Archived Background Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey,
so recently I applied at target and was offered the job with ease. however, in 2014 I received a Gross Misdemeanor of "Conspiracy to commit a crime". I let a friend leave his firearm at my house and it was unlicensed (Stupid me). I then was given a probationary period in which I was successful on. I was also sent to do a 6 month disciplinary program. I'm quite nervous about if my background would clear or not. I have been in contact with the HR manager and it has been 9 days. I'm wondering if it were an immediate issue would they have kicked it back already and denied me? the interviewers absolutely loved me. however, I know it wouldn't be based on that. I currently work at staples so I'm wondering like are these things that they take in consideration? my charge is non-violent nor is it for theft so I would hope that they look into these things and take in consideration the mitigating factors. nonetheless, thank you guys for your input.

hey,
so recently I applied at target and was offered the job with ease. however, in 2014 I received a Gross Misdemeanor of "Conspiracy to commit a crime". I let a friend leave his firearm at my house and it was unlicensed (Stupid me). I then was given a probationary period in which I was successful on. I was also sent to do a 6 month disciplinary program. I'm quite nervous about if my background would clear or not. I have been in contact with the HR manager and it has been 9 days. I'm wondering if it were an immediate issue would they have kicked it back already and denied me? the interviewers absolutely loved me. however, I know it wouldn't be based on that. I currently work at staples so I'm wondering like are these things that they take in consideration? my charge is non-violent nor is it for theft so I would hope that they look into these things and take in consideration the mitigating factors. nonetheless, thank you guys for your input.

It is hard to say because Target doesn't do their own background checks. First Advantage does the background checks. Based on what I have seen, the chances are decent if you successfully served out your sentence with no other issues in the years following and you didn't lie about anything when responding to the background check questions. Contact HR to follow up on your status. They can see whether your background check has cleared. If it didn't clear, then they can give you the phone number to call First Advantage to find out why.

Last edited:
I talk to her Friday and she said it's still pending. Also, target doesn't make their own decisions? So if this 3rd party decides to say "hey this guy is not fit" then I'm out the door? It was for flow as well. I heard it all depends on the position as well.

I was hired on while on probation for a misdemeanor, so it would surprise me if it hurts your chances too bad

I was hired on while on probation for a misdemeanor, so it would surprise me if it hurts your chances too bad
That's what I'm saying man. I'd need a legitimate reason if mine were kicked back. Simply because that'd bother me. I already have a job so it wouldn't hurt me if denied but for the sake of my sanity.

Is there more to what's going on than letting your friend leave a gun at your house? While I'm not that versed in legalities, I find it hard the Officer Bob came over for the football game, saw the gun, and immediately decided you were part of a group jointly deciding to commit some crime. That extra bit may factor into the background check.

Is there more to what's going on than letting your friend leave a gun at your house? While I'm not that versed in legalities, I find it hard the Officer Bob came over for the football game, saw the gun, and immediately decided you were part of a group jointly deciding to commit some crime. That extra bit may factor into the background check.
Well it was stolen. I wasn't suppose to have it and this guy sent them to my house as if I was the one who played a part in this. Which eventually they could obviously see I wasn't. Hence, how I received a conspiracy to commit a crime. Oh might I note the originally charge was "unlawful attempt possession of a firearm" after succefully completing probation i was give a conspiracy to commit a crime.

Yeah, that makes sense, but even if not at Target, honesty up front could make a world of difference because there's lots of stories of people being swept up by a poor choice of friends.

Sorry that happened, but definitely be honest up front. And be glad that it's a misdemeanor, a lot of places I've applied at ask specifically about felonies, not convictions in general.

I talk to her Friday and she said it's still pending. Also, target doesn't make their own decisions? So if this 3rd party decides to say "hey this guy is not fit" then I'm out the door? It was for flow as well. I heard it all depends on the position as well.

Target does make its own decisions. If you're getting as far as the background check, then the Store Leaders have decided they want you. However they're not going to put the business, they're people, and the guests at risk just because you have good interview skills. The background check is purely about safety. If you don't pass the the background check, you're done. They're not risking their business for one TM.

