Archived Being Scheduled Outside of Pay Grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been with spot for three years now and I am a front end team member, cashier, gs, and some food ave. I can also do operator and softlines. I am one of the team members that can cover the gsa for their breaks. Which I am, I wouldn't say happy to do but I am willing to do it when asked. I don't enjoy watching the lanes as a whole and I am very resistant to the idea of being a gsa even though I have been told that I would be great at it. Do not want.

Anyway one of our gsa's quit and I know that they need someone to fill those shifts. And on the schedule two weeks out I am scheduled as opening gsa twice. I am upset about this because I was not asked if this was something I wanted to do and also because I don't feel I should be put in the position of authority without my express permission or the proper training or the pay that comes with it.

Being a gsa is not rocket science but I feel that if something were to go really wrong I would be held accountable. If I refuse the shift I am also basically saying goodbye to those hours unless I can find some shifts to pick up.

My question is, is it ok for your ETL to put you on the schedule as something other than you are without asking? Why is it ok for you to elevate yourself to watch the lanes for hours sometimes but it's ok for spot to downgrade you when it comes time for payment?

there is no temporary raise in pay for occasionally covering another position. They don't have to ask you, probably thought that you would be a good fit since you have covered breaks. And it's not really an authority position; except to the guest since you can help with situations. You can ask that they not put you on any more shifts for GSA, but if you are at all interested in being promoted to that position one day you should probably take the shifts.

if you are really feeling you don't want the hours, you can let whoever does your scheduling how you feel and that you are posting the shifts for others to pick up.

There's no downgrade (?)

I know there isn't and that's a problem for me. I feel like If I am going to do everything a gsa does then I should get paid what they get paid it's that simple.

I also feel that it's not the same as me covering a shift in another work center. I think of it like this, If there was a cashier shift on the swap board I could take that no problem but if there was a gsa shift up there I wouldn't be allowed because I'm not a gsa. Same thing with cashiers wanting to take gs shifts, you can only take shifts in the areas that you are trained to work in.

If I wanted to be a gsa I would be one. I can honestly say I don't ever want to be promoted up to gsa or gstl. I am going to talk to her about not scheduling me for gsa shifts in the future. I guess I just wanted to know how was I supposed to react to this? Was I supposed to just accept it or question it? It's a different work center as far as I am concerned and I don't like Target's policy of just putting you out there and seeing what happens.

Cross training and having you cover one a few shift per week is targets way of being a a$$&@!? And not having to give you more pay. It's great isn't??

As far as I know, you have to have at least %50 of your shift be GSA to get that pay, and even then it might have to be for a certain number of months in a row.... And even then you have to fight for it!!!

When I did half instocks and half backroom( in the same day, everyday) I had to argue to get backroom pay.

On the bright side, maybe you will like GSA more after a while and get a permanent spot and pay.

Good luck!

I know plenty of cashiers who would kill for an opening GSA shifts. That way if you do an amazing job and show enthusiasm for the job they might actually promote you to GSA. That's how our current GSA's got their positions. If you don't want to be a GSA- even a backfill one- then speak up. I'm sure there is another cashier who would love the opportunity.

Also, I believe backroomcrew is right. When you are at least 50% in a certain work center then you receive the paygrade along with the backpay. I had to wait until I was keyed in Instocks to receive my back pay.

If you do change your mind and decide to take the GSA shifts ask for some proper training from your GSTL and maybe a learning plan that way you wont feel uncomfortable working as a GSA.

its what target does to save a few $$$, here you have to have Atleast 50% of your hours in the work center to get that rate, we have had alot of people that work sales floor do backroom shifts but for the salesfloor paygrade. If you dont want the hours just tell em. Hell i do all kinds of different areas, few are over my paygrade buts its a way to pickup hours when your scheduled 20hours a week

I think I just needed to rant a little. I really just hate being gsa, my gstl's know this but I can't help but do a good job when I'm asked to cover it. I'm flattered that they trust me but I won't be looking to be promoted to gsa any time soon, if ever. I think it's a thankless job and in the three years I have worked at target my opinion of that has yet to change. I know my fellow gsa shift covers agree with me about that. That's how it is at our store anyway.

