Archived Applying to TL positions in other stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there!
So I want to apply for a logistics team lead position. On paper I am super qualified, and I have the respect of everyone in my current store, but I still feel like I've been failing in terms of really being proactive with relationship building with the STL. I'm only now getting ready to do mock interviews with my current store, next week, and I guess I'm afraid what they might say when I ask for their blessing to apply to other stores with a logistic team lead position open. I am willing to move anywhere in the country.

Any advice on the following?
A) Is there anything wrong with applying to many positions at many different stores at once?
B) When you ask your current STL for a blessing to apply to other stores, what might the hurdles be? I guess I am just afraid of any resentment for being willing to move, you know?
C) Do they always talk to your current store when you apply to another out of region? It is the STL? HR Director they talk to?

Hey there!
So I want to apply for a logistics team lead position. On paper I am super qualified, and I have the respect of everyone in my current store, but I still feel like I've been failing in terms of really being proactive with relationship building with the STL. I'm only now getting ready to do mock interviews with my current store, next week, and I guess I'm afraid what they might say when I ask for their blessing to apply to other stores with a logistic team lead position open. I am willing to move anywhere in the country.

Any advice on the following?
A) Is there anything wrong with applying to many positions at many different stores at once?
B) When you ask your current STL for a blessing to apply to other stores, what might the hurdles be? I guess I am just afraid of any resentment for being willing to move, you know?
C) Do they always talk to your current store when you apply to another out of region? It is the STL? HR Director they talk to?

Are you on the bench? Or Trying to get on the bench?

Are you on the bench? Or Trying to get on the bench?

Neither. I'm trying to transfer to a store that has a logistics team lead position, and begin working that position. My resume and experience is very strong, and the only factor I'm worried about is the STL blessing, because I have not been proactive in doing mock interviews and developing that relationship yet. I usually have given the STL a lot of space.

That being said, since I am waiting until now to develop the relationship, beginning with mock interviews, my concern is just how to do it the best way.

But to answer your question, no and no.

Edit: I should add that there are a ton of logistics team lead spots open nation wide.

Last edited:
Neither. I'm trying to transfer to a store that has a logistics team lead position, and begin working that position. My resume and experience is very strong, and the only factor I'm worried about is the STL blessing, because I have not been proactive in doing mock interviews and developing that relationship yet. I usually have given the STL a lot of space.

That being said, since I am waiting until now to develop the relationship, beginning with mock interviews, my concern is just how to do it the best way.

But to answer your question, no and no.

If you apply for a TL position you come on the bench if you pass your interview. I dont know how long you worked for Target and what kinda of relationship you have with STL? Basically are they be able to give you feed back?

If you apply for a TL position you come on the bench if you pass your interview. I dont know how long you worked for Target and what kinda of relationship you have with STL? Basically are they be able to give you feed back?
Got ya. Yeah I'll get some feedback. Hopefully it is genuine. As far as the bench, thank you, that makes sense. I would assume if I pass my interview from a store that needs the position filled, I would not stay on the bench long Of course I would require the raise and position title before I moved most likely, but I suppose I will figure out how much flexibility I have when I start applying to other stores. I just wish there was a way to apply to all of them at once! Haha.

No, but if your store gets an inkling you're on your way out because you apply for any and everything they might cut your hours. Start a dialogue with them please.

He might not think you are ready or support your transfer. The other store may be reluctant to hire someone out of district.

My store looks internally first then we look at the district bench. Last we look for externals.

You can start with the support of your etl.

Yes in Target you cannot transfer without your store supporting your transfer. Receiving storr will usually ask your store for your review score, attendance and their thoughts on your ability before they even consider an interview.

You should notify your original store before you do anything. Start with your etl, then go to hr. I have seen tm to tl transfers my stl didn't have anything to do with.

If your store doesn't think you're ready take that feedback but if you're as qualified as you say you are you have nothing to stress about

Last edited:
Before you decide to completely relocate for a position you're set on having, just know that Target is currently in the process of getting rid of Logistics TLs.
Who else is on the chopping block?

Before you decide to completely relocate for a position you're set on having, just know that Target is currently in the process of getting rid of Logistics TLs.
Really no way! Haha. Well I want to relocate anyway to be near one of my business/martial arts mentors who lives there. I might just ask for a transfer without the whole team lead situation and just go in fast and hard and with lots of smiles to get what I want there. But I agree with others, that I should focus on getting feedback, developing as positive a relationship as I can with my current store, and possibly getting on the bench first.

Anyway. Getting rid of logistics TL? Does that mean the LOD will have to run the floor, or, will they perhaps combine back room and logistics TL's? Or will there be two salesfloor TL's and they rotate along with LOD to take care of logistics?

Anyway. Getting rid of logistics TL? Does that mean the LOD will have to run the floor, or, will they perhaps combine back room and logistics TL's? Or will there be two salesfloor TL's and they rotate along with LOD to take care of logistics?

In a complete end to end store you wouldn't need a logistics tl. You would have an etl log then the unload would be done by the individual departs.

Backroom tl is a logistics tl. Instocks tl has already been eliminated from hv stores. I could see backroom going next.

Last edited:
You should have plenty of time. Many (even most?) stores are having a hard time with E2E in just two departments, and dropping Logistics TLs anytime soon would do far more harm than good. Phasing out Instocks TLs was one thing, right now most Flow TLs have far too much on their plate to take over Backroom TL duties.
I’m not sure where the poster is intending on moving to, but definitely an ASANTS situation. In my area, backroom team lead was eliminated, as well as all backroom team members. Each department owns their stockroom as well as the sales floor. Our ETL previously known as logistics is now ETL Essentials/hardlines, with one team lead for each. The former Flow TL became the Essentials TL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back