Archived Being Kept Past Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious where other stores stand on keeping everyone past schedule to finish the close. Our store pretty much keeps you however long they want...ive been kept up to 3 hours before. I always thought this was just how it worked since other jobs Ive had did the same thing. Then I started hearing that we actually aren't required to stay it just something that noone ever disputes. Also I have worked with people from other stores recently where at their store keeping people past schedule at all is punishable. Seems like something that certain STL's just find loopholes for.

While I am pretty sure that you don't have to stay past your scheduled shift (closing especially), most people don't feel that they have the option to leave.

Our store is usually pretty good with leaving on time, but sometimes ad take-down runs over.

If we're having a big visit then they seem to want to make us stay late.

However, they are pretty good at my store telling people that they can go at their scheduled close time.

We never leave on time at my store. Only one ETL is pretty consistent about leaving on time but its because she couldnt care less and never has the STL to answer to the following morning. From what I hear the ETL's actually get in trouble if they DONT force us to stay.

If we leave then he will pull that **** about holding us accountable for our performance. I've had that conversation with him and it's not something we will win. Even though there are only 2 closers, the store is a wreck, no zone has been done all day, etc. it just doesn't matter. I am tempted to challenge this again due to the way they reacted the other day when I picked up that shift. Saturday I left with hardly letting anyone know, it was 1.5 hours from Thursday and .45 or 1hr from Friday I had to cut. TM's had to cut also so of course that was included in the email...no ****, we keep them late every damn night.

I just dont see where having a good close and leaving on time will ever match up at our store. Alot of it is that they only implement the Mid-Day on us while they talk about what to have for lunch for two hours. Obviously bringing it up to our ETL did nothing I dont know where else to take it to see results. Ill be honest I dont even push CAF's anymore during the mid-day I refuse

That's so weird, our store is just the opposite lately. The word came down from our DTL that not only were we not to keep people past their schedule, we had to be completely done with our zone and out of the store after 30 minutes! Needless to say our store looks like total crap.

Last I heard, closing teams are not to stay more than a hour on regular nights. On holiday nights they will extend payroll a little for 2 hour closings.

But I remember the worst closing I ever did was Mother's Day eve. We didn't get out till 2am.

Last edited:
For the past couple of months the hours situation has been such that more often than not the closing team leaves within 15 minutes of store closing, leaving a poor zone and carts of reshop for the opening team to deal with. In fact, the current schedules only have closing sales floor team scheduled until 10 o'clock on the dot. You would think the company is going bankrupt the way our store is scheduling. We do pretty decent business and have exceeded forecast sales on the year. Back in the good old days, it was typically the case wherre most of the team would stay until the job was finished, but there were always a token few who never did. Most people wanted to stay anyway - at the very least it casts you in a positive light as a team player.

At my store if you stay more than five minutes past what you are scheduled they will walkie and then overhead you to clock out. They can ask you to stay and work later but if you say no that is the end of it.

Its pretty much all but written that if you want to keep your job you will stay until you are "allowed" to leave. Ive seen team members who had to leave for legitimate reasons and then were quickly managed out of the building. One time was after we were held for over two hours and a seasonal girl had to leave to pick up her kids from daycare (it was like 2am at this point). The next day it was brought up at the TL meeting and we were told we werent keeping her after 4th quarter.

What always amazes me about stories like this is the absurd use of payroll. These same stores who poorly manage their hours and don't staff the store during the day to maintain a brand image end up just using those hours anyways by keeping everyone so long past close. Worse yet, those extra hours are never allotted to them, so they end up wondering how they went over payroll by 100+ hours at the end of the month. I feel for those of you who have to go through this, but pardon me for feeling thankful that my store isn't one of them.

Mule I don't always think its bad HR decisions as much as pressure from the DTL and HRBP. With some blame falling to the HR ETL for not communicating scheduling needs with the rest of leadership.

There can be plenty of reasons to be working past schedule, I just stayed an hour alter for work today bcus the next guy didn't come in until then, so i would blame the scheduler for that mistake. No1 seemed to care bcus I didnt ask o stay later nor the gstl didnt mind, but its all good.

The most persistent reason to ask early is not to go into overtime, but recently our store wants every1 who is scheduled till close to actually gtfo, sounds crazy but usually we would stay in an extra 30 mins just to clean up, from when I walk into the store when I open, there is some havok wreck to clean up afterwards

So whether you have to open or close, I'm pretty sure the closing team gets the heavy heat if they dont finish on time, to say if tasks arent completed. I think it would be better if we all could work together to finish strong, but i guess money is money.

What always amazes me about stories like this is the absurd use of payroll. These same stores who poorly manage their hours and don't staff the store during the day to maintain a brand image end up just using those hours anyways by keeping everyone so long past close. Worse yet, those extra hours are never allotted to them, so they end up wondering how they went over payroll by 100+ hours at the end of the month. I feel for those of you who have to go through this, but pardon me for feeling thankful that my store isn't one of them.

