Archived Being fired for making too much money

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got an award for "controlling expense" last year lol.
Before this blows up, I just want everyone to know that while STLs/ETLs do get bonuses for making payroll, it does not matter how much they make it by. An STL who makes it by 2 hours is the same as an STL who makes it by 1000 hours, except the one holding 1000 hours back is an idiot for throwing all of those hours down the drain. Most of the year, they need to save payroll as much as they can because they might need to spend it in November and December. And if we miss sales in Nov/Dec, we could flex down (lose hours) and end up missing payroll by hundreds of hours. (Also, it's not like we get much payroll to begin with, so even spending the correct amount seems like saving...)

Sorry, just had to do that. People shit on STLs/ETLs a lot for payroll. Sure, they make plenty of mistakes, but they don't control how many hours they are allowed to spend.

It was just a breakfast lol. Idk if there was a bonus. Idc either. The dtl had breakfast with those stls who'd achieved "golden contributions." That comment wasn't about any bonuses. I said he banked the hours for emergencies. And maybe those emergency hours helped him out when he needed to fire someone... or when someone quit. No ones complaining about hours. The etls making the schedule are following orders from people who are following orders.... from someone who might be following orders.

That comment wasn't gonna blow up, though. No one here cares about my stl saving up so he can eat cereal with his boss. Besides, I posted about it back in April in the ttotm thread. I wasn't mad at the act , but flexing on Twitter because hours were cut just right annnnnnoyed tf out of me. But that wasn't what my comment was about. And idk why you got so defensive of a man you dk.

It was just a breakfast lol. Idk if there was a bonus. Idc either. The dtl had breakfast with those stls who'd achieved "golden contributions." That comment wasn't about any bonuses. I said he banked the hours for emergencies. And maybe those emergency hours helped him out when he needed to fire someone... or when someone quit. No ones complaining about hours. The etls making the schedule are following orders from people who are following orders.... from someone who might be following orders.

That comment wasn't gonna blow up, though. No one here cares about my stl saving up so he can eat cereal with his boss. Besides, I posted about it back in April in the ttotm thread. I wasn't mad at the act , but flexing on Twitter because hours were cut just right annnnnnoyed tf out of me. But that wasn't what my comment was about. And idk why you got so defensive of a man you dk.
It was preventative because, as I said in my post, people shit on STLs and ETLs all the time about payroll. Not you, but other people. They seem to think that STLs try to end up spending like 80% of their payroll for the entire year. When you said "He got an aware for 'controlling expense' last year," I knew that people would take that and run with it. Not you. Other people. I have seen it too many times and I'm just sick of it. I'm sorry if it came off as directed at you. That was not my intent. I also don't give a shit about your STL. But there are plenty of people on this site who attack people without understanding their position. Again, not you.

Target stores are graded upon retention you know...theyre awarded each year based on how many problem employees theybare able to work with to stay and to help perform.

Exactly. While I do think that Target thinks they're slick and is capable of some shady things, I feel like this whole thread is mostly conspiracy theories. I've worked at the same store for over 5 years and never heard of someone being "pushed out". Any one who got fired did something way out of line or something multiple times and never learned their lesson. Nine times out of ten it was theft/discount abuse/AP related.

I've never seen a hard worker (or even just decent) who showed up everyday get their hours cut or get coached for petty things. In fact, most of the good workers who put in their two weeks are given a counter offer to stay or at the very least asked if something can be changed to make them stay. I've been given a raise during the holidays to stay and not take another job offer, so I don't really buy the whole "make payroll room for seasonal TMs".

So if you're being coached often or feel like you're getting pushed out, you either work in a store with terrible managment or (and more likely) you are someone who has a terrible attitude and not god's gift to Target like you think.

Target is going to find itself in a bad position. They refuse to train properly, so the only TMs who end up being effective are those who take the initiative to learn processes on their own. The store starts relying on this small group of TMs, creating a divide- TMs who have a solid 35-38hrs every week, year-round, and TMs who have 10hrs.

Might be one of the best posts I've seen in a long time. You hit the proverbial nail on the head and I could not agree more.

. In fact, most of the good workers who put in their two weeks are given a counter offer to stay or at the very least asked if something can be changed to make them stay.
Yep. And not just TLs. We had a TM who was very skilled in cosmetics breakout and stocking, she could help any guest with any question and helped sell a lot. It was suspected she was stealing here and there but there wasn't enough proof. She put in her 2 weeks and immediatly the ETL offered her a 1.50 raise to stay because she was so good at the job.

Also another TM in softlines who was very skilled ended up leaving but was convinced to come back 4th quarter this year with a raise because her talent is unmatched. So yeah. Some mgmt can be screwy though

The economy is better but I agree with the previous post people who want seasonal work are going to stores that are more competitive offering guarenteed hours and starting them sooner. We have some seasonals who started this past week but others have orientation at the end of November, literally four weeks of work for those folks.
We're starting our seasonal hires in waves, our first wave starts the first week of November. my STL sat all of the ETLs down and told them if they want people in there work center they had to commit hours to give up so they could be oriented, so we're setting aside training hours so we can know exactly how much payroll we're using, and doing orientation every week or if not making sales every other week.

In my last years 2006-2009, I saw my hours and hours of anyone over 3 years go from 35-40 hours to 20 a week when the new headcount numbers started up. When our hours dropped, I saw an increase in new hires who got 30+ hours especially during the holidays.

They cant specifically target TMs for making too much but they can certainly make it hard. Increase duty load, nick pick on performance, low hours, and find anything to write them up.

Coming from someone who makes a schedule....if your a TL you'll never get less than 35 hours, a hardworking TM that's been at the store a while you might get 25-32 (that range is either you'll be schedule 4 full TM shifts or 5 full TM shifts), a new TM 16-24, and just a TM who does just enough to stay around and not enough to get fired....you'll get just enough hours to maybe pay bills

Hour cuts for longtime employees are usually about insurance.

I've noticed this one happening to me. I keep finishing my year off with a 29 hour average lol. The attention to detail there is impressive tbh. I thought I qualified last year (29.57), but when I got the paperwork, it said I didn't. From what I hear, my free obama situation is a better deal, anyway.

Hour cuts for longtime employees are usually about insurance.
But whenever your avg. hours go down to where you're ineligible for benefits they give you a few months to increase them back to the necessary amount. I don't use my health benefits much but I do know if it were to happen to me the first thing I'd do is go to HR to talk about getting me back to where I need to be....I THOUGHT they gave you a few months, could be weeks.

Didn't happen to me. I got less hours, became ineligible for insurance, management's attitude was tough luck hope you find it somewhere else. However asants I hope others had/have a better experience.

I am going to go with this is probably mostly BS. I have worked with the company for a long time and after stepping down from a TL spot I became a highly paid team member. I never felt threatened because of my compensation because I was worth it. For the last several years Spot has not been my main source of income but I still keep their part time because of the perks. I perform a service for the company but at the same time its not worth the $6-8 more per hour they pay me vs what they could pay someone else to do the same thing. So the fact I have done this for several years and they have not fired me I think this is just a fake witch hunt. If you do not give them a reason to fire you they will not fire you. In the grand scheme of things your dependability as a high paid TM is worth more than firing you. If you are not dependable it just makes it easier to fire you.

never had this happen in my district. the only time this happens is because higher pay and expectations go hand in hand. When your paid more your expected to do more and are held at a higher standard, it just so happens that your replacement will always be working at minimum wage because you only get hired at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back