Awkward Availability Situation

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
Hey guys, so I just got a promotion. I became team lead in my department and am currently under training in another store. When I got promoted, no one told me that my availability would have to change. I never would have been ok with being promoted if I couldn't keep my availability. It's not like I don't do anything on the days I need off. I need them for a community related voluntary work that I do, but the ETL I have just told me that I need to have a certain schedule now that I am lead and he's being kind of aggressive about it. Can they force this on me even if they never mentioned this during or after the interview? Kind of messed up if you ask me.

If it’s just one particular day off every week partner with your ETL HR and have that conversation with them. Tell them you’d like that to be your one day a week off and it’s for your volunteering. (HR loves consistent volunteer hours they can count on.) unless it’s a Friday/Saturday/Sunday I don’t think it should be a problem?

If they won’t work with you on it you might have to step down. But I am surprised that you didn’t think about this before you accepted the TL position.

If it’s just one particular day off every week partner with your ETL HR and have that conversation with them. Tell them you’d like that to be your one day a week off and it’s for your volunteering. (HR loves consistent volunteer hours they can count on.) unless it’s a Friday/Saturday/Sunday I don’t think it should be a problem?

If they won’t work with you on it you might have to step down. But I am surprised that you didn’t think about this before you accepted the TL position.
It honestly hadn't crossed my mind. The ETL who interviewed me has worked with me for years and knows what I do outside of work. The ETL I work under has been in the store for a couple of years but does not know me personally like that. I did ask the interviewer about this after the interview. I was simply told that I should be able to continue having my availability. I don't think ETL I work under feels the same way lol.

Talk to both the ETL that your hours would be ok as well as ETL HR. If need be, SD. Tell them it's a deal breaker for you if it can't be worked out, but be prepared to step down if they can't work with you.

Possibly there's a compromise that would meet both your needs and the "needs of business". Maybe your new ETL is exercising their power without really trying to meet business or your needs just because they're the boss.

It honestly hadn't crossed my mind. The ETL who interviewed me has worked with me for years and knows what I do outside of work. The ETL I work under has been in the store for a couple of years but does not know me personally like that. I did ask the interviewer about this after the interview. I was simply told that I should be able to continue having my availability. I don't think ETL I work under feels the same way lol.
Lol, 🙄

Odd, during interviews I have the applicant SIGN that their availability will NOT change in the next 90 days right below what they list their availability is.

Since you were promoted, not newly hired, it may have been ASSUMED you were willing to change your availability to get the position. I know many tm’s that turned down offers of promotions because of the new mid-shift requirement for TL.

I’ve watched my schedule closely, I would consider stepping down if it gets heavy with the missing supper time at home shifts: 10-6:30, 12-8:30 the worst.
One closing night is doable, every other weekend understandable, but those mids, yuk.

I know at my store the ETL makes the TL schedule, I'd had a conversation with them about your availability

Back