Archived Back Up Cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the expired gift card offer my store would: (remember all stores aren't the same so check before doing it)

We would ring up a giftcard for 5.00 let's say, then we would do a 5.00 Target coupon. This way the guest still gets the giftcard and doesnt pay for it.

Some stores will just take 5 dollars of the order right then and there. This is ok, bUT the point of the giftcard is to bring them back in another time.

We were told not to do the giftcard + coupon method when fixing an old free giftcard offer. The giftcard isn't taxable and the $5.00 coupons takes the $5.00 off the taxable base, so we end up not collecting enough tax or something along those lines.

I know there was an issue with this. I just don't see the problem, and my store didnt either. If a guest had a coupon for the face value of a non taxable item would this not be the same issue?

I know there was an issue with this. I just don't see the problem, and my store didnt either. If a guest had a coupon for the face value of a non taxable item would this not be the same issue?
I honestly have no idea. We usually just adjust an item down to account for the giftcard or just a $5 target coupon.

Most annoying things back up cashiers do...

Not respond
Not respond until LOD makes you do so
Have a nasty attitude because I asked for your help because we can't be scheduled enough cashiers.
Not asking for RCs
Not asking for help when you need it
Not cutting your light on at all
Not going to the lane I direct you to even though I did so in the hope that you'll get off the quickest (ex CL2,3,5 are regular cashiers and I put you on 9)
Not staying until we can get out of backup.
Walking away without letting me know or cutting your light off.

All I ask is common courtesy even though some of y'all leave a cart or two full of reshop at GS for us to sort y'all shit. Hell yeah I'm mad and feel some type of way.

Maybe it's just my store, but I have some annoying GSAS and gstls. They will keep me on forever; long after its needed. When I'm in softlines, they'll keep calling us up and then get annoyed when we're so far behind at the end of the night. I also hate when they constantly call for backup when it's not even needed. It's hard to know if I should head up or not.

But being a cashier is easy and fun. I like those shifts as its less stressful. You focus on one guest/job at a time. It helps to know the store to make an educated decision if a guest is trying to scam you. Be cheerful and friendly and mention all that target offers without sounding like you rehearsed it. Just takes time to learn it all.

Does our PIN# reset after a few weeks of non use? :confused:

I'm with Plano, but I usually pull and backstock their stuff. Stuck in the backroom most the time. When I do go up to backup I keep on having to reset my pin. I'm not forgetful, but I do backup cashier almost never.

I'm with Plano, but I usually pull and backstock their stuff. Stuck in the backroom most the time. When I do go up to backup I keep on having to reset my pin. I'm not forgetful, but I do backup cashier almost never.
Yes, it does.

my store sales floor team is ridiculous. I started out really nice with TMs but if I have to call for back up 5 times in a row and announce it over the over head it's a problem.

I finally started to call names from the grid. And I don't care if they start to hate me. Back up is a MUST.

I will flip your switch and you will stay there until I say so. That's it. And if you leave. I will call you right back. I do not play.

my store sales floor team is ridiculous. I started out really nice with TMs but if I have to call for back up 5 times in a row and announce it over the over head it's a problem.

I finally started to call names from the grid. And I don't care if they start to hate me. Back up is a MUST.

I will flip your switch and you will stay there until I say so. That's it. And if you leave. I will call you right back. I do not play.
Yeah...make sure you're getting them off lanes in a timely manner. I understand it gets backed up, sometimes for a while. But don't use my sales floor team to cover your cashiers breaks and lunches. Plan for your normal rushes and don't call for back up when it will be cleared out by the time my team gets up there. Respect my team and they will respect you. Treat them like peons, call backup needlessly, leave them on lanes while your cashiers lines are empty, ignore closing them down so your cashiers can push candy or one spot, "forget" about them being up there, continue to call for backup from the sales floor when you have the entire floor up there already...these are surefire ways to guarantee that my team won't respond. And I won't blame them. The respect thing is huge though.

Yes, it does.

