Archived Applied for Food Ave TL-help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signingminion

WAVing in the air like I just don't care
Our store is above head count from last year. A SrTL left, and or food ave tl is leaving. We brought in a tl from another store that "we aren't sure where she's going" and the fatl spot is open. After our fatl approached me and I chewed it over I decided to apply, even if it's just to continue to show interest in moving up.

I'm concerned I could get stuck there forever, especially if I do well. Our that they will use this opportunity to performance me out. I won't take it unless the raise its decent as it's harder to staff than pfresh. But I've got five years as a closing manager at McDonald's so the actual doing stuff will be easy.

Any tips for interviews specific to this slot? I only know if one other person who had applied, and he thinks he's gonna get it automatically, and I'd like to give him a run for his money.

Have you got a food handler's permit?
If not, your store would cover the cost if you take the test on-site (store workstation).
FA/SB should have at least one person who has a food handler's permit, usually the TL.
Pursuing one would indicate that you're thinking ahead & showing initiative.
FA/SB can be a black hole at some stores; you could be stuck there until someone else shows interest so it could be hard for you to get out. That's why you always want to cultivate a secondary person who can do anything & everything when you're not there. Think of it as grooming your replacement, someone you'd recommend to leadership if you were vacating the post.

I've been through the APtl interview for this store. Which I was told went well but they already had someone picked out. The next one I applied for was the tl development spot and I was told there was a feeling from some tms that I was mean and they refused to interview me. Nothing changed in the three months between openings.

I have never held a serve safe certification, but I've had the training. If I had stayed with McDonald's and went salary it was my first order of business. I have held a tipps training certificate from bartending in college.

Look up star interview process online. It's the type of interviews that target uses..
You said you are afraid you would be stuck there.. Where else did you want to go? A different department or moving up to etl? I think people are pretty much stuck in their positions more so than not. There is usually some kind of pecking order in the stores for moving to the next position.

As far as pay increase , there is a thread that states what each position starts at N03, 04, 05 etc.. I am not sure what kind of increase goes with a tl position, but that thread would help you out.. If the job is posted at your store, which I believe it has to be, it will say what level it starts at.

Look up star interview process online. It's the type of interviews that target uses..
You said you are afraid you would be stuck there.. Where else did you want to go? A different department or moving up to etl? I think people are pretty much stuck in their positions more so than not. There is usually some kind of pecking order in the stores for moving to the next position.

As far as pay increase , there is a thread that states what each position starts at N03, 04, 05 etc.. I am not sure what kind of increase goes with a tl position, but that thread would help you out.. If the job is posted at your store, which I believe it has to be, it will say what level it starts at.
I'd mostly like to not get stuck in food service for five years. I love pfresh. Pizza hut, not so much. But if it gets my foot in the door to move laterally as a tl, then it's worth it for a couple years. Ctl or whatever it's become won't be open till the current one gets etl or leaves the store/company, but if I am a tl then I've got the most experience in the store.

@coolerqueen, don't rely on having the most experience to move you up any target ladder.. In theory it could, but in target, or actually in any sector these days, it's not a shoe in for any promotion. Being somewhere at the right day, the right time, when the planets align, when the breeze is blowing in the right direction could also be the things to get you promoted..

@coolerqueen, don't rely on having the most experience to move you up any target ladder.. In theory it could, but in target, or actually in any sector these days, it's not a shoe in for any promotion. Being somewhere at the right day, the right time, when the planets align, when the breeze is blowing in the right direction could also be the things to get you promoted..

A butterfly flapping its wings in Canada?

The fact that my last two ctls are incompetent to lead cause they don't know market? Or try to work market and screw it up? Replacing the ctl with someone else would lead to quite a few tms leaving or changing work centers. Most of the tms still can't believe I got skipped last round for promotion. But even the dtl likes me where I am and as I've been looking outside spot for more money leadership knows they are at a place where it's promote or risk market falling to shambles when I leave and take my job aids I created with me. This will be the worst year for team survey since our store opened. Promoting someone who worked hard and deserves it is an easy win for leadership if they aren't too dumb to notice.