It's not like I haven't thought about it but the things I dislike about the position far outweigh any perks I would receive if I actually went for the position. I will work the shifts because the schedule is already set in stone as it were and there is no guarantee I can get those hours back if I don't. I will probably ask not to be scheduled in this way again in the future. I have been asked permission in the past and I would like her to continue to honor that. Like you guys say there are people who don't mind being acting gsa and if they want to do it more power to them.

Apply for the GSA position if it should open up. It may not be the biggest pay raise from cashier but it is a 40 hours every week position (like a TL). Work the shifts.

It may not be the biggest pay raise from cashier but it is a 40 hours every week position (like a TL).

GSA is NOT a 40 hour every week position like TLs. Even some TLs are not 40 hours/week. Both of these are store dependant. GSA was never meant to be a 40 hour/week job but I do understand that it does happen.

Yeah the GSAs at my store get anywhere from 20-35 hours depending on if we need extra coverage during the day or if a GSTL is getting time off or something like that.

I don't think I've ever seen someone so opposed to potential for promotion... You do know that promotions are a GOOD thing right? So what if you have to work a few shifts in that position and not get the pay for it right away? Eventually you can/will get promoted and BAM you get the pay, and then you continue to work up the ladder and get paid more, and more, and more... Kids these days I swear... Its like no one wants to freaking work anymore!

I was a manager for 4 years in a place that was like a combination of a really big Cici's pizza buffet mixed with an arcade the size of two Home Depot. buildings. I worked 6 months before I was a manager and 4 of those 6 months I did very manager like work. I didn't mind it because I knew in the end doing all that extra work would pay off and boy did it! I was making 45k a year at age 18...

Bottom line is, you bust your ass you get paid well. Stop complaining about having to have a little bit of "extra responsibility" (which is a joke as far as GSA goes) and suck it up, do the work, earn your promotion. Or just frig off, tell your ETL you NEVER want to go anywhere in your job/life and continue biding your time as a cashier. Wont make any difference to them, they'll just find someone else with some drive and motivation to do it.

Thats my $0.02..

Promotion from Sales Floor TM to GSA is only $.50 in most stores. It's not a super duper payraise, but it's better than nothing. Tell your GSTL/ETL that you're not too comfortable with it. But, you should do your best to make it through those two shifts. If you don't like it, tell them! If you change your mind, well there ya go!

I have been with spot for three years now and I am a front end team member, cashier, gs, and some food ave. I can also do operator and softlines. I am one of the team members that can cover the gsa for their breaks. Which I am, I wouldn't say happy to do but I am willing to do it when asked. I don't enjoy watching the lanes as a whole and I am very resistant to the idea of being a gsa even though I have been told that I would be great at it. Do not want.

Anyway one of our gsa's quit and I know that they need someone to fill those shifts. And on the schedule two weeks out I am scheduled as opening gsa twice. I am upset about this because I was not asked if this was something I wanted to do and also because I don't feel I should be put in the position of authority without my express permission or the proper training or the pay that comes with it.

Being a gsa is not rocket science but I feel that if something were to go really wrong I would be held accountable. If I refuse the shift I am also basically saying goodbye to those hours unless I can find some shifts to pick up.

My question is, is it ok for your ETL to put you on the schedule as something other than you are without asking? Why is it ok for you to elevate yourself to watch the lanes for hours sometimes but it's ok for spot to downgrade you when it comes time for payment?

You stand near the checklanes. You tell people to go to breaks. If there's backup, call for it. If there's a guest issue that you can resolve, do it. If not, call LOD. For the most part, it's pretty easy. Better than being a cashier and food ave tm.

IMO, an employee should receive equal pay for equal work. I don't care what your "normal" workstation is. If you are working in an area that pays more, you should get the same pay as everyone else that is doing the same job. Another aspect of this is that is not possible to get an accurate picture of how many hours are actually spent in a workcenter when tm's are routinely asked to do another job without changing workcenters.