Even with regular use, your PIN has to be changed every few months, just like your password for eHR/Workbench.

Idk if it's just my store, but backups do not turn on their lights. Otherwise we'd be up there our entire shift. Our GSA's also don't normally direct people to our lanes, we just call them over and take anyone else who comes to our lane.
at my store, backup cashiers usually don't turn on their lights either and i didn't think it was an issue but i overheard a huddle one morning and apparently they're supposed to turn them on. kind of surprised me because i also agree that sales floor people would probably be on register for way longer than necessary.

Lol. I feel like I know a lot, but I don't know EVERYTHING. I'm just trying to learn more.
For example, I have no idea how to print a gift receipt after the transaction is closed. I have never gotten a red card before, so I have no idea how to do it. If there is an outdated sign that gives a $XX gift card for purchasing $XX I have no idea how to honor something like that.
Thanks for the help
for the gift receipt thing: when their receipt prints, you scan the top of it and then the register will give you a couple of options. i think K4 is the gift receipt. then you have to enter the VDC number, which is at the bottom of every receipt that prints. then just enter how many gift receipts the guest wants and there you go!
RCs used to give me trouble too, but basically in the register drawer there are RC pamphlets and you scan the top of it, hit Credit or Debit and basically the guest does all the work on the card reader.
For the GiftCards, if it's a small $5 you can just take a giftcard inside the register drawer, scan it, put $5 on it and then take off $5 as a coupon. if the GC is supposed to be more than $5, then call the GSA. otherwise, give them the benefit of the doubt ;)

Last edited:
mrknownothing said:
Even with regular use, your PIN has to be changed every few months, just like your password for eHR/Workbench.
How often? No wonder mine doesn't work sometime.

Never had to reset my pin, but wondered why my eHR password sometimes didn't work.

at my store, backup cashiers usually don't turn on their lights either and i didn't think it was an issue but i overheard a huddle one morning and apparently they're supposed to turn them on. kind of surprised me because i also agree that sales floor people would probably be on register for way longer than necessary.

If backup doesn't turn on their lights, our least considerate guests get our best service.

We had a GSA do this one time. She turned the light back on for someone who needed to get back out on the floor and been up front for 10 minutes. The team member kept walking and said call someone else. Lol. It is very inconsiderate when you have a process team up front and basically are like "haha you're my b****" and keep my light on. This makes people respond less, and this makes your lines take that much longer to clear out. It's only killing your guest survey scores. It doesn't bother me, because my work still has to get done by the end of my shift and if im up front for more than a few minutes, I can't finish.

And to my store. We were doing 1+3 for a while. Idk who's direction.that was.. but it actually worked quite well, backup was called less.. and when the GSA called they were legitimately in backup so TMS responded fast. Now they are doing 1+1 again. Nobody is responding because they are calling needlessly every 15 minutes. My team responds 3 or 4 times in the morning and then the walkies go off.

1+2, or 1+3 has been the new norm since January in my store. Quite honestly, I hadn't heard of the 1+1 "rule" until February or March. I don't bother calling for back up even at 1+3 as the GSA/GSTL will get on the walkie and tell the floor we don't need help. No, we don't need the back up, but if our store is #53 out of 60 don't ask me why or what do I "think" the problem is.

1+2, or 1+3 has been the new norm since January in my store. Quite honestly, I hadn't heard of the 1+1 "rule" until February or March. I don't bother calling for back up even at 1+3 as the GSA/GSTL will get on the walkie and tell the floor we don't need help. No, we don't need the back up, but if our store is #53 out of 60 don't ask me why or what do I "think" the problem is.

You should still hit the button. They SAY it'll give some more hours to the front when they're forecasting, but Idk. I just wish my stupid GSTL would get on a lane, grab some carts, or do something other than stand at the front doing nothing. It's not that hard to say "LOD.. can you watch the front, I need to hop on" or "I need go go get carts, I don't have a CA until 6 and I'm down to 20 carts" instead it is the rest of the stores problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back