Target does make its own decisions. If you're getting as far as the background check, then the Store Leaders have decided they want you. However they're not going to put the business, they're people, and the guests at risk just because you have good interview skills. The background check is purely about safety. If you don't pass the the background check, you're done. They're not risking their business for one TM.
Understandable, I've known of multiple people with assaults working at target which is weird. Again, by law my charge isn't considered violent. I guess I won't know until I actually see.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a lawsuit about the third party firm making the decisions for Target instead of Target making their own decisions? I'll see if I've got the original email.

Wasn't there a lawsuit about the third party firm making the decisions for Target instead of Target making their own decisions? I'll see if I've got the original email.
I'm glad you brought that up. I've come across that multiple times with google searches. I read nothing but horrible things about first advantage. I had a friend with a clean record in which he applied at Lowes and first advantage sent back "stolen motor vehicle" he disputed it and later gave up since it was such a headache. This guy has never even had so much as a parking ticket.

Were you up front about this in the first place? When I worked in HR (completely different industry, but where trusting our employees was a very big deal), past trouble with law enforcement was always something I was willing to discuss if the applicant was honest with me on the application and in the interview. But if they didn't tell me about it and I found out from the background report? That definitely was a huge red flag. It almost didn't even matter what it was because if they were going to be dishonest about this, what else were they going to be dishonest about?

There is more to the story by op, than the op telling us. IMO.
Meaning I'm lying? If that's what you mean I'm not sure why I'd have to make up some fictional story and add any twist or leave out any. I mean after all this is just a question that I wanted a bit of input on. No sense in lying about it as you're not the one that will be clearing or denying it.

I know that my store has kicked back applicants with non-violent felonies (marijuana) but idk if that's ASANTS or not.
It's a misdemeanor. However, I'm sure it happens daily all the time. It's not the end of the world if target kicks back my application. It's not something I'd really lose sleep over, Just would be more of curious than anything.

Meaning I'm lying? If that's what you mean I'm not sure why I'd have to make up some fictional story and add any twist or leave out any. I mean after all this is just a question that I wanted a bit of input on. No sense in lying about it as you're not the one that will be clearing or denying it.
We are off the clock & the Internet. Please contact the store about your application & follow up with it.
We are not ones who had interviewed you.

We are off the clock & the Internet. Please contact the store about your application & follow up with it.
We are not ones who had interviewed you.
Again, I only asked to shed light on my thoughts. I don't recall asking anyone if they thought my story was fabricated or partially true. At least, I don't recall? Thank you for your feedback man.

Again, I only asked to shed light on my thoughts. I don't recall asking anyone if they thought my story was fabricated or partially true. At least, I don't recall? Thank you for your feedback man.
Tessa120

I know that my store has kicked back applicants with non-violent felonies (marijuana) but idk if that's ASANTS or not.

We get yes or no. No criminal information comes to the store from the background check, unless there is something in the background check that requires clarification.

Did you disclose the conviction on your application?
I let my HR know and told her my charge. She said that she has seen worse clear.

Edit: APPS don't ask for convictions. At least, mine didn't.

There is more to the story by op, than the op telling us. IMO.
In all fairness there's a lot of articles about a lot of children in foster care that follow a similar scenario that the OP presents. Mom has the wrong sort of boyfriend and he either left something in his belongings at her house or he was at her house when the arrest happened. The mother gets swept up as part of a conspiracy despite not knowing what he left in his coat pocket or not knowing the details of what he was doing when not with her. When the DA starts offering deals in exchange for information on other criminals (usually dealers) she has no information to offer and therefore gets a harsher sentence than the actual criminals do. Her kids are then put into the foster care system and interlocking state laws (minimum sentencing vs ending parental rights timetables) starts the process of ending all her legal rights to her children. Simply because some guy promised to love her and do right by her kids and didn't tell her how he was getting the money for diapers.

I've been through background investigations for security clearances - much more in depth and sensitive than a Target check - and they were more concerned you were up front about anything that they may find. Better to come clean than have them find out through the check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back