At a time when many TMs would KILL to get hrs, this shouldn't be a big sacrifice. Your leadership may also want to see how you perform to determine where else you might do well (think 'grooming').
If you're not planning to stay at Target much longer, decline it. Otherwise, you'll be seen as not wanting to advance & it will more than likely impact your hrs.
Ultimately, your ETL can schedule you where & when you're needed according to the store's needs. To demand they cut you from filling in, you risk coming off as a non-teamplayer & a bit of a diva.

Like others said it's pretty easy... you don't have to worry about half the things a real gsa does anyway. You just put people in the shortest lines, call backups, send people on break and resolve guest issues.

Like others said it's pretty easy... you don't have to worry about half the things a real gsa does anyway. You just put people in the shortest lines, call backups, send people on break and resolve guest issues.

I completely agree, it's easy and could end up in a raise eventually..... BUT, personally I would rather poke out my eye then be stuck there in front of the lanes for 8 hours, so I understand not wanting it.

It's like when I know I SHOULD pick up a shift on my day off for the easy money BUT man, I just don't want to!! Being a responsible adult stinks.

GSA is NOT a 40 hour every week position like TLs. Even some TLs are not 40 hours/week. Both of these are store dependant. GSA was never meant to be a 40 hour/week job but I do understand that it does happen.

At my store, 2 of our 5 GSAs get 40 hours. They each close as GSA once a week and have regular shifts at Guest Service and 239. Our other GSAs have weird schedules because they work in multiple workcenters.

I was a cart attendant at one of my stores and on the holidays I would be thrown into Market (with no training) to help them out on large food deliveries.

Welcome to Target...if they know you helped or good with something before they will exploit it and make you fill the entire shift with only your regular pay.

In most cases the job they have you fill is a lot more enjoyable... market instead of carts? I know many who'd jump at that... let alone speedweaving instead of cashiering

I don't think I've ever seen someone so opposed to potential for promotion... You do know that promotions are a GOOD thing right? So what if you have to work a few shifts in that position and not get the pay for it right away? Eventually you can/will get promoted and BAM you get the pay, and then you continue to work up the ladder and get paid more, and more, and more... Kids these days I swear... Its like no one wants to freaking work anymore!

I was a manager for 4 years in a place that was like a combination of a really big Cici's pizza buffet mixed with an arcade the size of two Home Depot. buildings. I worked 6 months before I was a manager and 4 of those 6 months I did very manager like work. I didn't mind it because I knew in the end doing all that extra work would pay off and boy did it! I was making 45k a year at age 18...

Bottom line is, you bust your ass you get paid well. Stop complaining about having to have a little bit of "extra responsibility" (which is a joke as far as GSA goes) and suck it up, do the work, earn your promotion. Or just frig off, tell your ETL you NEVER want to go anywhere in your job/life and continue biding your time as a cashier. Wont make any difference to them, they'll just find someone else with some drive and motivation to do it.

Thats my $0.02..

GSA is a pseudo promotion. "Acting Team Leader" is what the title should be. GSA's are expected to do all the work and have the same expectations as the GSTL's for not even close to the same pay. Team members know that GSA's can not have performance discussions, corrective actions, and have no control over reviews. Although the ETL's treat the GSA's as supervisors. It is clear when one applies for the job that the GSA position is NOT listed under supervisor. Target bold face lies in reference to the job descriptions.

Team members know that GSA's can not have performance discussions, corrective actions, and have no control over reviews.

Eh, that's not even remotely accurate IMO.

Can GSA's do those things? Nope. Not formally anyway, performance discussions are actually not frowned upon at my store, but they wouldn't be documented, or lead to a CA, they'd just essentially boil down to being additional training to fix an issue.

But, the reason I disagree and don't think your post is accurate, is I do not by any means think most cashiers are aware of the differences between GSA/GSTL, from their perspective they're largely the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back