Archived Bench Team Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitterBerries

Can you go to 4?
So I've been asked by basically everyone from team lead up to STL to train to be a team lead. They said you take some tests and they give you a project but that I'd be a "bench" TL and then apply. No one really has gone into specifics with it so i am kind of confused.. I know you don't get the TL pay until you are one but what types of projects and training do they have you do? And then what happens when there is an open position you apply and go from there? Thanks!

From my understanding, being a "benched" TL means you went through the TL interviews, passed them, then you go on what is called the "bench" and wait for a TL position to open up in your store or another store within your district and they move you there. During the prepping process you'll go through interview preparation and be given different tasks to complete, maybe even the task of directing your team.

I was being prepped for the TL bench in March. I was told they wanted to see me take ownership in an area. I became a brand team member. They gave me zone leader responsibilities during closing shifts. One day the STL tells me since we were moving up in the org board, I was moving through the TL process quicker. After my interviews, I made TL. They had no one on the bench. Thowe who were put on the bench were made to go through the interview process as well. They are given more responsibilty as well as mentoring. However I am sure ASANTS applies here.

Cool thanks! That's a lot more info than i got at my store. It was usually just "thought about being a tl? we can train you and then you do a project and wait for an opening". Pretty vague lol

When I was a TM prepping for TL, I was entrusted by my ETL to basically run Electronics since my TL at the time was on an LOA. I came up with routines of how I worked and how I did thing to manage time better. I took ownership in Decode and PTM opportunities and ensuring we had less clearance when it came to that time frame. Just take on little by little at a time. Also for me a big opportunity was being able to communicate not only with my team but with the store as a TL. At first my coworkers weren't to fond of the idea of me telling them what to do and how to do things, but my ETL had my back to ensure they knew I was prepping and would take over one day. Definitely helped me. Good Luck :)

I don't understand why you have to go through the interview process? I mean if you are already working there and have obviously proven yourself as being able to be a TL with probably Etl and Stl ok's, why is Interview prep and interviews needed? I think you should just be promoted.

When I used to be in SL we had one girl who was "on the bench" but the ETL didn't communicate this to anyone but her. We were all immeasurably pissed when she rearranged the returns closet without warning and she quit soon after... I have no idea why she didn't tell us what was going on or ask us for help/input.
So a word of caution, make sure your ETL has your back before you start a project and communicate with your fellow TMs.

When I was a TM prepping for TL, I was entrusted by my ETL to basically run Electronics since my TL at the time was on an LOA. I came up with routines of how I worked and how I did thing to manage time better. I took ownership in Decode and PTM opportunities and ensuring we had less clearance when it came to that time frame. Just take on little by little at a time. Also for me a big opportunity was being able to communicate not only with my team but with the store as a TL. At first my coworkers weren't to fond of the idea of me telling them what to do and how to do things, but my ETL had my back to ensure they knew I was prepping and would take over one day. Definitely helped me. Good Luck :)

Yeah that kind of worries me, how my coworkers would feel if i was all of a sudden "above" them.

When I used to be in SL we had one girl who was "on the bench" but the ETL didn't communicate this to anyone but her. We were all immeasurably pissed when she rearranged the returns closet without warning and she quit soon after... I have no idea why she didn't tell us what was going on or ask us for help/input.
So a word of caution, make sure your ETL has your back before you start a project and communicate with your fellow TMs.

Yikes!! Good thinking.

If your TL and ETL have your back, and communicate to the team that you are being prepped to become the next TL, you will be fine. Don't be discouraged and just go in with confidence. You already know the job and how Target works so you have a big advantage already.

So I've been asked by basically everyone from team lead up to STL to train to be a team lead. They said you take some tests and they give you a project but that I'd be a "bench" TL and then apply. No one really has gone into specifics with it so i am kind of confused.. I know you don't get the TL pay until you are one but what types of projects and training do they have you do? And then what happens when there is an open position you apply and go from there? Thanks!
From what it sounds like they're telling you, they want to take advantage of you while you're a tm. In order to become a tl, you have to interview with an etl, stl, then DTL. Then you are signed off, you don't technically have to do anymore work than you are originally made to do. They might be trying to take advantage off you, while dangling a little carrot in front of you. Trust me, the same carrot is in front of me

From what it sounds like they're telling you, they want to take advantage of you while you're a tm. In order to become a tl, you have to interview with an etl, stl, then DTL. Then you are signed off, you don't technically have to do anymore work than you are originally made to do. They might be trying to take advantage off you, while dangling a little carrot in front of you. Trust me, the same carrot is in front of me
No, it sounds like they want to promote @GlitterBerries, and they want to give her more responsiblities to see if she can handle the heat before they send her to assessments (the "tests" her leaders told her about.) Once all that is passed and cleared, she can apply for a TL position. Doesn't sound like there is any carrot dangling going on here.

No, it sounds like they want to promote @GlitterBerries, and they want to give her more responsiblities to see if she can handle the heat before they send her to assessments (the "tests" her leaders told her about.) Once all that is passed and cleared, she can apply for a TL position. Doesn't sound like there is any carrot dangling going on here.

