Archived Bag bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
So a nearby suburb instituted a plastic bag ban & now there's talk about bringing it into town.
Some TM friends at these stores have mentioned a mix of guest responses ranging from the P.O.d inconvenienced to those who support it & bring their own bags.
They offer paper bags for .10 or knock off a nickel for each of your own bags you use.
They said it DID cut down on the amt of bags they order & they've been selling a lot of reusable bags but one TM told me that some guests will decline bags & carry their merch 'til they get to an empty lane at the end then grab a bag on their way out.
Me, personally, I use reusables most of the time but will take items in a plastic bag sometimes because they're great for wastebaskets :)
I'd like to see more people bring their own bags but I have mixed feelings about mandating it. I'd REALLY miss the big bags we use for Christmas, tho. And sometimes people bring in the nastiest bags.....
Comments?

Last edited:
They said it DID cut down on the amt of bags they order & they've been selling a lot of reusable bags but one TM told me that some guests will decline bags & carry their merch 'til they get to an empty lane at the end then grab a bag on their way out.

Those SOBs..... >_>

Skip to :19 for relevant comment! :)

So a nearby suburb instituted a plastic bag ban & now there's talk about bringing it into town.
Some TM friends at these stores have mentioned a mix of guest responses ranging from the P.O.d inconvenienced to those who support it & bring their own bags.
They offer paper bags for .10 or knock off a nickel for each of your own bags you use.
Me, personally, I use reusables most of the time but will take items in a plastic bag sometimes because they're great for wastebaskets :)
I'd like to see more people bring their own bags but I have mixed feelings about mandating it. I'd REALLY miss the big bags we use for Christmas, tho. And sometimes people bring in the nastiest bags.....
Comments?

I understand the use of reusable bags, but anytime I get them, I either:
1) Don't use them.
2) Forget about them.
3) Or just go with the convenience of not having to fool with them and getting my groceries and junk bagged by the cashier.

I usually wind up forgetting them in my car trunk 99.9% of the time since I usually have to do my shopping during my lunch breaks due to working a lot of closing shifts.

I have two cats. Plastic bags are needed for litter box patrol.

And considering the studies done on the bacteria many of those bags harbor because they never get washed...well, ew...I do my best to block that out of my mind when people hand me those bags (usually halfway through the order, naturally).

fa60ff3ec8ceda930e698f7312933898d7683afdede0936d08d366568d160fb8.jpg

There has been a county-wide tax on using plastic bags in my area since the beginning of last year, paper bags are not an option here. The tax is 5 cents per bag, but there is also a 5 cent credit for each reusable bag they bring in (there is a barcode on the register that is scanned for each bag used and it shows up on the receipt as a 5 cent Target coupon). The bags are charged at the end of the transaction, after you hit total you are prompted to enter how may bags were used. Most people are OK with it but a few let you know that the "damn government" isn't getting any more money from them, they'll just put everything back into the cart and take it out to their car, or they will carry everything out in their arms. Or others want a big bag since they are paying for it. Oh well, I'm sure these are the same "guests" that otherwise make for good stories.
So you have ask if they would like bags at the beginning of the transaction. If they have their own it helps to set them up before you start ringing, it saves a little time and may help stay you green on speed. There is not any extra space for the bags at the register, so it is pain when filling multiple bags with various items, food, clothes, cleaners, chemical, etc., because you still want to try to keep things separate.
I must say I am sometimes envious of the locations that don't have the bag fees. But from a different perspective, the bag tax has reduced the amount of plastic trash that accumulates in streams and on roadsides, and it has generated a little more revenue.

I support the idea of plastic bag bans. Plastic bags are a litter issue. We should be cutting down on waste. We should not be using something that hurts the environment in the sake of convince. We should bring back paper bags since paper is recyclable & biodegradable.

The plastic bag ban worked in my area. I like it, and I wouldn't mind paper bags.

Why did we stop using those anyways?

Speaking of bags, I hate it when you get a bad batch and when you pull the guest's bag off the bag holder 5 more come off with it! I try and reuse those but sometimes they rip and in the trash bin they go. I know. I'm bad.
I don't mind using people reusable bags but sometimes they give me 1 and then want 30 lbs of groceries put into it. Sooooo...You want your bread in here with your gallon of OJ...? allrightiethen.
I have several reusable bags myself. But I usually forget them in my vehicle. :( I HATE that!!

PAPER, please! I'm sick of double and triple bagging so their bread will not fall in the bus, or somebody is going to see that they bought pads.

Portland did a bag ban and it works alright, though admittedly it kind of sucks a little since this is a rather rainy city. If you're that concerned about your bag falling apart then just bring tote bags or something. I believe the plastic bag ban is now in effect for all grocery stores and food services this year (rather than just large grocery retailers), and the reduction in plastic bag litter in the streets has been sharply reduced, which is a plus.

As far as guest reactions, most just didn't give a rats ass. I think the only irritation was the lack of large paper bags for presents during Christmas, and most guests just got over it.

Seems like a good idea to me, but I never remember to bring my reusables even though I have a million of em. Steve Madden stores give the things away for free. I use my SM bag for everything but shopping :/. I make sure to recycle the excess bags I have... Except the ones in my tiny trash can just go in the trash. We have a plastic bag recycling bin up front with all those other bins and a bunch of other non-target stores in my area do too

Speaking of bags, I hate it when you get a bad batch and when you pull the guest's bag off the bag holder 5 more come off with it! I try and reuse those but sometimes they rip and in the trash bin they go. I know. I'm bad.

I hate when you get a bad batch like that. Then people try to take off the bags themselves and pull off 10 more with it. Then you have to ask them to just let you do it. I feel like a school teacher, having to tell everyone not to just rip off the bags because they stick together. I seriously wish they'd give us a separate bagging area

Seems like a good idea to me, but I never remember to bring my reusables even though I have a million of em. Steve Madden stores give the things away for free. I use my SM bag for everything but shopping :/. I make sure to recycle the excess bags I have... Except the ones in my tiny trash can just go in the trash. We have a plastic bag recycling bin up front with all those other bins and a bunch of other non-target stores in my area do too

Yeah...our plastic bag recycling bin contents go into the compactor. I wonder how many other stores (both Spot and non-Spot) do the same thing.

I thought the compactor was only for smushing boxes? Does it not get recycled or something? Lol, I assumed they were smushing the boxes for easier recycling, but idk. I know a ton of recyclables just go in the trash at my store anyway, because there's only one place with a recycling bin and a million trash cans around the store. Also no recycling in the break room so everyone's stouffer and Marie callendar, et al boxes are just in the garbage.

Yeah...our plastic bag recycling bin contents go into the compactor. I wonder how many other stores (both Spot and non-Spot) do the same thing.

Um.. I don't think we're supposed to do that. I think, they're actually supposed to be, recycled :p

Edit - Actually, don't those go on the sweep trailer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back