Archived Back Up Cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarlame

Softliciouss
Lately I've found myself on back up more often than necessary. I know enough to get by, though there are a few things I'm not aware how to do. Perhaps some cashiers might have some handy dandy tricks to make me more efficient?
Also, as a back up cashier, is there anything GSTL's or GSA's really hate?

I apologize if there is a post like this already, I couldn't find anything.

If there is a GSTL/GSA speed-weaving, go to the lane they directed you to, and let them direct the guests to your lane.

If the GSTL/GSA hasn't already turned on your lane's light, do so when you get to your lane.

Do ask if the guest is saving 5% with the REDcard. Be ready to speak to the benefits of the card. Backup cashiers are surprisingly lucky at my store when it comes to apps.

ASANTS, but most stores empower the cashiers to make reasonable price adjustments up to 20% of the item's price or $20, whichever amount is lower. If the front-end is very busy, nobody is gonna sweat $2 off of a pair of jeans. No need to ask the GSTL/GSA on something like that.

But please DO blink your light or get the GSTL/GSA if you come across something that you haven't been trained for. They're there to help you with WIC transactions, tax exempt purchases, and all that shit.

Just get up there and help out... it ain't rocket science.

As for things we hate there's only a couple things I ask of backup cashiers:

1. Turn your light on and wait for me to turn it off.

2. Please get the guests that have been waiting longer than the ones at the back of the line if I can't speed weave guests to you. Too many backups always pull the people at the back of the line and it ticks everyone off.

Idk if it's just my store, but backups do not turn on their lights. Otherwise we'd be up there our entire shift. Our GSA's also don't normally direct people to our lanes, we just call them over and take anyone else who comes to our lane.

Idk if it's just my store, but backups do not turn on their lights. Otherwise we'd be up there our entire shift. Our GSA's also don't normally direct people to our lanes, we just call them over and take anyone else who comes to our lane.

Backups don't usually turn on their lights at my store either, but we wish that they would. As I once posted in a different thread, we are trying to train guests that light off means closed.

Backups don't usually turn on their lights at my store either, but we wish that they would. As I once posted in a different thread, we are trying to train guests that light off means closed.

Our backup cashiers solve this by flipping their light on, accumulating a line, and turning off their light. They are closed, just helping the guests that were there before they closed.

There aren't many things that piss me off when someone comes up for backup- I'm just thankful as hell if someone does and especially if they do it in a reasonable amount of time, and I'm sure most other gsas/gstls feel the same. Got a question or can't figure something out? That's fine! I don't care how stupid your question is! I'm just glad and grateful as hell my lines aren't lookin crazy.

I only have a few things that really bother me as far as backup cashiers go.
First is when I have to call 5 times for backup to get a response, then I only get a response when the lod starts getting upset that nobody will go for backup. It shouldn't take the lod commanding tms to do their job for them to do it. It's also highly disrespectful and insulting to me that i get ignored when I need assistance and it only becomes important enough when the lod starts chiming in. If you are with a guest, for the love of god say that. I'll love you forever if you don't give me crickets over the walkie when I'm in a state of panic and desperation.

Second is when I tell a backup cashier to get on a certain lane and they just hop on whichever they please. This is a problem because I tell the backup to get on a certain lane so I can have guests already unloading and waiting for them when they get there...then when they hop on a different lane they leave those guests in the dust only to grab someone who hasn't been sitting there waiting as long. Then, I have to either call for another backup and have the guests wait even longer or hop on myself and get coached for that shit if I get caught (my store does not allow gsas/gstls to hop on for backup whatsoever).

The only other thing that will piss me off is when people don't educate on redcards. I guarantee I hate redcards more than you do and as tired of hearing about them as you are, I'm 10000 times more tired of hearing about it. But when you don't educate, I take the heat for it. It's not that hard to do and I know you know how. Even when you are just up for backup, it's something you have to do. Hell, I would have left tonight entering a big fat zero in for the closing shift in the conversion email if it wasn't for the backup cashier from softlines who got one (we have a dtl visit tomorrow, so as much as 1 sucks thank fuck I didn't have to enter 0).

