Archived Being developed for promotion to TL during new hire probation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first time post here, been reading since before I was hired.

I'm a flow TM right now. I have about a month and a bit left before my new hire probation period is over. Recently my store has been hiring new flow team members like crazy (recent switch from overnight to 6am trucks). I was hired like a month before they went crazy hiring new TMs so I have a lot more experience than these new guys (not that flow is hard in any way). In the past week or so we've hired at least 15 new TM's and my TL and ETL have been basically letting me babysit them and train them. Like today for example we're transitioning part of seasonal to Christmas and I was basically given 3 other TM's and I was left to manage them, like, specifically told to lead them and this wasn't the first time this has happened. We used to have 2 flow TL's and one ETL, but one TL recently switched to instocks. My TL or ETL haven't specifically said that I'm being developed for TL (or even mentioned that a TL position is open).

My question is : does this sound like I'm being developed for TL? Is it possible to be promoted before probation ends or recently after the probation ends? Sometimes I feel like I'm being treated like a TL but I'm not getting paid like a TL which kinda sucks. I love the experience and I would definitely be interested in the promotion.

Sorry to say this, but no. When a TL sees someone capable of taking on more responsibilities, they give them more responsibilities. Usually, after they've proved themselves this way, a team member will be developed. They'll tell you if you're being developed for the bench before they start.

Depends on the store.

More than likely, they're using you to ensure workload is completed.

You could have a decent leader who is just seeing what type of potential you have, but it's unlikely.

It's a good sign that you are being trusted with tasks. That said, if you think that being trusted to guide three other TMs in completing a single task is in any way close to the duties and responsibilities of a good TL, you have a lot to learn. The comment about being treated like a TL but without the pay made me laugh. It sure doesn't sound like you have the work or the stress of a TL, so I'm not sure why you should get paid like one.

Thanks for the input guys. This is in Target Canada, if that makes any difference with how things happen around here. I'm pretty friendly with all the TL's and ETL's so I like to think I've made an impression around here. We'll see how things go.

APredux; This was just an example of something that happened today. I've practically lead the wave when the one flow TL was off and it was just the ETL running receiving, the backroom, and all the flow TM's. I also didn't exactly mean getting paid the same as a TL, but I personally think it sucks to get paid the same amount as some of the slackers on my team while doing a lot more work and fixing their mistakes.

but I personally think it sucks to get paid the same amount as some of the slackers on my team while doing a lot more work and fixing their mistakes.

You're certainly not alone in this feeling. I am not particularly thrilled that I make the exact same pay after 1.5 years as the new kids I get to train and babysit. Or that I make less than the GSA I get to babysit. I should not be at the service desk and still do the majority of his job in addition to all the service desk duties.

That I can understand. I'm one month in role yet I've already caught up to most of the other APTL's in my district YTD on a whole bunch of stats... but I sure don't get a bonus for busting my ass :)

That I can understand. I'm one month in role yet I've already caught up to most of the other APTL's in my district YTD on a whole bunch of stats... but I sure don't get a bonus for busting my ass :)

Here it was a case of min wage recently raising, so while I did start at $7.40, and was making $7.97 a while ago, I now make $8.15, the same as every brand new cashier.

Here it was a case of min wage recently raising, so while I did start at $7.40, and was making $7.97 a while ago, I now make $8.15, the same as every brand new cashier.

Same here. I've had three good performance reviews and a promotion, and I still make as much as a new flow tm.

It sounds like you're a top performing team member ;) You're headed in the right direction, but you aren't necessarily being developed yet!

As my TM, I would be developing you and preparing you for interviews. However I have seen TMs given responsibilities without any intention of promoting them.

I was being considered after a week in my current store (I did have previous experience at target 2 years prior to starting at my store..) began prepping after 4months was signed off after 6 months position at the end of that 6 th month

From what scenario you've described they are just using you to get a project done. For the past 3 years ive been in charge of ptm on a store and sometimes district level. Run the toy team during 4th quarter as well as train newbies for hardlines. Still a team member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back