Sounds like the Kool Aid way of saying what @instockout said. If they are impressed with her abilities, work ethic and attendance as he/she has already demonstrated, I don't understand the need for her to take on other tasks above her curent job description and pay grade. It's like getting the milk without buying the cow. I realize that Target isn't the only employer to do this, but it's really unfair to the employee!

Sounds like the Kool Aid way of saying what @instockout said. If they are impressed with her abilities, work ethic and attendance as he/she has already demonstrated, I don't understand the need for her to take on other tasks above her curent job description and pay grade. It's like getting the milk without buying the cow. I realize that Target isn't the only employer to do this, but it's really unfair to the employee!
Because you're basically hiring someone with 0 leadership experience to be your leader. When we hire externally we hire from experience or education. An internal with no experience outside of normal team member duties needs to have their abilities tested. Lots of people have a great work ethic and attendance. But most of them are more useful as team members, rather than leaders. Most people just don't have the aptitude for it.

Because you're basically hiring someone with 0 leadership experience to be your leader. When we hire externally we hire from experience or education. An internal with no experience outside of normal team member duties needs to have their abilities tested. Lots of people have a great work ethic and attendance. But most of them are more useful as team members, rather than leaders. Most people just don't have the aptitude for it.

And just look at the quality of ETLs Target hires!

Obviously they see some leadership ability in him/her, or why plant the seed of becoming a TL. A skilled manager should be able to not only spot leadership qualities, but also foster those skills in their employees. Foster those skills without taking advantage of the employee by not paying them for the work that they do.

Obviously they see some leadership ability in him/her, or why plant the seed of becoming a TL. A skilled manager should be able to not only spot leadership qualities, but also foster those skills in their employees. Foster those skills without taking advantage of the employee by not paying them for the work that they do.
Having them take on other tasks that most TMs don't typically do is not what I see as taking advantage of them. The two TMs I'm developing do tasks within their core roles but I have them go into greater detail. I empower them to make decisions for the benefit of the business and the team and they run the work center when I'm not there. Having them do different tasks for them to develop their leadership abilities is beneficial for them wherever they go and I am confident that when they need to fall back on experience to answer interview questions, they will have plenty to choose from.

It's not taking advantage of the empolyee. You don't get an outstanding review without going above and beyond. You especially don't get promoted without going above and beyond.

It's not taking advantage of the empolyee. You don't get an outstanding review without going above and beyond. You especially don't get promoted without going above and beyond.

Exactly how much above and beyond is worth a whopping .15/hr more? It is taking advantage if an employee.

Having them take on other tasks that most TMs don't typically do is not what I see as taking advantage of them. The two TMs I'm developing do tasks within their core roles but I have them go into greater detail. I empower them to make decisions for the benefit of the business and the team and they run the work center when I'm not there. Having them do different tasks for them to develop their leadership abilities is beneficial for them wherever they go and I am confident that when they need to fall back on experience to answer interview questions, they will have plenty to choose from.

Well, you can look at it that way and make it seem like it's all in the employee's benefit. However, it's shifting a manager's duties to their staff who aren't paid to do that.

Exactly how much above and beyond is worth a whopping .15/hr more? It is taking advantage if an employee.
It's not taking advantage of them. TMs and anyone wanting to do more always want to learn more tasks or responsibilities. You don't need to stay with Target, but learning other tasks gives you valuable job experience. What you see as taking advantage is seen as other wise to a hiring manager somewhere else or within their own company.

Well, you can look at it that way and make it seem like it's all in the employee's benefit. However, it's shifting a manager's duties to their staff who aren't paid to do that.
Technically it's the STL's responsibility to make the store profitable, since it's ultimately their responsibility, maybe we should all go home since we aren't paid to do their job.

Technically it's the STL's responsibility to make the store profitable, since it's ultimately their responsibility, maybe we should all go home since we aren't paid to do their job.

Well, if you want you can go home.

The employees only need to do the job that they are/were hired to do, and do it well enough to keep their job.Or, go above and beyond if they want that extra 15 cents an hour . Certainly, any of the manager's worries as far as store operations, management, profitability are those of the management staff, and the management staff only.

I go in and do my job, and do it well, but I certainly don't worry about profitability.

Obviously, the 15 cents is not the goal. The goal is the extra $2-4 that comes from being a TL. Not everyone has a desire to get better, I get that. My point is that the job market is always going to be competative, and if you aren't willing to compete then stop complaining when others win.

Well, if you want you can go home.

The employees only need to do the job that they are/were hired to do, and do it well enough to keep their job.Or, go above and beyond if they want that extra 15 cents an hour . Certainly, any of the manager's worries as far as store operations, management, profitability are those of the management staff, and the management staff only.

I go in and do my job, and do it well, but I certainly don't worry about profitability.
I don't think you understand that at as a team member at Target, you were hired to do basically everything other than coach, develop and schedule team members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back