Tl;dr: communicate that you're coming or that you can't because you're with a guest, get on the lane they ask you to, and blah blah redcard and you'll be loved to pieces, basically :)

First is when I have to call 5 times for backup to get a response, then I only get a response when the lod starts getting upset that nobody will go for backup. It shouldn't take the lod commanding tms to do their job for them to do it. It's also highly disrespectful and insulting to me that i get ignored when I need assistance and it only becomes important enough when the lod starts chiming in. If you are with a guest, for the love of god say that. I'll love you forever if you don't give me crickets over the walkie when I'm in a state of panic and desperation.
This happened last night. GSA kept asking for backup and nada. I was at GS so I told GSA I could take 10 items or less since it was really slow. Then right after I heard the LOD get on the walkie and start calling people by name. smh

At my store they make us respond by hours. So our hour is 10-11. We respond to every backup call between this time. Even if my whole team is off the floor.

And another thing that happened. My walkie was dead and the GSTL called for fast service. I grabbed my TLS walkie and said I was headed up front, but had no walkie. So i get there and there's 3 lanes lit with guests in them. I open a 4th, only to be screamed at for not hopping on a lane that he has opened (the lane closest to the guests walking up... NOT GONNA HAPPEN anyway.. I'll be up there for hours even with my light off).

Don't turn on a Fricken light without telling someone you did. I swear my one GSTL is an idiot, he always has problems getting responded to on the walkie. The other GSTL doesn't have to wait a second because he puts us on express or a front register, has us turn on our light until we get some guests walk up, and then turn it right back off. Sometimes we have to flip it back on for another minute to get another round of guests but he doesn't put us in the war zone so even with our light off we get a bunch of guests.

And no mr. GSTL jerkface I will not leave my light on while your cashiers get small, meaningless orders and take hours to complete them. Ever. If you want me to respond quickly, you do like the other GSTL says or I will engage ever guest in the building, or take a bathroom break, operate the baler, go on my 15.. anything to avoid fast service

Well you're actually responding, so that means you're on the right track! lol

Go to the lane you're directed to, and stay on until the GSA/TL sends you back or it's absolutely clear you're no longer needed.

1) Empower yourself to make it right for the guest. If a price change (or anything) doesn't require a supervisor number, don't ask. Just change it.
2) We aren't the coupon police. We more-or-less take every coupon handed to us. If it doesn't accept it, make a quick glance and if it looks reasonable just accept it.
3) You're the final impression the guest gets of Target, so provide great service and make sure they leave happy. If your guests are happy, your GSTL will be happy.

4) Don't be afraid to use big bags for towels and bulky items.
5) If it's a transaction full of clothes, take all the hangers off before you start ringing. Makes things go quicker.
6) If you have a quick/small question that you don't know the answer to, odds are your checklane neighbor does. Ask the cashier next to you if you think/know it'll be a quick answer. It saves both you and the guest time.

Last: Have fun with it. Nobody LOVES backup cashiering, but it's part of your job and your LOD will understand if you're stuck up there. So instead of dragging ass to the front lanes thinking "ugh i don't want to be here, i don't want to do this, this sucks and isn't my job, i have too much other crap to do today, lets get this over with" that'll come across to the guest and it won't be a good experience for either of you.

I think the main problem at our store is that the some of our GSAs and one GSTL think they own us when we come up front. No, I'm here to help you out. If you want to be a jerk about it, I'll make myself not available. It's very easy.

*to guest* did you need help finding anything?

no I'm just looking

Oh, well while you're looking, If you want to save some money you can download a free app called cartwheel that applies discounts at the registers for certain items

Oh I already have it.

Oh, I see you like to save. So i assume you have our checkcard? There's no credit involved.

No I don't want it.

Oh ok. Well my names ClearanceMaster if you need anything. Don't hesitate to ask.

I will do this to every guest if it means not helping you out if you want to be a jerk when I respond :)

Back on topic

Are you familiar with
BOB, LISA, PETER? AP will appreciate you if you are checking these.

Use both hands and bag everything smart. It takes less time and makes less waste.

Don't call someone or hold up the line for a small price change. Just do it, make note of it.. and check it when you get back to the floor.

If they have a million of the same HBA items, get ready. It's probably a coupon scammer. Put on your best smile and ask them if they have any coupons to use. This way you get the coupons first and can compare to the item they are buying. They like to give you the coupons after you have everything bagged and you can't remember what you scanned.

Just going to put this out there as a front end TM, I do appreciate when the sales floor comes to back up at the front. especially when I'm covering for a GSTL break and things suddenly blow up. I'll always thank TMs who come over to help.