^This.
We'll be sent to the far reaches after close to zone while dodging flow, all while the ETL is telling us to 'hurry up' before calling us all up for a frenzied finish.
Then later in the week, the ETL-HR is cutting hrs to the bone & we can't get anything done because of the lack of coverage.

There's actually a score on DTK that measures the number of hours that TMs are on the clock after the store has been closed for an hour. You're not supposed to have more than one percent of your store's hours occur after that point. It seems like that's a number the DTL would want to pay attention to if a store is doing badly on payroll or service scores.

the sad part is, if there is 2 tm"s for all hl till 6pm, how can you close with a good zone? not! spot is letting max run the show.

Last edited:
I agree with so much of this. From 11pm until 10 am the stores look pretty well zoned, who cares?BUT during the day when we have the cash paying guests in the store we are shredded to pieces. The softlines reshop racks are packed full at the fitting room. Reshop bins are overflowing at the service desk. And there are pulls sitting on the line waiting to be worked because the few people who are actually scheduled are all on the checklanes. We have product waiting to be sold, waiting to be put on the floor. Then when you do have a closing crew come in they are hit with a store that looks like a disaster and mounds of reshop that they are instantly defeated. I say bring back the Recovery Team Lead. That would be the first step. A consistent presence giving consistent direction. The closing teams have so many different leadership styles and what is important to that particular leader. If a sltl is closing that will be the focus. Hltl, will make sure that his/her area is looking great. It is not out of selfishness but rather they know what their particular area should look like. The lack of a good zone, affects how it will be filled by flow, which affects how accurate the research is. Then the pulls that do generate are not stocked in a timely fashion due to lack of personnel to work it. If we were better staffed we will increase sales due to a fuller floor and better service. We would regain our reputation as clean stores, stocked shelves and friendly team. Our stores currently are messy during the majority of our open hours. Our shelves are empty due to lack of people working. And our team is not as friendly as they could be, because they are trying to meet unrealistic demands. Come on corporate visit us at 2 pm and 7pm unannounced and see what it is really like in the stores. We could be so much better than this.

I agree with so much of this. From 11pm until 10 am the stores look pretty well zoned, who cares?BUT during the day when we have the cash paying guests in the store we are shredded to pieces. The softlines reshop racks are packed full at the fitting room. Reshop bins are overflowing at the service desk. And there are pulls sitting on the line waiting to be worked because the few people who are actually scheduled are all on the checklanes. We have product waiting to be sold, waiting to be put on the floor. Then when you do have a closing crew come in they are hit with a store that looks like a disaster and mounds of reshop that they are instantly defeated. I say bring back the Recovery Team Lead. That would be the first step. A consistent presence giving consistent direction. The closing teams have so many different leadership styles and what is important to that particular leader. If a sltl is closing that will be the focus. Hltl, will make sure that his/her area is looking great. It is not out of selfishness but rather they know what their particular area should look like. The lack of a good zone, affects how it will be filled by flow, which affects how accurate the research is. Then the pulls that do generate are not stocked in a timely fashion due to lack of personnel to work it. If we were better staffed we will increase sales due to a fuller floor and better service. We would regain our reputation as clean stores, stocked shelves and friendly team. Our stores currently are messy during the majority of our open hours. Our shelves are empty due to lack of people working. And our team is not as friendly as they could be, because they are trying to meet unrealistic demands. Come on corporate visit us at 2 pm and 7pm unannounced and see what it is really like in the stores. We could be so much better than this.
i am so with you. but, as a hltl, i can out zone most tm's at night. but, i cant be too picky, because we are under staffed. i do make them try to beat me in zone & backup cashiering. there is hope. just say to them, "more sales, more hours, & more tm's". keep repeating that to them. some tm's were motivated by that, some i am still working on. dont give up.

At my store, the only TMs that are expected to stay after closing are closing cashiers. They used to be scheduled until 15 min after closing to get guests out and clean up the lanes, but that 15 min got snipped away.

This! Spot, are your ears on? Actually, visit my store any time of the day - we're non-stop busy even on Monday mornings!

I wish corporate would visit us during our normal operations. We had a corporate visit this morning and our STL put a halt on everyones work and made us fill endcaps that were about to be reset in an hour, and zone the first 8 feet of every aisle which should have been done the night prior. It sickens me as much as it pisses me off when I have to run around putting a fake plaster over the store. God forbid there be a few items missing from an endcap...I guess a proper running store never sells anything the shelves just stay full 24/7.

They never have us stay later then an hour past close. Well, maybe occasionally if ad take down is running slow. Working past schedule is something the store is measured on and your ETL HR/STL/DTL should be looking to that as to why your payroll is out of whack at the end of the month if you're in one of the stores where you're constantly being "kept past schedule." That in it of itself irks me. At the store I work at, they ask us if we'd like to stay later...for example, "Hey Softlines Owns My Soul, I see you're working 12 to 5, could you stay until close?" They try and guilt you into it, but I am by no means obligated, and everyone knows that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back