The fact that my last two ctls are incompetent to lead cause they don't know market? Or try to work market and screw it up? Replacing the ctl with someone else would lead to quite a few tms leaving or changing work centers. Most of the tms still can't believe I got skipped last round for promotion. But even the dtl likes me where I am and as I've been looking outside spot for more money leadership knows they are at a place where it's promote or risk market falling to shambles when I leave and take my job aids I created with me. This will be the worst year for team survey since our store opened. Promoting someone who worked hard and deserves it is an easy win for leadership if they aren't too dumb to notice.

I am in the same situation, I have had 2 different CTLs since becoming a PA 1 1/2 years ago.. The first was a recent promotion and was in over his head, he was moved from BRTL to CTL, passing over the PA who trained me to be a PA (who should have gotten the job). fast forward 6 months ahead of the day I am promoted both quit, legit the same day. The quitting CTL, has since been replaced by the BRTL who replaced him who was pretty much promoted to be performanced out, but I have done such a good job holding down market (my partner PA is pretty much useless) they have yet to have had a reason to fire my CTL.

I have strongly thought about stepping down as a PA, and moving to a different work center, just to watch it fall to ashes and probably get promoted quicker, it is sick to have to think this way, but what is more sick is that it would probably work.

@BigEyedPhish don't step down.. You will get a decrease in pay and they will have you fill in to fix the dept..

Never ever step down in retail.

I could come up with a decent explanation, a few of the ETLs want me benched to be a TL, but my dept head ETL wants me to be cross trained in more areas.. (which is LOL to me as being a PA you are probably more cross trained in more work centers than anyone under a TL is).

Anyone who has ever been a PA will realize how stupid it would be to have a PA be put in say.. Softlines for half their shift or whatever to get cross trained, I could say I would use the time as a way of learning "more about the store overall"

I don't know what ctl or pa are.. I will go look up the terms. Never heard either used at the store I am in.

I don't know what ctl or pa are.. I will go look up the terms. Never heard either used at the store I am in.
CTL = consumables team lead, PA= perishables assistant (although I have also heard it called p-fresh assistant). :)

I've never heard the terms used at work, but I know on redwire a few of our TM's are listed as being PA's.

I think we have a CTL, but she works all sorts of weird crap. She's the only TL that deals with market, but she also often works flow.

FA is opening one hour later and closing one hour earlier. Hours are being cut like a mofo!

@BigEyedPhish don't step down.. You will get a decrease in pay and they will have you fill in to fix the dept..

Never ever step down in retail.

I could come up with a decent explanation, a few of the ETLs want me benched to be a TL, but my dept head ETL wants me to be cross trained in more areas.. (which is LOL to me as being a PA you are probably more cross trained in more work centers than anyone under a TL is).

Anyone who has ever been a PA will realize how stupid it would be to have a PA be put in say.. Softlines for half their shift or whatever to get cross trained, I could say I would use the time as a way of learning "more about the store overall"
I was hired for softlines. Did six months. I've done instocks, pricing, and Plano. Plus regular hardlines.

We were told to all be on our toes. Our store didn't do very well last year. I think there may be some cuts coming to our store in the next few weeks.

I keep telling tm's to constantly look busy. Some are not taking the hints at all

First round if interview complete. What a joke...The aptl interview was much more interesting.

Second round if interviews went well. I liked the questions better, and the stl was more comfortable I think. Also had an amazing dialogue after about what I thought were some opportunities for the tls and him specifically, and about not knowing I was looking for promotion and that working on developing me for the bench could be on the list for if I don't get this promotion. Score!

Didn't get the position because one of the other applicants is "trained there and passionate about it and an easier transition because the team knows him"

Hopefully when he fails they actually remove him and don't let him continue to screw it up...Or frighten people away with his temper. He got into a shouting match with the last team lead.

Didn't get the position because one of the other applicants is "trained there and passionate about it and an easier transition because the team knows him"

Hopefully when he fails they actually remove him and don't let him continue to screw it up...Or frighten people away with his temper. He got into a shouting match with the last team lead.

So 'passionate' = yells at people ?
Ah, Target why do you hire young managers who seem to have no idea what actual management is?
Or do they think they can guide him, smooth off the rough edges?
If so why go to all that trouble when they could have a decent manager to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back