Bench advice

In my store, there's two steps. You're in the "pipeline" if a TL or ETL is developing you to go to TL interviews. You're "on the bench" when you've passed TL interviews on the Day where a bunch of TMs come interview with one or two STLs and the DTL. Then how long you're on the bench is determined by how quickly a position opens up in the district or in your store. Depending on the store, if you want to stay at your current store it could be a while.

I have a question, do all benched TLs eventually get promoted to some kind of a TL position? Have you ever seen anybody "come off the bench" without getting promoted?

also, does anybody know anything about the interview process changing to just being an interview with your STL and then the HRBP? or do you still have to interview with the DTL?

any advice/information would be greatly appreciated

People around here have removed themselves from the bench after waiting for years, because their own personal stipulations were unrealistic. And it's still with the DTL in my area.

No, not everyone on the bench will get a position. I have never heard of being removed from the bench by spot, but I have seen individuals remove themselves. I have seen someone who was going to be placed on the bench (alledgedly, his words) but received a coaching that day making him ineligible. I felt bad for him, he received a coaching for hiding equipment by a TL who does that all the time. But rules is rules

Our recent hires have all had to interview with DTL, but this may vary by district. These recent hires also were not prmoted within (obviously) so they may have had an extra hoop to jump through.

In my area you do have to interview with the DTL also.... As for the bench it's so weird to me because it's not like a line they pick who they want to do the particular job. However according to my STL once you're on the bench you're on it unless you make the choice to come off.

do most internals stay on the bench a long time? or do they usually have something in mind when they put people on it? or does this totally vary store to store?

I think their intention is to eventually replace my current TL with me when she hits her 18months. she's told me she'd like to move on to another assignment for the experience and the exposure. Is this a fairly common occurrence? I can't say I've seen this happen too many times before... I've only seen two or three other internal promotions, and when they were on the bench they either had like an informal leadership role, or their time on the bench was very short.

A currently benched TM has a recent no-show. So once the STL is back from vacation, they'll likely fall off the bench.

It all depends on the team member talent and the position Target is trying to fill. For example, let's use a scale of 0-100, with 100 being an All-Star team member. For example, the team member can score between 0-20 for longitivty he/she has been at Target, 0-20 for having a degree, 0-20 for work ethics,etc. If you are put on the bench with a score of 65 and there's someone else on the bench whose score is 80, who do you think Target will choose when a position opens up. Keep in mind no scoring system like this exists, it's just a system that helps illustrates Target's business needs.

I known someone who was on the bench for as little as 4 months and became a TL. He was hired on as a seasonal team member but the store leaders liked him so much that they fast track him in to a TL position. Though, he also has a degree.

There seems to be some misconceptions in this thread about what the TL bench is. Someone can be on the bench for one day and get a TL position. It's not a development bench, it's a "This TM has already passed Interviews and is waiting for the right position" bench.

There many reasons a person can be on the bench and not ever take a TL position. Maybe they only want to work at their current store, and no new TL positions open up. Or maybe they decide they don't want to become a leader, and voluntarily leave the bench. Or maybe they are put on disciplinary action and are removed from the bench.

There are also TL positions that a person on the bench is not guaranteed to get. When I transferred out of my last store there was one TM who had been on the TL bench for a while. He interviewed for my position (APTL), but didn't get it. Yes he had already passed regular TL interviews, but he had never been able to pass the AP interviews before. Obviously he didn't succeed this time either.

I don't think anyone was confused..

I see a couple inaccurate or misleading comments posted in this thread. I see a lot of misinformation on this forum, occasionally I feel like speaking up about it. It's not the end of the world though :)

Got one of my gsa on the bench should be getting a position soon just depends on needs of the district really

The bench in my current store has nearly every time been a failed concept. We have had as many as three Team Members "on the bench" at a time, only to have each one never get promoted and eventually no longer be on the path to being a Team Lead.

Of the last nine open Team Lead positions four of five have gone to Team Members hand picked by an ETL who had never previously been in any sort of development plan, nearly every time passing up at least a couple Team Members who were currently on the bench. Other times they have left a Team Lead position open despite benched Team Members for weeks or even months at a time. I think that our Team Lead turnover is a good indicator that our style of promotion isn't working.

I recently finished my TL bench interviews. I was interviewed by an ETL, the STL, and the DTL. I was approached for the bench position, but I'm not sure the promotion will ever happen since all the TL's at my store have been there for many years.

I recently finished my TL bench interviews. I was interviewed by an ETL, the STL, and the DTL. I was approached for the bench position, but I'm not sure the promotion will ever happen since all the TL's at my store have been there for many years.
If you want a promotion and don't bother leaving the store there are always openings popping up in the district you just have to pay attention to the careers page. That's how I did it, checked once or twice a week. Personally I wouldn't want to be promoted within my own store, I think it would cause problems; some people may not take you seriously or want some wiggle room; more so than if you were at a brand new store.

Just my own personal thought though. *I've been on the bench since April; I have already gone through 1 set of interviews with another store, currently waiting on their STL to call me for my other set*

Usually just some newer people on the bench that don't know a position rarely opens up (and when it does its the crappiest TL position). Most cases they're not long term employees so they leave Target before getting promoted off the 'bench'

Last edited:
If you want a promotion and don't bother leaving the store there are always openings popping up in the district you just have to pay attention to the careers page. That's how I did it, checked once or twice a week. Personally I wouldn't want to be promoted within my own store, I think it would cause problems; some people may not take you seriously or want some wiggle room; more so than if you were at a brand new store.

Just my own personal thought though. *I've been on the bench since April; I have already gone through 1 set of interviews with another store, currently waiting on their STL to call me for my other set*
The closest store in my district is an hour and a half away. I'd definitely be getting promoted within my current store.

Only way I can see you being taken off the bench is if you hit a Final CA, like for NCNS or meal violations or did something that put you in insta-CA

Haha, that's me. I've been on the bench for a year now. My ETL keeps telling me about the HR Sr TL position, but I wonder if they'd ever go from TM to Sr in one jump, considering the LOD aspect that would entail. I haven't seen it happen in my district at any rate, but I'll still try for it anyway, I've got a lot of experience.

Back