Just get up there and help out... it ain't rocket science.
Lol. I feel like I know a lot, but I don't know EVERYTHING. I'm just trying to learn more.
For example, I have no idea how to print a gift receipt after the transaction is closed. I have never gotten a red card before, so I have no idea how to do it. If there is an outdated sign that gives a $XX gift card for purchasing $XX I have no idea how to honor something like that.
Thanks for the help

Back on topic

Are you familiar with
BOB, LISA, PETER? AP will appreciate you if you are checking these.

Use both hands and bag everything smart. It takes less time and makes less waste.

Don't call someone or hold up the line for a small price change. Just do it, make note of it.. and check it when you get back to the floor.

If they have a million of the same HBA items, get ready. It's probably a coupon scammer. Put on your best smile and ask them if they have any coupons to use. This way you get the coupons first and can compare to the item they are buying. They like to give you the coupons after you have everything bagged and you can't remember what you scanned.
I'm not aware of what those stand for.
Lately at my store, our GSTL GE or GSTL will approach those couponers and simply ask them to pair the coupon with the item. A couple days ago this happened and they got upset and left a cart full of items.

Lol. I feel like I know a lot, but I don't know EVERYTHING. I'm just trying to learn more.
For example, I have no idea how to print a gift receipt after the transaction is closed. I have never gotten a red card before, so I have no idea how to do it. If there is an outdated sign that gives a $XX gift card for purchasing $XX I have no idea how to honor something like that.
Thanks for the help
To print a gift receipt after the transaction is closed, scan the bar code on the receipt. On the screen choose F6 (I believe) for gift receipt. The POS will ask you to key in the VCD number. That's right next to the receipt number towards the bottom of the receipt (but above the survey link, if that has been printed). Type in the VCD number. The POS will ask how many gift receipts. Type in how many, press enter and it'll print for you. Voila. All done.

As for outdated signs, it's best practice to just turn on your flasher and have the GSA/GSTL come over and determine what they want to do.

Second is when I tell a backup cashier to get on a certain lane and they just hop on whichever they please. This is a problem because I tell the backup to get on a certain lane so I can have guests already unloading and waiting for them when they get there...then when they hop on a different lane they leave those guests in the dust only to grab someone who hasn't been sitting there waiting as long. Then, I have to either call for another backup and have the guests wait even longer or hop on myself and get coached for that shit if I get caught (my store does not allow gsas/gstls to hop on for backup whatsoever).

I hate when our GSAs do this. If I'm coming from the opposite corner of the store, it's that much longer the guest is waiting after they unload their stuff. And on top of that, half the time that register doesn't even work when I get to it, which pisses off the guest even more.

To print a gift receipt after the transaction is closed, scan the bar code on the receipt. On the screen choose F6 (I believe) for gift receipt. The POS will ask you to key in the VCD number. That's right next to the receipt number towards the bottom of the receipt (but above the survey link, if that has been printed). Type in the VCD number. The POS will ask how many gift receipts. Type in how many, press enter and it'll print for you. Voila. All done.

As for outdated signs, it's best practice to just turn on your flasher and have the GSA/GSTL come over and determine what they want to do.

If I remember correctly, the option for Gift Receipt is K4 after you scan the receipt. And for outdated signs, just use K1 to change the price and choose K2 Guest Price Challenge. It gets the guest taken care of quickly, and the change is noted in the PCV (if the LOD actually works the PCV and doesn't just key in everything, he/she would notice the problem and address it).

I'm not aware of what those stand for.
Lately at my store, our GSTL GE or GSTL will approach those couponers and simply ask them to pair the coupon with the item. A couple days ago this happened and they got upset and left a cart full of items.

BOB - Bottom of basket. Always check the bottom of the carts coming through your lane to see if there's any items the guest forgot (or purposely) to put up on the belt.

LISA - Look Inside Anything. If there's a shoebox, open it up and scan the shoe. If there's a purse with stuffing, we open up the purses and throw out the stuffing for the guests. An item could have fallen in (or purposely put in) the bag.

PETER - I'm pretty sure it's Pickup Everything That Enters Register. For instance if a guest has a small cubical organizer in their cart, don't just assume there's nothing underneath it. Pick it up and readjust it in the cart. You might finf something underneath. You can tell the guest you're looking for the "right barcode" if they ask why.

These three Acronyms are for loss prevention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back