a team member has access to some very sensitive information compared to most people in the store. So confidentiality is important. Another thing is your one of the only people in the store that will be able to physically put your hands on a guest, so good decision making is a must.

I just got hired as a TPS. The interview process for me was fairly simple. I was interviewed first by an HR representative and then by the ETL-AP. The questions all followed the basic format of "tell me about a time when...and what was the result". Examples being "Tell me about a time when you had to handle a stressful situation. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?" Your answers should be detailed, but concise. Don't answer with one sentence, but don't spend 25 minutes weaving a confusing, overly complex story. They basically want to make sure that you can deal with people, handle confidential information, and make good decisions under pressure. Just a note, make sure that you include the result in your answer. They will like it if they don't have to prompt you with "what was the result?" again.
I had no previous security experience when I went into the interview, but I was able to answer many of the scenario questions with examples from my previous experience in school and working in a grocery store. Use your retail experience to your advantage. Stay calm, don't trip yourself up, answer clearly and concisely, and you should do fine!

I just went through the internal process. It looked like this:

First interview: ETL's/STL
Second interview: DTL
Third interview: APBP

You're going to want to get your hands on the "Leadership Expectations" sheet with the list of leader terms and make a situation for each. It may be tough because you were a cart attendant, but don't let that discourage you. No matter how small, make a story. They need to have the situation, what you did about it and the result. DO NOT forget to include all three parts. (It should be split with the middle the largest amount of time). Having your stories memorized will help you.

"Tell me about a time...." Now you use your stories and morph them into the situation they are asking for. If you have them memorized you can mentally cross them off. You shouldn't need to make up any stories on the spot if you have 8-10 memorized and ready to go.

Make sure to use your TLs/ETLs to mock with. I did this about 5 times in full professional interview situations. It was stressful, but by the time of my interviews I was PREPARED.
Your interviews will most likely be on the phone, which you can use to your advantage! Have notes.

I just went through the internal process. It looked like this:

First interview: ETL's/STL
Second interview: DTL
Third interview: APBP

You're going to want to get your hands on the "Leadership Expectations" sheet with the list of leader terms and make a situation for each. It may be tough because you were a cart attendant, but don't let that discourage you. No matter how small, make a story. They need to have the situation, what you did about it and the result. DO NOT forget to include all three parts. (It should be split with the middle the largest amount of time). Having your stories memorized will help you.

"Tell me about a time...." Now you use your stories and morph them into the situation they are asking for. If you have them memorized you can mentally cross them off. You shouldn't need to make up any stories on the spot if you have 8-10 memorized and ready to go.

Make sure to use your TLs/ETLs to mock with. I did this about 5 times in full professional interview situations. It was stressful, but by the time of my interviews I was PREPARED.
Your interviews will most likely be on the phone, which you can use to your advantage! Have notes.
I'm interested what position this was for. For TPS all I had to do was interview with ETL AP and STL. For APS it was STL, Investigator, then APBP.

The leadership expectations is available on workbench.

I'm interested what position this was for. For TPS all I had to do was interview with ETL AP and STL. For APS it was STL, Investigator, then APBP.

The leadership expectations is available on workbench.

APTL

CA is more rewarding than AP.

AP has to do CA duties, sometimes, along with other none AP stuff.

CA's just kick ass @ CA'ing...
Agreed, some stores the TPS is just the indoor CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back