Bench advice

Currently there are two team members (myself included) on the team leader bench at my store, with one more heavily in the pipeline.

Late last week a team leader position for logistics got posted on the hiring board and neither of us have heard anything either way about it.

I have a weird feeling they are looking around externally for the position to be filled. Anyone ever have a similar situation at their stores?

You have to also take into consideration that other stores in your District may have candidates on the bench longer; and that are more qualified for the positions available. External ( outside the Company ) candidates aren't your only competition for a position.

Truly, just my OWN opinion....I'm a proponent of promotions/transfers going hand-in-hand. I think it helps you, as the promotee, become better, stronger with different Leadership; in a different setting. You can "start" your new role strictly as a Leader...... not as a "former" TM. You see things differently from store-to-store. You can implement your ideas and plans at your new store; something that's harder to do at your current store.

You have to also take into consideration that other stores in your District may have candidates on the bench longer; and that are more qualified for the positions available. External ( outside the Company ) candidates aren't your only competition for a position.

Truly, just my OWN opinion....I'm a proponent of promotions/transfers going hand-in-hand. I think it helps you, as the promotee, become better, stronger with different Leadership; in a different setting. You can "start" your new role strictly as a Leader...... not as a "former" TM. You see things differently from store-to-store. You can implement your ideas and plans at your new store; something that's harder to do at your current store.
In my store, people on the bench from other stores in the district and outside applicants aren’t even looked at or considered unless there is not any pipeline/bench at our store who has been considered. At least in our district, as recently as last Q4, the DTL no longer had any involvement in the process of someone moving from TM to TL. Filling TL positions is completely at the discretion of the STL and ETL HR.

I think it’s better that way, why should store A trust store B’s judgement regarding their bench/pipeline before considering their own candidate lol. It’s good for the team and for unity/morale for them to see one of their own move up, they know their leader has been in their shoes, and that leader is proof that a team member’s hard work can pay off.

We had a benched TM who got a recent TL position and after the announcement another TM who’s never shown any interest in advancing made a stink that the position wasn’t posted at all so maybe it’s just a formality until a decision is made. Just bring it up with HR or your LOG that you’re interested.

I was just asked if I wanted to be in the bench for upcoming team lead position! What should I expect? Any tips for interview? I Don't know for what department yet!

You should expect to wait.

Also get in touch with an ETL / Leader you like and/or likes you they'll literally give you the interview questions.

So back in July I was approached by my ETL if I wanted to work on development into a TL for the future, well I've been doing the best I can and have gone out of my comfort zone a lot since we had that conversation. Recently I was appointed a DBO role for housewares and my new SD said that the best development I could have would come with running my area. So now that I'm in the pipeline (which I just learned is what you called people before the bench) does anyone have suggestions of how to help put myself out there to get more notoriety and experience for a interview or tips of how to be a better DBO. Everywhere I see people always gripe about having more work to do and how DBO's are so miserable but I truly like it, I love working and even if I don't/can't become a lead I'm still just trying to make my store as best as possible because I love my store.

I hope someone can help me, thank you guys!

(this might be reposted on other subs because I really am looking for as many answers as possible)

So back in July I was approached by my ETL if I wanted to work on development into a TL for the future, well I've been doing the best I can and have gone out of my comfort zone a lot since we had that conversation. Recently I was appointed a DBO role for housewares and my new SD said that the best development I could have would come with running my area. So now that I'm in the pipeline (which I just learned is what you called people before the bench) does anyone have suggestions of how to help put myself out there to get more notoriety and experience for a interview or tips of how to be a better DBO. Everywhere I see people always gripe about having more work to do and how DBO's are so miserable but I truly like it, I love working and even if I don't/can't become a lead I'm still just trying to make my store as best as possible because I love my store.

I hope someone can help me, thank you guys!

(this might be reposted on other subs because I really am looking for as many answers as possible)

Well you have the right attitude, and sticking with that is half the battle. You'll feel a little discouraged at some points when it may feel like it's going nowhere.

The other half is owning and leading your area. Aside from making sure you complete your push for the day, take time to know what's going on in your department. Check the set workload tool for any upcoming SPLs, Revisions, or POGs and be proactive about completing them without being directed. Also take time to EXF (or audit if your store allows it, ASANTS on that one) your outs frequently. At the end of the day, your department should look full and guest ready. At the end of the week, you shouldn't have any pending sets.

The leadership part can come in by partnering with your TL or ETL on what needs to be done in your department on your days off, what needs special attention, etc.

