Backstock

Recently our store has stopped with doing backstock. They cleaned the backroom and got all the discontinued things out. For instance now since they can’t backstock Market has taken over a aisle near the car stuff and mini seasonal. Just wondering how many other stores do this. They also have a display of generation dolls and accessories in girls softlines.

Weekly SD/DSD Conference calls re: “backroom reduction“ . Yay to the store that removed the most. Get as much as possible, any way possible, OUT of the backroom. Moving towards a TJ Max look for departments. Ex: The home flat/hearth and hand - no planogram - put out what we have. Fine for decorating, not so much for HBA - imagine the shampoo aisle sans planogram.
To this end I’m dissapointed to see big baskets go away, they were great for filling with excess - marshmallows/cereal/razors......anything we put there sold out.

Weekly SD/DSD Conference calls re: “backroom reduction“ . Yay to the store that removed the most. Get as much as possible, any way possible, OUT of the backroom. Moving towards a TJ Max look for departments. Ex: The home flat/hearth and hand - no planogram - put out what we have. Fine for decorating, not so much for HBA - imagine the shampoo aisle sans planogram.
To this end I’m dissapointed to see big baskets go away, they were great for filling with excess - marshmallows/cereal/razors......anything we put there sold out.
What about the endcaps?

We have mini, trend, checklane endcaps, seasonal backwall, and some random endcaps around the store all of market.

*shrug* Our store is currently half empty. There is nothing in the back room and the sales floor just looks pitiful. We might be making sales if they would send us more stuff. idk what the problem is.

I'm so happy these are going away. Pain in the butt for OPU to get quickly through the store. They caused foot traffic jams

ME TOO. Some products on there (SPF, anti-bac... basically anything in a similar bottle to that) always dominoed over. Nightmare.

I'm over the amount of excess they're sending in. We have hair dye out the you-know-what and ONLY in the shades that aren't actually selling well. I'd love to make an endcap of it but SPF has taken over quite a bit also lol

Is this normal for Target during this time of year? Sending excess of random product?

I don't understand why they would choose now of all times to try a 'just-in-time' system like this. We literally just had global shortages due to the coronavirus, which could happen again in a few months. Which clearly makes it the worst time to try a system that completely falls apart in that type of scenario. And we know it does, because again, it literally just happened!

Is this normal for Target during this time of year? Sending excess of random product?

I wouldn't say this time of year, but it's a bad response to the shortages that we are seeing elsewhere in the store. I don't know if it's out of desperation to make it worth sending trucks financially and logistically.

My store is on the smaller side. On a regular pre covid week we would get 3 trucks. The past 6 weeks we have been doing 5-6. The days that we would have 3 in a row, the last two trucks would average to about 600 cartons. We had one truck that was literally less than 300. Is it really worth it to send multiple of that size? I really think DCs are at a point of where they are sending items we don't need to increase the truck size.

Small trucks are nice though. When the payroll is sufficient to have a full team there and it turns out the truck is a wee little runt, other things can actually get done. Let's not end those nice days.

But, let's do stop sending excessive amounts of the same DPCI that can't be swept back. My store's plastics DBO really didn't need a whole pallet of the same storage drawer thing that's one fit on the floor. He got it today though. Lucky guy. It's now flexed out into three completely nonsensical locations in the store. It's the old "Hey you came to this section for baby jumpers and swings, we don't have any of those but how about a nice three tier storage drawer instead? It has wheels and you can fit a baby inside each drawer!" That'll sell it down for sure.

Corporate wants to limit the quantities in the backroom while at the same time sending massive quantities of product that isn't moving. Their response to Covid from a logistics standpoint has been a nightmare for stores.

I have a six week supp
I don't understand why they would choose now of all times to try a 'just-in-time' system like this. We literally just had global shortages due to the coronavirus, which could happen again in a few months. Which clearly makes it the worst time to try a system that completely falls apart in that type of scenario. And we know it does, because again, it literally just happened!

We did just in time this time last year and had been doing it all through fourth quarter.

What I don't get is why they haven't adjusted pogs by now to accomodate the lack of variety. It would take less effort.

Our store never even did inventory this year because it was scheduled for March 27th.

We just started do "just-in-time" before COVID so Target has no way of comparing whether the new system is better or not.

Last edited:
Small trucks are nice though. When the payroll is sufficient to have a full team there and it turns out the truck is a wee little runt, other things can actually get done. Let's not end those nice days.

But, let's do stop sending excessive amounts of the same DPCI that can't be swept back. My store's plastics DBO really didn't need a whole pallet of the same storage drawer thing that's one fit on the floor. He got it today though. Lucky guy. It's now flexed out into three completely nonsensical locations in the store. It's the old "Hey you came to this section for baby jumpers and swings, we don't have any of those but how about a nice three tier storage drawer instead? It has wheels and you can fit a baby inside each drawer!" That'll sell it down for sure.
I find so many of those not tied... so ill do it when I find them just so I can find it later on the occasion I do flex or helping guest find a random item.

Our store never even did inventory this year because it was scheduled for March 27th.

We just started do "just-in-time" before COVID so Target has no way of comparing whether the new system is better or not.

No one is doing inventory due to RGIS or whoever they get to come in and count it, the companies basically fired everyone when the Covid lockdowns started. What we were told in a meeting.

Flex everything out + no case pack back stocked + product not needed sent to store = less in DC + nothing to send back to DC. So tell me again who this benefits?

The big baskets are cute but take up a lot of room. But I'd still take them over in-aisle displays, which are really in the way and make the store look cramped and cluttered. I hate them.
I like the amp gifting but only when it’s a set like CB1 or CB2. The stand alone towers or carts loook dumb. Also any time they don’t send signing they look dumb

Some dunderhead somewhere took "customers want stores to be well-stocked" to mean "customers want to see shelves packed with something, anything at all, doesn't matter what" rather than "customers want the shit they came in for to be in stock." You know what? As a customer at any store, if I see a shelf label for an item I want and it happens to be out of stock, I'll check back another time or try a different location. If I have no way of knowing the store even carries anything I'd care to buy, I'm not coming back.

Some dunderhead somewhere took "customers want stores to be well-stocked" to mean "customers want to see shelves packed with something, anything at all, doesn't matter what" rather than "customers want the shit they came in for to be in stock." You know what? As a customer at any store, if I see a shelf label for an item I want and it happens to be out of stock, I'll check back another time or try a different location. If I have no way of knowing the store even carries anything I'd care to buy, I'm not coming back.
Exactly. It's why I can't stand it when they tell us to flex everything over. Sure it'll make the shelves look more full - to a child. Because anyone else is going to obviously see that there is only 1 or 2 items on the shelf instead of the usual 6. It's not fooling anyone and it just makes stocking and zoning more of a pain, and causes guests to not know what we carry.

Flex everything out + no case pack back stocked + product not needed sent to store = less in DC + nothing to send back to DC. So tell me again who this benefits?
It benefits the DC because it makes them look super efficient because their inventory is kept low and they aren't ordering anything the stores don't need!

I had a summer job where I had to cut bolts down because the parts crib didn't stock ones the right length. Any money saved by doing that was negated by all the time I spend cutting down bolts that didn't even cost a dime.

Back