Archived Black friday 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do stores handle SCO on Thanksgiving/Black Friday?

Last year for my store, they had a cashier at each SCO machine for both levels. It was a total of 16 team members assisting guests out there.

This year I’m scheduled at SCO for Thanksgiving and closing shift for Black Friday, so I’m pretty terrified if I have to handle this all alone if they suddenly decide to make SCO a solo gig. Wouldn’t be a first time tackling a busy day/night alone but gods I don’t wanna do that for the holidays.

I’ve never been asked I’ve always just been scheduled. I think the consensus is if you work at target you will work thanksgiving.
I tell them you can schedule me for any day that weekend except thanksgiving. Like if you say “you can schedule me, but I’m not coming in” that usually will get them not to schedule you bc they want everyone to show up

Same for me. But I haven't been scheduled to work Thanksgiving or Black Friday for a few years. Don't know why, except maybe they would rather give the time/half pay to people with more open availability. So Ok with me.

Well it's a good thing that I checked the schedule today; I'm on the schedule for Thanksgiving day 3:30 pm - 12 am, cashier. I'm softlines, and really not anxious to spend a whole shift at the register. I wonder if they'll provide a nice meal for us like in years past.

You just put yourself in the dog house here. ;)

I think I was asked at my interview if I was willing and able to work Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I've never seen a signup sheet to work those days, and I've definitely gotten the impression over the years that those are absolute black-out days, everyone is scheduled for at least one shift during that time frame.

First time I worked at Target, we had a signup sheet, but no one bothered to sign it, because we knew the ETLs would just schedule whoever they wanted. Usually their favorite people would be schedule, so they could get holiday pay. I never ended up working on any holiday while I was there. This time, there was a signup sheet that I never actually saw, but I got scheduled for plenty of hours next week.

First time I worked at Target, we had a signup sheet, but no one bothered to sign it, because we knew the ETLs would just schedule whoever they wanted. Usually their favorite people would be schedule, so they could get holiday pay. I never ended up working on any holiday while I was there. This time, there was a signup sheet that I never actually saw, but I got scheduled for plenty of hours next week.
Used to be that we filled out special availability sheets and as far as I know, they really did try to work with it. Then it changed to filling out those sheets and they were just ignored. Last year, it got lost and of course, no one had thought to make a copy. This year, I'm scheduled for about double the hours I usually work. That plus my other job is going to make for a really long couple of weeks, but the extra pay will be nice. My mantra is "just get through this and then you can sleep."

Our old ETL used to go around and asked everybody on flow what there availability was for Thanksgiving/Black Friday weekend and schedule accordingly. Our new ETL didn't bother to do that and just scheduled whoever he wanted whenever he wanted. Sure did make for some pretty pissed off TM's

As @seasonaldude said, there's no federal law. There's also no state law that requires a private (aka non-government) employer to pay a premium for working on the holiday, according to Google. Which leaves it up to company policy.

That said, it HAS been company policy for years. If they suddenly decide to change policy, one would think that notice ought to be provided, given that it alters the terms of our "contract" to work for Spot. Having been on the butt end of a (not-Spot) policy change that affected my ability to receive holiday pay in the past, though, I know there's no requirement there either.

My guess, honestly, is that people here are asking the wrong person in the store. They're asking sales floor TL's rather than HR. Or they're asking HR at a time and place where it can't be checked before answering, and they'd rather be wrong with a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back