Archived Backroom remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were told last night that we will be getting the new collapsable aisles in the backroom this October. I know I saw a picture of them a while ago but now forget what they look like. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here already had them at their Target and how well they work out. My mind already came up with the possible issues but "they" told us everyone at other Targets love them. Anyone have a pictures of them or info on how the hell they managed to do their backroom work during the dismantle and rebuilding of the aisles?

Did you ever get the collapsible aisles last month? Have any pics? I'm very curious about it

We did. They're terrible. Ok it added two whole aisles (so two valleys) to our backroom. But the cost is utterly destroyed efficiency. Before, we had 9 aisles in that area of the backroom. You could be in all 9 at the same time. Now, we have 11 aisles, but you can only be in 5 of them at a time. The other 6 are unavailable because they are scrunched up. Sounds like, um, win. Especially during 4th quarter. And during autofills. And during 12PM CAFs. And and and.....

Yeah. Also as a result, we lost most of our cotterman ladders (those ladders on rails that fold sideways inside the aisle) because they're physically not possible. So it's back to moving the rickety old and busted ladders in and out of the aisles all day. Those ladders are going to get messed up pretty quick because it happens quite often that someone forgets the ladder is in the aisle, so when they go to try and roll that particular aisle closed...WHAM. "F***, gotta go and drag the ladder out."

Hopefully they change that back for ya. If target wants to remodel stores and leave them with smaller stockrooms, then it needs to start thinking about other ways to maximize space. From a maximizing space standpoint the collapsible aisles are a good idea. They were never going to be efficient though. I just hope we're allowed to use risers this year, although it's nearly impossible to put up risers in toys because of all the boutique signing throughout the floorpad. We are so pressed for space since remodel that I don't even want to imagine what it will look like when we start taking doubles or extra trucks in just a few weeks!

I really wish store inventory was based on physical size rather than volume, at least for stores that are physically small (think "Just in Time" replenishment). We do close to $70M, but our stockroom is less than 20k sq.ft. No container, no offsite, no third party...nothing. I see stores with 25% less volume than us, but which have 3x the space that we do and it makes me want to cry seeing their gargantuan, empty, echo-y stockrooms. Meanwhile our stockroom is packed all the way to the ceiling in every aisle. Do you know how much time and productivity is wasted crawling up and down ladders all day, for nearly every single batch? Can you even comprehend how evil and sadistic and horrible and terrible pulling planos is in our store? Because inevitably planos are 90% casepacks, and they're nearly all in the uppers. Section A, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; then go to section B, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; then go to section C, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; then go to section D, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; etc. all the way to section T. A plano batch that takes an hour to pull in our store takes maybe half that in other stores.

And we wouldn't have this problem to begin with if it weren't for ridiculous city codes preventing us from expanding.

Last edited:
Can you even comprehend how evil and sadistic and horrible and terrible pulling planos is in our store? Because inevitably planos are 90% casepacks, and they're nearly all in the uppers. Section A, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; then go to section B, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; then go to section C, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; then go to section D, shelves 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; etc. all the way to section T. A plano batch that takes an hour to pull in our store takes maybe half that in other stores.

And we wouldn't have this problem to begin with if it weren't for ridiculous city codes preventing us from expanding.

The dulcet tones of "THUNK. THUNK. THUNK THUNK" as the boxes hit the floor....

It's too bad they don't have a way to collapse the library ladders in the rolling aisles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back