All in all use this as a guideline but realize your store leadership will be very transparent with what they expect from their leads if you ask them. Asking to have a sitdown with your ETL to talk about this kind of thing for a little bit is 100% something you can and should do. Considering he/she already approached you about it it shouldn't be uncomfortable.

So I believe I’m on the bench but I’ve been told I need to “ own “ my department but I work In the frontend so I feel like there’s not really much to do besides what I’m already doing. Anytime I’m in the building I run the floor I make sure everything running smoothly and everyone pretty much comes to me for everything and 99.9% of the time if I’m asked a question about the front I know the answer. I’ve started to do Tm check ins and I also try helping in different departments but Idk what else

Just keep asking for feedback, and asking for more responsibility. Being on the bench is basically like doing all the day to day team lead tasks for team member money without really having to do all the paperwork. Ask a team lead to be your mentor. Hopefully you don't sit on the bench too long in can be a struggle to actually move up.

So I believe I’m on the bench but I’ve been told I need to “ own “ my department but I work In the frontend so I feel like there’s not really much to do besides what I’m already doing. Anytime I’m in the building I run the floor I make sure everything running smoothly and everyone pretty much comes to me for everything and 99.9% of the time if I’m asked a question about the front I know the answer. I’ve started to do Tm check ins and I also try helping in different departments but Idk what else

What are you personally doing for red card goals?

My store no longer pushes for red cards, we always meet the goal with out doing so. So it’s not stressed. I did create something for all the newer hires so they can understand target circle

So recently I have been told that they would like me to ride the pine on the TL Bench.

My only opportunity was that they would like me to take on a more "Leadership role". This however, frustrates me. I am a PA in market in an AA Volume store, who a few months ago had his partner PA and CTL both quit, literally the same day, this came 6 months after they both asked me to become a PA. This left me as the only person to "Run" Market for a month, until we got a new 2nd PA and a CTL (If you can call him that, I also had to train both our new PA as well as the new CTL, and since having everyone quit I have helped get us two 95 Steritech visits.

Since then, and with the CTL's new expanded role, I have pretty much become the new "CTL" of old. When Vendor's or TMs have any questions or concerns. They almost always come to me, before anyone

What worries me is that my hard work is seemingly Invisible to my leadership. I have and never will be the most talkative at huddles, but I don't believe a leader has to be the loudest in the room, but the most observant as well as the most able.

My question is, how do I make my leadership in market (a place I believe my ETL's almost actively avoid), more obvious, without making myself feel like the talking head of a puppet.

With an abundance of stories from the past few months I definitely will be able to put together one hell of an interview, however.
I'm older and thus can look back at my life and what I could have done differently.

My advice to you is to NOT be quiet about your accomplishments, quests, and resolutions. If the spirit is inside of you and the drive and ferver present make it known!

My little dog comes up to me when she wants tummy tickles and she makes me very much aware of it. If she were hiding over in the corner or in her little house thinking to herself, "gee I'd really like some tummy tickles" , how would I know about that?

You can never take back the moment so EMBRACE it! EMBRACE every opportunity that you have but check yourself to make sure that you don't become abrasive.

I'm wishing you very much good results (not luck... the results you earn!)

I wish I knew the answer to that question. My CTL had promised me for months to get me on the bench and no matter how much I pestered it never happened. But yet 2 others in the store were put on the bench on the same day. I worked my ass off day in and day out and got zero recognition. Meanwhile I would see people who regularly slacked off getting all sorts of recognition. It was one of the main reasons I left.
Team leads cannot do anything to get you promoted. It is up to the store director only. Can’t stand reading tl making these promises. They have NO say or power in promotions.

I'm allegedly "pre-bench", which means if I had a better attitude and walkie etiquette then I would stand a chance of being benched.
You don’t get benched until they send you to the dsd for tl interviews and you’ve been signed off to promote. You are on the bench if you passed interviews but there aren’t any current tl openings.

My advice don't do it. Unless you have in writing that in a certain period of time they will promote you. At our store 3 different employees in the last couple of years had been promised TL positions only for them to go to other people. Plus with as much as the leadership moves around any guarantee only goes as far as that leader if they are actually telling the truth. If leadership asks you to expand your role then as them to expand your official job.

My advice don't do it. Unless you have in writing that in a certain period of time they will promote you. At our store 3 different employees in the last couple of years had been promised TL positions only for them to go to other people. Plus with as much as the leadership moves around any guarantee only goes as far as that leader if they are actually telling the truth. If leadership asks you to expand your role then as them to expand your official job.
I have said this numerous times but you need to get something in writing for what TL OPENING they want you for and a a start day.

I come from the perspective that Target could never get an outside hire to join without that.

Back