Archived Applying to become an ETL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have over 6 years of experience as a store manager for another company and I have a bachelors degree. I’m trying to get onto the Target team as an ETL. I am having no luck getting a call back for an interview. I’ve tried going into the store directly to speak to someone in HR and that doesn’t work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reach out to a recruiter through LinkedIn. Most external ETL hires are not done at the store level, frequently people are on boarded without a particular working location decided on until training is complete.

Best advice is to reach out to the recruiting team to let them know you're interested and try to get the ball moving that way.

I have over 6 years of experience as a store manager for another company and I have a bachelors degree. I’m trying to get onto the Target team as an ETL. I am having no luck getting a call back for an interview. I’ve tried going into the store directly to speak to someone in HR and that doesn’t work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Talking to HR won’t really get you anywhere. Stores don’t hire ETLs directly; recruiting is done at the district level.

Here are the best ways to get your foot in the door:
(1) Apply for an open ETL position through Target.com

(2) If you still live close to your alma mater, try attending their next career fair and getting some face time with a recruiter

(3) If you insist on going to individual stores, only ask to speak to the STL (Store Team Leader). Again, they won’t be the ones directly hiring you, but some STLs have more pull with the DTL than others and might at least be able to get him/her to review your application, if you make a good first impression.

(4) Try applying for a TL position. It’s hourly and nowhere near ETL pay, but it would be a lot easier position to get. I think starting pay in my area for TLs is $15, but this will vary depending on cost of living in your area. Depends on what kind of money you’re used to making.

Reach out to a recruiter through LinkedIn. Most external ETL hires are not done at the store level, frequently people are on boarded without a particular working location decided on until training is complete.

Best advice is to reach out to the recruiting team to let them know you're interested and try to get the ball moving that way.

This. Lately in my area (somewhere, Ca) our group has been hot for ETL interns who are still in school but my store also recently trained 2 entry ETLs who just had managerial backgrounds. One came from a head hunter on LinkedIn but the other has a family member who worked for Spot already (nepotism? Lol).

Best of luck!

Spot hires new college graduates because they will do whatever they are told, with no questions asked, no matter how stupid, inefficient, and unprofitable it will be. If they hired you, OP, they would have to deal with all the questions you would have based on your past retail management experience. Also, you would probably be to costly with all of your experience and knowledge.

Spot doesn't hire new grads because they are the best or the brightest. They hire them because they are the cheapest.

Good luck on the job hunt.

Most of the new ETLs I have worked for use this company as a stepping stone. They pay pretty decent right out of college so you can hit your loans running. They do look for a certain "type" its easy to see. To me its the sorority/fraternity group from the movie Animal House. The job can be very isolating. You will be moved around, the hours are not conducive to a family or social life no matter how much they want to claim work life balance. I think spot is very aware that when they hire fresh out of college graduates they are expecting a target life span of 3-4 years tops. Sure there are the few that stay and rise through the ranks. However the turnover rate for ETLs is staggering. Do you homework before committing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back