Archived Back-Up Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sometimes I'm called up and there's only like 2 people in each line.

Still, you should always respond for backup unless you're about to hit compliance or if you're helping a guest. Now cashiers should be given more hours to avoid frequent calls for backup, but that's a separate issue.

Since we're ranting, might as well open up the flood gates..

Does anyone have a front end that totally takes advantage of the rest of the team?

Checklane endcaps come down and 1 of 2 things happen: It all gets tossed (haphazardly) in a cart and dumped in receiving or it all goes into salesfloor reshop.
Endcaps looking a little light? Why research when you can just take everything from the home!They won't know the difference.
McLane candy has been worked and you have some left over? What's backstock? Just toss it in grocery reshop! They won't know the difference.
Soft drinks or checklane candy? Just toss it in grocery reshop! They won't know the difference.
Leaking milk? Just toss it on top of that cart of salvage and roll it back to receiving.
'Hey, you'll be in receiving eventually.. Mind taking this cardboard to the back? Careful, that box has broken glass and there may be some backstock on the bottom of the tub.'

I know there's a lot of things that the front end can't do on their own but it's really annoying that they're not willing to meet us halfway or even help us help them.

Do you work at my store? I hear these exact things each day. Lol. I don't mind helping as well but as a process tm I don't understand why I am up more than my softlines team in the morning. All they have is abandons, as flow zones for them each morning.
Um no softlines has a lot more then just abandons. We have pogs, adj, salesplanners, revisions... we have a lot!!!! I'm sorry your softlines doesn't answer, however don't think they're not doing anything....

Does anyone have a front end that totally takes advantage of the rest of the team?

Checklane endcaps come down and 1 of 2 things happen: It all gets tossed (haphazardly) in a cart and dumped in receiving or it all goes into salesfloor reshop.
Endcaps looking a little light? Why research when you can just take everything from the home!They won't know the difference.

McLane candy has been worked and you have some left over? What's backstock? Just toss it in grocery reshop! They won't know the difference.
Soft drinks or checklane candy? Just toss it in grocery reshop! They won't know the difference.
Leaking milk? Just toss it on top of that cart of salvage and roll it back to receiving.
'Hey, you'll be in receiving eventually.. Mind taking this cardboard to the back? Careful, that box has broken glass and there may be some backstock on the bottom of the tub.'

I know there's a lot of things that the front end can't do on their own but it's really annoying that they're not willing to meet us halfway or even help us help them.

My store does half of that. I think our GSTLS just assume that everyone is their whipping boy instead of "asking favors". That is probably why nobody respects them..

Um no softlines has a lot more then just abandons. We have pogs, adj, salesplanners, revisions... we have a lot!!!! I'm sorry your softlines doesn't answer, however don't think they're not doing anything....

POG took over softlines POGs at our store (pogs salesplanners and revisions are the same pretty much) and our VML took over all softlines adjacencies. They do nothing but zone at night and run abandons during the day. I was referring to my store, and the ability of them to respond more than me (as I'm a process team scheduled to my workload). I know some stores still have softlines set tables and adjacencys.. I used to be one of them until this month. ;)

Last edited:

Oh my gosh, constantly with the making of useless reshop. There's one GSTL that will bring it directly over to that department and just go, "You need to push this. I found it up front." One time she even came up to me and this one other guy as we were working electronics and handed us a cart overflowing with binders and pens and the like and tried to claim we didn't get our reshop from guest service. I'm sorry, what?

I went up yesterday (having to listen to my pog tm my signing tm and my softlines tl say they were tied up) I was finally able to respond 15-20 seconds later. Meanwhile my LOD is yelling at people to come up even though the whole time I was trying to tell them I was coming up. Then the stupid GSTL uses me like a cashier for 30 minutes (that is not fast service.. that is horrible front end management)

Don't blame us when we only have two cashiers scheduled. We can't do much managing beyond the fact both cashiers are busy and we really need a third, so we're forced to call for back up.

Don't blame us when we only have two cashiers scheduled. We can't do much managing beyond the fact both cashiers are busy and we really need a third, so we're forced to call for back up.

I do not blame for having the need to call. But when a process team answers and they are on the register for more than 10-15 minutes and you have a salesfloor tm on the floor.. whenever they get wrapped up with their guest, they should switch out with them if getting them off the lanes in the near future is not possible.

30 minutes isn't backup. At that point, it's open lane cashiering. If the front end wants a responsive salesfloor team that's willing to jump at the gun, they need to do what they can to keep the backup time short. If it's to the point where you consistently need the help, try to rotate in other SFTMs

I do not blame for having the need to call. But when a process team answers and they are on the register for more than 10-15 minutes and you have a salesfloor tm on the floor.. whenever they get wrapped up with their guest, they should switch out with them if getting them off the lanes in the near future is not possible.
I don't disagree with that, but unfortunately that isn't my decision to make as a GSA. I can't run the rest of the salesfloor and I would be stepping on toes if I go beyond, "hmm, do I have enough lanes open to take care of this or not?"

30 minutes isn't backup. At that point, it's open lane cashiering. If the front end wants a responsive salesfloor team that's willing to jump at the gun, they need to do what they can to keep the backup time short. If it's to the point where you consistently need the help, try to rotate in other SFTMs
Hard to do when there are a total of two of them...and if hardlines is covering electronics break/lunch then soft lines is out of luck.

Also, I have a hard time keeping back up short when they (especially the soft lines team) won't turn on their lane light, get pissy if I ask them to and refuse, won't let me send anyone to them without their say so, and then throw a fit when I give up and call for a second back up. I can get them in and out faster if they wouldn't try to speed weave from their lane. If they let me do my job, I get them out as fast as possible. If they want to speed weave and play games, then they're on their own.

