Bench advice

sprinklesontop

Expert Retail Whore
Currently there are two team members (myself included) on the team leader bench at my store, with one more heavily in the pipeline.

Late last week a team leader position for logistics got posted on the hiring board and neither of us have heard anything either way about it.

I have a weird feeling they are looking around externally for the position to be filled. Anyone ever have a similar situation at their stores?
You have to also take into consideration that other stores in your District may have candidates on the bench longer; and that are more qualified for the positions available. External ( outside the Company ) candidates aren't your only competition for a position.

Truly, just my OWN opinion....I'm a proponent of promotions/transfers going hand-in-hand. I think it helps you, as the promotee, become better, stronger with different Leadership; in a different setting. You can "start" your new role strictly as a Leader...... not as a "former" TM. You see things differently from store-to-store. You can implement your ideas and plans at your new store; something that's harder to do at your current store.

busyzoningtoys

Closing Lead
You have to also take into consideration that other stores in your District may have candidates on the bench longer; and that are more qualified for the positions available. External ( outside the Company ) candidates aren't your only competition for a position.

Truly, just my OWN opinion....I'm a proponent of promotions/transfers going hand-in-hand. I think it helps you, as the promotee, become better, stronger with different Leadership; in a different setting. You can "start" your new role strictly as a Leader...... not as a "former" TM. You see things differently from store-to-store. You can implement your ideas and plans at your new store; something that's harder to do at your current store.
In my store, people on the bench from other stores in the district and outside applicants aren’t even looked at or considered unless there is not any pipeline/bench at our store who has been considered. At least in our district, as recently as last Q4, the DTL no longer had any involvement in the process of someone moving from TM to TL. Filling TL positions is completely at the discretion of the STL and ETL HR.

I think it’s better that way, why should store A trust store B’s judgement regarding their bench/pipeline before considering their own candidate lol. It’s good for the team and for unity/morale for them to see one of their own move up, they know their leader has been in their shoes, and that leader is proof that a team member’s hard work can pay off.

Fix It

If I were dumber I’d be a plumber.
We had a benched TM who got a recent TL position and after the announcement another TM who’s never shown any interest in advancing made a stink that the position wasn’t posted at all so maybe it’s just a formality until a decision is made. Just bring it up with HR or your LOG that you’re interested.

I was just asked if I wanted to be in the bench for upcoming team lead position! What should I expect? Any tips for interview? I Don't know for what department yet!

rog the dog

TV Wall Guy
You should expect to wait.

Also get in touch with an ETL / Leader you like and/or likes you they'll literally give you the interview questions.