Archived Back-Up Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day, one of the LODs complained that I did not respond to back-up, even though I was busy helping a guest at the time. Then he complained later when I didn't respond to back-up and walked away from me while I was explaining that my break was in less than 5 minutes. Can't stand this LOD. Why should I go back-up on the registers if it means missing my break? And the fact that he walked away while I was talking to him makes it even worse.

Just needed to rant. Slowly losing my mind at Target.

You could always just take your break when you get off the register. Missing lunch seems to be the only thing they really care about.

And if you're with a guest when they call for backup point it out so they don't hound you about it. 'This is so-and-so, I'm with a guest right now, can someone else go up?"

You could always just take your break when you get off the register. Missing lunch seems to be the only thing they really care about.

And if you're with a guest when they call for backup point it out so they don't hound you about it. 'This is so-and-so, I'm with a guest right now, can someone else go up?"

The problem with this is that you have people talking over each other. "I'm with a guest in D, can someone else go up?"

"I'm on a ladder in the fixture room, is anyone closer."

"I have the wave on the floor, I can be up in a minute."

When you expect an answer from everyone at once, it's all garbled. Then the GSA gets confused and re-asks. Then the LOD's get pissed.

The problem with this is that you have people talking over each other. "I'm with a guest in D, can someone else go up?"

"I'm on a ladder in the fixture room, is anyone closer."

"I have the wave on the floor, I can be up in a minute."

When you expect an answer from everyone at once, it's all garbled. Then the GSA gets confused and re-asks. Then the LOD's get pissed.

True. With everyone talking at the same time, no one could respond. What I say all the time. But a garbled mess is what they want. So make it a mess!

If you can't back up, you should still respond. When you hear the call for back up, and you're busy, you should still say, "This is Joe, I'm with a guest." Or something like that. Also...your break excuse is nonsense.

If it was your meal, then yeah. Avoid the register if you think you'll hit compliance. But you can literally take your breaks whenever. Hell, you can take your first 15 within the first hour if you feel like wasting it and no one else is on break. If it happens again, go up for back-up. Being late for a break is no excuse.

And definitely tell them if you are with a guest.

people who do backup at my store are not the same people who ride the wave around... definitely not the same people riding the wave around the store lol

Personally, I'm not gonna say

*rant*
"hey, this is ClearanceMaster.. I can't respond the stupid SLTL put a U-Bar on a raised rack that didn't have the right end so it tumbled down when I went to reorganize it and there's clearance everywhere on the ground and a snobby old lady is huffing because I'm marking clothes down for her benefit but is so impatient and she is up my butt and i can smell the Bengay on her and if I walk away for two seconds she's going to lose my spot and then I'm going to scream and have to rescan half the rack and then my accuracy will tumble and then I'll get coached and then I'll be even more upset about working this low-pay high expectation job that I've thought about quitting for the past year but won't because I love my TL and I don't think I could do that to them"
*end rant*

"........Team, this is instocks Joe I'm right here"

The only response should be from someone who can respond. If people aren't responding you should be doing a walkie check and if the TM doesn't have a good excuse as to why they didn't answer, tear dat ass up!

Eff this
"I'm on a ladder"
"im back in seasonal is anyone closer"
"im with a guest I can't respond"
"I just tore down a bunch of shelves and can't leave it unattended, give me a second to clean up and if you still need help I'll be there"
"I'm on break"
"I'm currently indisposed *toilet flush* "

That is just Bull crap and that is why walkies get turned off, or thrown in the compactor.

That is also why leadership is up peoples' asses. You don't need to deliver a speech just to say, "I'm unavailable at the moment." It's a less than 3 second message that keeps leadership happy.

Y'all are making it out to sound like it's a huge inconvenience to answer your damn walkie. There's a reason you have it. If you can't handle hearing people communicate the way they are supposed to, then you shouldn't have a walkie. If you can't handle having a walkie, you have no business being at any type of job. Communication is key, and being annoyed by people doing what they are supposed to is just ridiculous.

*end MY rant*

Can't stand the people who say that stuff at work. Just do your job and use your equipment properly.

I get where the OP's ETL is coming from. It is absolutely obnoxious to call for back up and get no response. Crickets. None. When you don't have many people on the sales floor, it is helpful to know if people are with guests.

Or my other favorite...I'm in the back, can is someone else closer? But of course no one else responds and the first person thinks they're off the hook since they claimed to be too far away.

Next time I am called up I am bringing my Freezer pull all the way up to the lanes and parking it behind me while I checkout a guest or 10.

you know, so I can look at the timer, as well as all of the uncomfortable faces.
I appreciate it when they say, "I have a freezer/cooler/flat of milk out." Then we know why you can't come up, and we move on to someone who doesn't have temperature sensitive items on the floor.

But this policy comes from either everyone ignoring the call or the same people never responding...so they have no idea if you are legitimately in the middle of something or if you are trying to pull a strike on back up (like our salesfloor keeps trying to do).