Last edited:
It's a common occurrence for me to go up for backup for 15, sometimes 30 minutes. Sometimes, but rarely, even longer than that

I'm just generalizing as there's always extenuating circumstances and sometimes the shit does hit the fan. It also sounds like you're in a smaller store and you don't have as many resources at your disposal. I'm talking about the instances where it's POSSIBLE to rotate in another SFTM but the GSA/L does nothing.

If the store is in balls to the wall mode then obviously every TM needs to be on a lane. Thankfully my ETL team recognizes these moments and jumps on as well.

If the store is in balls to the wall mode then obviously every TM needs to be on a lane. Thankfully my ETL team recognizes these moments and jumps on as well.
Wish my store had your leaders. I don't think I've ever seen an ETL at my store jump on a register.

Hard to do when there are a total of two of them...and if hardlines is covering electronics break/lunch then soft lines is out of luck.

Also, I have a hard time keeping back up short when they (especially the soft lines team) won't turn on their lane light, get pissy if I ask them to and refuse, won't let me send anyone to them without their say so, and then throw a fit when I give up and call for a second back up. I can get them in and out faster if they wouldn't try to speed weave from their lane. If they let me do my job, I get them out as fast as possible. If they want to speed weave and play games, then they're on their own.

I understand that. My light goes on when I open, but if I'm there longer than 10-15 minutes it goes off. I become more and more uncooperative the longer I'm on a register and I can't even get a "I'm sorry nobody is responding I'm trying to get you off"

Wish my store had your leaders. I don't think I've ever seen an ETL at my store jump on a register.

One of my ETLS will get on. Our AP will not even do LOD duties at all unless he's closing. He's horrible. The others won't and sometimes 3 of them are at the checklanes having a pow-wow while everyone's backed up

One of my ETLS will get on. Our AP will not even do LOD duties at all unless he's closing. He's horrible. The others won't and sometimes 3 of them are at the checklanes having a pow-wow while everyone's backed up

There is nothing worse than an ETL pow wow in front of the lanes with really long lines. The guests don't care who they are or what they are (or aren't) doing. All they see is long lines and people in red and khaki ignoring them. And it looks super bad.

There is nothing worse than an ETL pow wow in front of the lanes with really long lines. The guests don't care who they are or what they are (or aren't) doing. All they see is long lines and people in red and khaki ignoring them. And it looks super bad.

Granted they are hollering over the walkie for everyone not with a guest to be on the lanes.. but somehow they aren't being held to the same standard. Lead by example guys.

This makes my blood boil. I understand they have other duties, but so does everyone else. If everyone went up for backup, including the leaders, the store would be more efficient.

It's a common occurrence for me to go up for backup for 15, sometimes 30 minutes. Sometimes, but rarely, even longer than that
This is me every time. I was on for almost an hour straight the other day. I called the gsa/gstl four times after thirty minutes passed. When the gstl finally came over the excuse was they just got back from lunch...if I was there before you went to lunch and there when you got back maybe you should check if I ever left.

Abd I am sometimes on the wave. Thirteen feet in the air in the entry. I could stop hanging signs, drive back to the backroom and come back up, but it will be awhile. I normally offer to suggest tm who look free, since I can see them all from up there...

Seriously? You don't need to give them your life story, just say that you aren't available. If nobody is communicating, then the LOD is gonna be on your ass because they will assume that it's simply a case of nobody wanting to come up for backup. Also, from the GSA's perspective, calling for backup only to get absolutely silence is infuriating. We're backed up to Softlines and I don't even know if I'll be able to get backup. It's the responsibility of every team member to make sure that guests are in and out of the store in a reasonable amount of time, and if that means coming for backup then it's your responsibility to lend a hand. If you're unable to come for backup, then just say so so that we can figure out who else is free for backup.

Every team member huh? Is that why when I'm walking all the way up from seasonal to back up, I pass everyone on flow? They don't have to respond. Neither does backroom. Receiving. Or the pmt. So much for team.

Most of our ETLs will hop on the register when we're backed-up. Our STL always seems to get RedCards and he says "if I can get RedCards everyone should be able to get a RedCard."

On Sunday we had a total of eight cashiers scheduled for the entire day! The one closer called off and I stayed for two hours over to help out.....when I was the only cashier for the last hour my GSA told TMs that she had just one cashier and that we'd be needing back-up......the other four TMs on the floor were really great about responding to back-up.....one of the four was operator so there were really just three to help out.

I always think it is funny how, in my store, people will say that they are in seasonal or in the back room and that "I'll be there in a few minutes......" makes me wonder how big our store really is if it takes a few minutes to get up front!

Most of our ETLs will hop on the register when we're backed-up. Our STL always seems to get RedCards and he says "if I can get RedCards everyone should be able to get a RedCard."
You have to safety stow what you are working on, account for being stopped by a guest and not run there. Five minutes from seasonal in the back corner to the checklanes in the opposite is not uncalled for at my pfresh sized store.
On Sunday we had a total of eight cashiers scheduled for the entire day! The one closer called off and I stayed for two hours over to help out.....when I was the only cashier for the last hour my GSA told TMs that she had just one cashier and that we'd be needing back-up......the other four TMs on the floor were really great about responding to back-up.....one of the four was operator so there were really just three to help out.

I always think it is funny how, in my store, people will say that they are in seasonal or in the back room and that "I'll be there in a few minutes......" makes me wonder how big our store really is if it takes a few minutes to get up front!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back