Archived Bag bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ours get recycled I think. Or at least sorted into a pallet-sized box in recieving.

Edit - Actually, don't those go on the sweep trailer?

Well, they're supposed to. That doesn't mean they actually do.

Like most things, it looks good to tell the guest "yes we recycle" but that just means in my store they go in the trash since people can't/won't take the time to do the handling to get then recycled. We have a blue recycle bin in the break room you know where its contents end up? In the trash compactor.

We did the big bins for the recycling program for about a month, then we needed the space for something else. Took them down never to return.

So the environment is important for PR but not the environment.

Edit - Actually, don't those go on the sweep trailer?

Well, they're supposed to. That doesn't mean they actually do.

Like most things, it looks good to tell the guest "yes we recycle" but that just means in my store they go in the trash since people can't/won't take the time to do the handling to get then recycled. We have a blue recycle bin in the break room you know where its contents end up? In the trash compactor.

We did the big bins for the recycling program for about a month, then we needed the space for something else. Took them down never to return.

Always loved watching the nighttime janitors dumping the recycle bins and the trash together.
We had a PTL who was hardcore about recycling and was made the captain for it.
But when she left (they pretty much drove her out - we went through a lot of PTLs) nobody care after that.

Your cleaning crew actually dumps the trash in the break room? Ours can't be bothered, unless the SFT is there at that time of the morning. And yep all dumped in the same can. Or they get a talking to, that lasts the week for that person, they change rotation they stop getting emptied.

Repeat as needed.

Speaking of bags, I hate it when you get a bad batch and when you pull the guest's bag off the bag holder 5 more come off with it! I try and reuse those but sometimes they rip and in the trash bin they go. I know. I'm bad.

I hate when you get a bad batch like that. Then people try to take off the bags themselves and pull off 10 more with it. Then you have to ask them to just let you do it. I feel like a school teacher, having to tell everyone not to just rip off the bags because they stick together. I seriously wish they'd give us a separate bagging area

YESSSSS, I hate it when the guests do that!! Plus, usually I was going to put more stuff in a particular bag (I try and bag like items together) but they're busy pulling bags off that only have 3 items in it. Maybe they're trying to help but they're not really. :(

For some reason, I feel like there's some law about accepting recyclables, and not handling them properly. Although, knowing Target it'd probably be easier to just pay a fine, than actually find a way to handle the plastic bags.

It's kinda sad, because, I know there are some guests, who put in, a decent amount of effort, to save our bags, and remember to bring them, back, in hopes that their doing a form of Good.

Including Me :p Although, at least at the store I worked at, they did make it in the sweep trailer. Although, what happened, after that is a mystery.

The recycle bins are in sight of our counters so it was interesting to see some guy come in with a huge bag of plastic bags & stuff it in our recycle bin.
And equally hilarious to see the crazy cat lady come in & dig them out.

Ohh. I don't know that I've ever seen a compactor then, whatever it is. I've only seen the box smusher... And the trash can that's next to it.

Interesting. The word compactor just sounded like it'd be the smusher thing lol. I never used either word, luckily, so no chances for embarrassmen have come up yet. I Google imaged it last night, and it auto completed to "compactor bailer" so that was confusing. When you do software searches, you get farm junk ahaha. Idc, though. I know where to put boxes on rare occasions I get stuck pushing stuff. That's all that matters.

SC-T2-30-CATO%20GREEN.JPG
\

That's roughly what we're talking about, except that from inside the store you're basically opening a metal door with a window next to the baler and walking on top of where that caution sticker is, so it's pretty much a metal gate in front of a hole in the floor.

They do the same basic thing (smash stuff), but the compactor is a whole lot bigger since it has to take stuff as large as bikes/furniture/etc.

Last edited:
SC-T2-30-CATO%20GREEN.JPG
\

That's roughly what we're talking about, except that from inside the store you're basically opening a metal door with a window next to the baler and walking on top of where that caution sticker is, so it's pretty much a metal gate in front of a hole in the floor.

They do the same basic thing (smash stuff), but the compactor is a whole lot bigger since it has to take stuff as large as bikes/furniture/etc.

Or my favorite eggs.
Did anybody else get to destroy the eggs the year that there was the major scandal about where the eggs were being produced?
We filled the compactor and made one hell of an omelette.

They make cellulose based plastic. Takes about a month or less for it to biodegrade.

Then again, bag bans would mean less "Can you double bag that....Please separate those items..."

Be like me and others and reuse your plastic bags as trash can liners.

I wish we would implement bag bans where I live. My Target is in a richer area, so we get a lot of snooty jerks come in. They want bags for their gift bags! I don't even understand this. Just lay it on the seat and it shouldn't get smashed.....

Every city in my ENTIRE geographical region has banned plastic bags. I wouldn't be too annoyed with it if it weren't for the part where the law actually explicitly spells out that you must charge $0.10 per bag if a customer wants them. I thought it was just the greedy store doing that, but then I found out it's actually written into the law itself. I was utterly and completely speechless (well, in G-rated terms) that the government would have the nuts the come up with some sh** as stupid as that.

"You can't give plastic bags out anymore. Only paper. Oh and by the way, you can't give them out for free, we say that you have to charge money for them."

WTF?!!!?

It's to deter people from using them. They're hoping people will remember that ten cent and instead, bring their own bags or opt against the plastic ones. Also still allows people to use them opposed to a strict ban that didn't even allow you to purchase them. It's just like how a couple states have minimum cigarette price laws. I don't smoke, but if I did, I couldn't afford to keep up with it. The things have to be up to $12 a pack here by now.

I invite the people who came up with these bans to come over to my house on a regular basis to do litter box clean up for my two cats. Since they feel I don't need a plastic bag to do this, they will find it no trouble at all to do a quick, easy clean up.

I just don't see why people don't have a trash bin directly next to the litter box. Or move the bin next to the litterbox when it's cleaning time.

I just don't see why people don't have a trash bin directly next to the litter box. Or move the bin next to the litterbox when it's cleaning time.

We do but shit stinks. You line your can with the bag scoop the box and take it out side repeat daily.

Some people don't mind if their house smells like shit but I do, so that gets hauled to the can outside.

We do but shit stinks. You line your can with the bag scoop the box and take it out side repeat daily.

Some people don't mind if their house smells like shit but I do, so that gets hauled to the can outside.
Yep, so that would mean emptying my garbage (with plastic bag) nearly daily. So my garbage bag usage goes up. Which, being bigger bags, means more of an environmental issue than the normal plastic bags.

We don't have any bag regulations in my area (thank God), but my local Aldi has been charging 10 cents for their plastic bags for years. Of course, they always have small boxes laying around that you can take to carry your groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back