Personally, I'm not gonna say

*rant*
"hey, this is ClearanceMaster.. I can't respond the stupid SLTL put a U-Bar on a raised rack that didn't have the right end so it tumbled down when I went to reorganize it and there's clearance everywhere on the ground and a snobby old lady is huffing because I'm marking clothes down for her benefit but is so impatient and she is up my butt and i can smell the Bengay on her and if I walk away for two seconds she's going to lose my spot and then I'm going to scream and have to rescan half the rack and then my accuracy will tumble and then I'll get coached and then I'll be even more upset about working this low-pay high expectation job that I've thought about quitting for the past year but won't because I love my TL and I don't think I could do that to them"
*end rant*

"........Team, this is instocks Joe I'm right here"

The only response should be from someone who can respond. If people aren't responding you should be doing a walkie check and if the TM doesn't have a good excuse as to why they didn't answer, tear dat ass up!

Eff this
"I'm on a ladder"
"im back in seasonal is anyone closer"
"im with a guest I can't respond"
"I just tore down a bunch of shelves and can't leave it unattended, give me a second to clean up and if you still need help I'll be there"
"I'm on break"
"I'm currently indisposed *toilet flush* "

That is just Bull crap and that is why walkies get turned off, or thrown in the compactor.

Seriously? You don't need to give them your life story, just say that you aren't available. If nobody is communicating, then the LOD is gonna be on your ass because they will assume that it's simply a case of nobody wanting to come up for backup. Also, from the GSA's perspective, calling for backup only to get absolutely silence is infuriating. We're backed up to Softlines and I don't even know if I'll be able to get backup. It's the responsibility of every team member to make sure that guests are in and out of the store in a reasonable amount of time, and if that means coming for backup then it's your responsibility to lend a hand. If you're unable to come for backup, then just say so so that we can figure out who else is free for backup.

I appreciate it when they say, "I have a freezer/cooler/flat of milk out." Then we know why you can't come up, and we move on to someone who doesn't have temperature sensitive items on the floor.

But this policy comes from either everyone ignoring the call or the same people never responding...so they have no idea if you are legitimately in the middle of something or if you are trying to pull a strike on back up (like our salesfloor keeps trying to do).

These Days I always have a rack of Meat, a Rack of Produce, a Rack of Freezer, A Rack of Dairy, or a flat of Milk out, Add in Dry pulls and I am pushing 30-35% (judging by sales volume) of my stores CAF pulls... completely alone.

Seriously? Of course I'm not giving my life story on the walkie and I just say im not responding. But when everyone says they can't respond it's just a garbled mess on the walkie and I might as well be telling my story. Instead of adding a ton of useless walkie chatter management should be coaching people to respond.

I went up yesterday (having to listen to my pog tm my signing tm and my softlines tl say they were tied up) I was finally able to respond 15-20 seconds later. Meanwhile my LOD is yelling at people to come up even though the whole time I was trying to tell them I was coming up. Then the stupid GSTL uses me like a cashier for 30 minutes (that is not fast service.. that is horrible front end management)

Seriously? Of course I'm not giving my life story on the walkie and I just say im not responding. But when everyone says they can't respond it's just a garbled mess on the walkie and I might as well be telling my story. Instead of adding a ton of useless walkie chatter management should be coaching people to respond.

Radio etiquette - leadership doesn't have it while they constantly scream for back up. I have told ETLs if you give people a chance to respond they will, but instantly when you get back on the radio asking where is everyone, no one else can talk. When they start that I stop responding. One is so bad, I can walk from the bailer to front lanes they are polar opposite ends of the store, before she shuts up.

My ETLs are HORRIBLE about clogging up 1 when GSA is trying to get backup. I walked all the way from frozen (Back wall for my prototype) and signed in on a register before I even had the OPPORTUNITY to respond.

GL "I need backup, who's responding"
LOD "Guys, it's starting to get busy, who can help the front?"
GL "Who ever is coming up, please hop on 18"
LOD "I haven't heard a response yet, TEAM, who is heading towards the front?"
GL "I guess I'll hop on and get this guest started"
ME *shoulder taps* "I'm right here"

I don't mind coming up for fast service but what really drives me up a wall is when the rush is over and the GSL does nothing to help me get off the lane.

My ETLs are HORRIBLE about clogging up 1 when GSA is trying to get backup. I walked all the way from frozen (Back wall for my prototype) and signed in on a register before I even had the OPPORTUNITY to respond.

GL "I need backup, who's responding"
LOD "Guys, it's starting to get busy, who can help the front?"
GL "Who ever is coming up, please hop on 18"
LOD "I haven't heard a response yet, TEAM, who is heading towards the front?"
GL "I guess I'll hop on and get this guest started"
ME *shoulder taps* "I'm right here"

I don't mind coming up for fast service but what really drives me up a wall is when the rush is over and the GSL does nothing to help me get off the lane.

Do you work at my store? I hear these exact things each day. Lol. I don't mind helping as well but as a process tm I don't understand why I am up more than my softlines team in the morning. All they have is abandons, as flow zones for them each morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back