Being Proactive

Hi! So yesterday I was at work, and I was at Self-checkout. And like I said in my first thread, I was still uncomfortable and don't know what to do. My TL told me that we should be Proactive because it is one of the expectations there which I agree with him about that, but I'm a shy person. Is there any ways that I can get over my shyness since I work at retail and I should be proactive? Any tips from you guys will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

There’s no way around it. In retail, you have to be comfortable talking with guests. Take comfort in the fact you’ll most likely never see them again.

at my store, we don’t have that expectation at SCO (walk up to every guest) so I can’t speak to that, hopefully someone else can.

thanks for looping me in HLM, also going to add @REDcardJJ @Leo47

At my store we are expected to interact with guests. That doesn't mean starting up a full-blown conversation with them. 99% of the time I simply ask "Is everything going smooth?" If the answer is "Yes" I'll reply: "Awesome. " and move on.

If their answer is 'No' or 'Question for you' I'll ask what's up and help them with their issue. Sometimes while I'm assisting them, I'll take note of an item in their order and comment on it. That's usually how we get into a conversation.

We have SCO on sticker patrol. It’s easier to approach kids than adults most of the time. On top of distracting kids and letting the parents quickly scan their items you’ll have a birds eye view over the kids shoulders to monitor the screen. We’re cracking down on ticket switchers, not just clearance tags but full barcodes. If the guest doesn’t have kids try and find something they’re buying and talk about it like @StargazerOmega said.
Oh those towels are so soft and they wash so well!
I’ve been looking at cameras for a while now, have you bought that brand before?
Oh you have registry pages are you buying items off of it?
You found some great clothes, do you mind if i

Also try and make connections with your Teammates. Once you feel comfortable around them you’ll have a natural confidence boost. It isn’t easy to let others in and it’s even harder to accept that others have pulled us into their circle. But taking your teammates and turning them into your family will increase your confidence.

Take a breath. Take a chance. If it works celebrate it! If it sucks just try again. At every orientation I tell my new babies that there will be days that test them and those days we just fake it till we make it.

Also just remember that everyone that works in retail hates people.

just a simple “hello, and gesturing towards an available SCO” should be sufficient/bare minimum you should do..

I usually say hello, and ask them how they are. It seems like half of the time I am completely ignored so its whatever. For sco we usually just say hello, guide them to an available register and ask them to let us know If they need help with anything. Smile.

Just try to compliment one of the products they're buying. It helps customer satisfaction (you're complimenting them for making a good choice) and you know they're interested in the topic.

Thise strawberries look amazing. I've had my eye on that camera! My kid loves his Switch!

It doesn't have to be true, it just has to be a compliment.

I’m very similar to you, but for some odd reason I ended up really loving SCO. One thing I do is offer up a larger bag even if they might not need one... it helps me get a closer look at their screen/ what they have and generally gets either a yes or a friendly “no thank you.” If I see them with produce, I’ll be like “not sure if you’ve used SCO before, but you can go to grocery and select the item...” or if I know the PLU # I just offer that up. I just watch and try to offer them help before they ask and I use that as a way to interact.

Nothing overly outgoing or friendly, but it shows I’m trying and opens up the guest to more if they want.

I’m very similar to you, but for some odd reason I ended up really loving SCO. One thing I do is offer up a larger bag even if they might not need one... it helps me get a closer look at their screen/ what they have and generally gets either a yes or a friendly “no thank you.” If I see them with produce, I’ll be like “not sure if you’ve used SCO before, but you can go to grocery and select the item...” or if I know the PLU # I just offer that up. I just watch and try to offer them help before they ask and I use that as a way to interact.

Nothing overly outgoing or friendly, but it shows I’m trying and opens up the guest to more if they want.
My favorite trick: offer the hand scanner for larger items. Good tip for legit guests, scammers know I’m watching

Back