Archived Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFN

I have a couple of questions about "best practice" because at my store I've heard conflicting information about what is best practice for something.

1) How do you know what is "best practice"? Is there a way for me to find out what is considered best practice for something?

2) Does best practice = company policy? Is it the same as all the rules in the employee handbook?

I'm confused :(.

I have a couple of questions about "best practice" because at my store I've heard conflicting information about what is best practice for something.

1) How do you know what is "best practice"? Is there a way for me to find out what is considered best practice for something?

2) Does best practice = company policy? Is it the same as all the rules in the employee handbook?

I'm confused :(.

Best Practice is best summed up, in my opinion, as Target's preferred way of dealing with a situation. Usually you can find information on Workbench.

Generally speaking, best practice isn't nessecarily a rule, more so a strongly suggested method of dealing with something. I know that's kind of redundant, but that's the best way I can think to describe it.

Also, you will find that each Executive will have favorite Best Practices they will follow to a t, while completely ignoring and blowing off others. The ones they ignore and blow-off completely will be the ones in your work center.

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if best practice ever goes against the rules in the handbook.

You can find all best practices on WB, top left corner, just dig into the processes. The handbook is more of a global book of rules and best practices are step-by-step guides on how to do everything necessary to perform your job.

Also, you will find that each Executive will have favorite Best Practices they will follow to a t, while completely ignoring and blowing off others. The ones they ignore and blow-off completely will be the ones in your work center.

This is what had me so confused. Different people saying different things and claiming it's best practice.

This is what had me so confused. Different people saying different things and claiming it's best practice.
A lot of people like to claim they know the best practice to sound important, when, in reality, they have no idea what they are talking about. They are all explained throughly on WorkBench if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks everyone! Don't know what I would do without this site.

So according to this air head gstl in my store best practice has nothing to do with SCO and she has the final say and that she will use the person who is supposed to watch SCO and put them on register for their entire shift. Best part is as she is saying this our DTL and all business partners were standing behind her. The DTL asked me to watch the lanes for a little bit while they had a status. 30mins later gstl is walking out the front door. Followed by the STL asking me to go to 3
STL: I know you're pfresh now but we will need you to cover the front end until close
Me: sure, what about my batches, zone and reshop
STL: don't worry about it tonight. I'll email the opener for tomorrow
Me: you do know the opener doesn't have email
STL: well that explains why I can't find him
Me: I'll leave a note in the market mailbox (in my store we use our ctl's mailbox in tsc for the entire team just pull the folder with your name on it. Normally it's just notes about projects or to ask questions works really well)

^I honestly don't understand how a GSTL could ever choose 1 person on 1 register versus 1 person on 4SCOs...funny enough by best practice the first cashier in the building goes to SCO, not a register. The 2nd cashier scheduled to come goes to the register.

^I honestly don't understand how a GSTL could ever choose 1 person on 1 register versus 1 person on 4SCOs...funny enough by best practice the first cashier in the building goes to SCO, not a register. The 2nd cashier scheduled to come goes to the register.
Seems more efficient to have 1 person on a register and monitor SCO by yourself.

So according to this air head gstl in my store best practice has nothing to do with SCO and she has the final say and that she will use the person who is supposed to watch SCO and put them on register for their entire shift. Best part is as she is saying this our DTL and all business partners were standing behind her. The DTL asked me to watch the lanes for a little bit while they had a status. 30mins later gstl is walking out the front door. Followed by the STL asking me to go to 3
STL: I know you're pfresh now but we will need you to cover the front end until close
Me: I'll leave a note in the market mailbox (in my store we use our ctl's mailbox in tsc for the entire team just pull the folder with your name on it. Normally it's just notes about projects or to ask questions works really well)
Best practice says the SCO must be watched by someone, whether that's a cashier, GSA, GSTL, ETL, STL or even the cart attendant. If the SCO cannot be staffed it should be shut down until someone is able to watch it.

And we wonder why shit walks out the door.

Ive always wanted to sit down and look at work bench but never get the opportunity. I was trained on how to look at planograms but thats it.

In our store and person is scheduled for SCO on the schedule and the other for a CL. It says on the schedule SCO.

@FFN The handbook is a book of rules, regarding conduct, that all stores must follow. Company policy so to speak. "Best," AKA "common" practice is the most common or recommended way of executing a certain process. Like others mentioned, you can find the legit way of doing things on workbench. Best practices are not rules across all stores, and you'll see lots of variances in the way leaders execute processes from store to store based on business needs.

So according to this air head gstl in my store best practice has nothing to do with SCO and she has the final say and that she will use the person who is supposed to watch SCO and put them on register for their entire shift. Best part is as she is saying this our DTL and all business partners were standing behind her. The DTL asked me to watch the lanes for a little bit while they had a status. 30mins later gstl is walking out the front door.
That is a truly stupid move by that GSTL. Was she fired? I hope so!

best practice = what target corp wants us to do. plain and simple.

store policy is what we do based on local needs/issues. dtl and ap bp requires us to have a person on self check out while its open. i spent a long time using someone on a register nearby because we arent given hours to staff it.

That is a truly stupid move by that GSTL. Was she fired? I hope so!
Official line is she is no longer with the company.
Unfortunately for me I'm getting scheduled as gsa again to finish trying trying the GSA they replaced me with and to cover the gstls shifts.

Official line is she is no longer with the company.
Unfortunately for me I'm getting scheduled as gsa again to finish trying trying the GSA they replaced me with and to cover the gstls shifts.
If you wanted to, this would be a great opportunity to slide into the TL role lol

If you wanted to, this would be a great opportunity to slide into the TL role lol
Funny thing is the ETL hr did approach me today about my development and what my plans for target are. My answer was to strive to challenge myself more and to help others challenge themselves and to improve store morale. After hearing what I said I realized that I'm drinking too much kool aid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back