Archived Big news coming Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been ON during the 15+ yrs I've been there but have been told we will lose it .
We get a truck every night & doubles during upcoming holidays or special events.
We went up an org level but just shy of the threshold of keeping our ON.
4AM stores that routinely take doubles will be screwed and I imagine will not stay 4AM for long. If you only get random double every once in a while or during BTS/4Q, you will have approval to temporarily go back overnight to account for the increased freight. We are 6AM and usually do a week of 4AM for BTS, a week around Black Friday, and 2 weeks before New Years.

I just find it amazing they keep doing this when aisles being blocked and parts of the store being nearly unshoppable because of dayside flow is consistently a top guest complaint.

It is cheaper they are blaming all the problems on the employees, they cut labor and facility costs since it is darker longer.

My Store that new STL has the run a AA like a ULV store and people are already pissed. No day side starts before 7am and all shifts are being cut down to 4hrs.. There is shit everywhere, backstock not done anymore.. Coming clean? yeah no.. I dig through backstock tubs and carts all day. INF is my favorite word right now cause I can't find shit.. But I am told I need to bring that up.. Umm then backstock the damn store!

It is cheaper they are blaming all the problems on the employees, they cut labor and facility costs since it is darker longer.

My Store that new STL has the run a AA like a ULV store and people are already pissed. No day side starts before 7am and all shifts are being cut down to 4hrs.. There is shit everywhere, backstock not done anymore.. Coming clean? yeah no.. I dig through backstock tubs and carts all day. INF is my favorite word right now cause I can't find shit.. But I am told I need to bring that up.. Umm then backstock the damn store!

4 hour shifts work ok if you have almost everyone part time looking for 20 hours a week, but who has that and has solid attendance? At least 25% should be people looking for full time to baseload the store. We had an issue where almost 90% of logistics was looking for between 30-40 hours year round. At that point we blow up payroll or get rid of the mediocre people that want full time. The STL may be trying to cull the herd with the 4 hour shifts.

All shifts? Or are you talking about flow only?

Over night to 4am will be a big transition! 4am to 6 is even worse! We struggled in December when we decided to open at 7, having guest in the store was rough!

My store tried the 7 am unload once and it failed. Went back to 6 am.

An overnight shift the whole shift is shift differential. A 4am shift it's only 4 hours of shift differential.

Don't forget the stores that switched to 6am and get no shift differential what so ever.

25 team members losing 4 hours of shift differential is 100 dollars per day per store.
Plus reduced lighting and HVAC costs. I'm also fairly certain my time adjusts needs down on the sales floor, given that it expects some flow tms to be in the building during operating hours.

25 member crew? No wonder target is losing money, time to trim the fat. Get these flow bitches out on the street

Yeah my last overnight store had a 19 person unload team. 4 backroom team members, 2 team leads.

Flow team generally does work faster when the store is open to my knowledge. When the store is closed people put on their headphones and kind of get lost in their own world

Yeah my last overnight store had a 19 person unload team. 4 backroom team members, 2 team leads.

Flow team generally does work faster when the store is open to my knowledge. When the store is closed people put on their headphones and kind of get lost in their own world
I think part of it is follow up. During the day you have multiple ETLs on the floor. At night you have one maybe 2 ETLs depending on volume and 3 team leads not including POG. You have to have followup and timing down for it to work, and it's way easier to get someone in for a callout when it's a 4am or 6am process within 2 hours or at least get someone that knows what they are doing to push effectively. Technically a well performing Hardlines TM should be able to do the same work.

You're not going to get flow speeds when the store is open. Corporate needs to understand this. They also need to understand that the follow-up for pushing CAFs and that for the truck are two different things, and poor ETL or STL leadership can get by on CAF push but not on a truck as all store sins are multiplied. The thing to watch out for is that you have lots of outs on the floor consistent, you blow up payroll, or your turnover is unusually high. Anytime that happens it's the canary in the coal mine.

This whole 4am / 6am start time is very common in other retailers. A few specifically I know first hand they only go ON in Q4 and that’s it. Everyone just has to be THAT much more accountable to make sure it’s effective.

This whole 4am / 6am start time is very common in other retailers. A few specifically I know first hand they only go ON in Q4 and that’s it. Everyone just has to be THAT much more accountable to make sure it’s effective.
Spot also likes to think they're more upscale than other discount retailers. Looking like a tornado hit a Walmart at 8am when the store opens doesn't really help that image.

Spot also likes to think they're more upscale than other discount retailers. Looking like a tornado hit a Walmart at 8am when the store opens doesn't really help that image.
And they give me shit about one light being out or one soda can in the parking lot but having a tornado like atmosphere indoors hurts more than a couple cosmetic blemishes that most guests don’t even notice.

But Spot is pretty good at it. However, I’ve seen 4am store look like disaster sites at 9am when they have a 4 am process. It’s all about time management and leadership

All shifts? Or are you talking about flow only?

They have chopped everyone, it's been weird. You might get a full day say as electronics closer but then the rest of the shifts are short. No one really is hitting over 24hrs for the week..

Tbird - if the STL wants to cull the herd he needs to do nothing more than write up the chaff who work so slow they make sure they get their 40hrs. Don't make me squeeze a full day to half and then bitch the workload isn't done. My workload doesn't all drop at once.

Last edited:
They have chopped everyone, it's been weird. You might get a full day say as electronics closer but then the rest of the shifts are short. No one really is hitting over 24hrs for the week..

Tbird - if the STL wants to cull the herd he needs to do nothing more than write up the chaff who work so slow they make sure they get their 40hrs. Don't make me squeeze a full day to half and then bitch the workload isn't done. My workload doesn't all drop at once.

How in the world did the POGs get done this past week? Did they get done?

There were over 200 hours just for cosmetics. Are you saying no POG tm got over 24 hours total this week?

I just find that hard to swollow. And the receiver only got 24 hours?

How in the world did the POGs get done this past week? Did they get done?

There were over 200 hours just for cosmetics. Are you saying no POG tm got over 24 hours total this week?

I just find that hard to swollow. And the receiver only got 24 hours?

The receiver worked four days, the one backroom dude got to cover her other day but they had her working instead of her normal open time, an hour later and leave an hour early our vendors were not happy. POG they pulled in help from the pool of people, but the TL and one other had full shifts. It was rotating cast that set mini.. And yeah they all went over.. It was a shit show..

Was told today that some big news is coming down on Monday for ETL’s and below (STL’s already know, at least in my area.) Didn’t seem like it was just for my district/area. I understood it to be a big change (totally different from all of our AE 2018 meetings.) We were told to “start hiring up” or be ready to be able to schedule more of our TM’s to 40 hours. Which made it seem like to me a major new rollout/process...........

Which I had more but that’s all we got.

It could be Target Drive Up which starts next Month for 800 stores but I heard they are using guest service team members for that. Idk Lol hopefully bonuses which all other company’s are doing

Coaching and PDDs/CCAs can be effective. Then the only reason why I can think would be it's to shake lose some 36+ hour veterans to get more 20 hour a week part timers into the mix. That might be why stores prefer to drag out the process using the worst case scenario as it's harder to manage out good workers.

It could be Target Drive Up which starts next Month for 800 stores but I heard they are using guest service team members for that. Idk Lol hopefully bonuses which all other company’s are doing

Could be this, but was talking to a ETL-IT friend and he mentioned this, but he made it seem like it wasn’t a secret really for our region. But likely possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back