Archived Black Friday and availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
AP at my store is working a 16 hr shifts on black Thursday/ Friday
With my availability from 5pm to close Monday thru Friday, and the store rumored to stay open from 8pm to Saturday midnight, should I expect a shift going to 2 to 3 am in the morning, and then come back on Friday for another A.M. shift into Saturday?

I would expect possibly working a Work 8/12-Off 8-Work8 schedule. If you have any reason that you cannot be available at any time during Black Thanksgiving-Friday, let your schedule maker know; especially kids or anything.

Some of my friends still with Target were given the option of picking their shifts (or working required shifts), then HR filled in the rest.

I have always been led to believe ( wrong or not) that everyone works on Black Friday. However, I do think if someone has a genuine reason as to why they cant work...then that's that...they cant work.

What a concept... Thanksgiving dinner with people you care about, whether it be family or friends.

Yep, welcome to retail of the here and now. Thing is, you can blame all the stores you want... Bottom line is... If the customers, errr, Guests didn't show up, there would be no need for Black Thanksgiving Day.

"That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
Very true....if no one showed up Spot wouldn't be opened .

What does everyone's stores do for those who generally do not have Friday availability?

My main job was actually closed on Black Friday (a nice CEO) to give everyone a 4 day weekend but Target scheduled me anyway. I didnt fight it and I really didnt complain because I know its an all hands on deck type of day. My only concern was not ever non retail job gives you off on Black Friday you have to use vacation time if you dont want to work that day. If my main job was not closed I would not be using my vacation time just to work at Target when its not in my availability. They did not even ask me what time I could work they just scheduled me whenever they wanted and had my other job been open it would have been during that time.

So how do other stores handle this?

Bro, you're in retail. They ask you when you first start(if not during the interview) if you can work holidays. If you say yes, as everyone does without thinking about it, you signed up for Black Friday right then.

When I started 15 years ago and they asked about holidays Thanksgiving was still a day the store was closed.
I started with Spot over 18 years ago. I was never asked if I could or couldn't work Holidays. I simply filled out the Job application( which at the time was on paper ( gasp) ) with the days and times I could work...then at orientation we filled it out again. I know that working Holidays is Part of retail...and I don't think Spot owes me anything for working for them this long...However, I would think that after 18 years I could at least get every other weekend off...but yet they hire people every day...who wont work weekends etc.

AP at my store is working a 16 hr shifts on black Thursday/ Friday
With my availability from 5pm to close Monday thru Friday, and the store rumored to stay open from 8pm to Saturday midnight, should I expect a shift going to 2 to 3 am in the morning, and then come back on Friday for another A.M. shift into Saturday?
Every store is different. Get with ur leader.

I get that holidays are part of working retail, though I do find it anyoying that the two holidays we are still closed are religious holidays that I do not celebrate.

This X two.
Give us Thanksgiving and the choice of a religious holiday.
Why should I have to use vacation days for the high holidays?

Or Thanksgiving and a non secular holiday like my birthday...also known as wine cake and present day.

This X two.
Give us Thanksgiving and the choice of a religious holiday.
Why should I have to use vacation days for the high holidays?
My boyfriend went some round with one of the companies he is working for over this, they finally relented to give him the evenings off.

I think this year my birthday should be a holiday for everyone! :D

I have heard from different people that Target will pay time and a half for Thanksgiving day and Black Friday and others say they will give an extra one dollar an hour. Which is it? Anyone know?

Assuming 6 PM open you'd get time and a half from 6-midnight and then an extra dollar an hour from midnight-6 am maybe? Not sure if it's 4 am 6 am or 8 am.

Either way it's bullcrap.

What does everyone's stores do for those who generally do not have Friday availability?

My main job was actually closed on Black Friday (a nice CEO) to give everyone a 4 day weekend but Target scheduled me anyway. I didnt fight it and I really didnt complain because I know its an all hands on deck type of day. My only concern was not ever non retail job gives you off on Black Friday you have to use vacation time if you dont want to work that day. If my main job was not closed I would not be using my vacation time just to work at Target when its not in my availability. They did not even ask me what time I could work they just scheduled me whenever they wanted and had my other job been open it would have been during that time.

Bro, you're in retail. They ask you when you first start(if not during the interview) if you can work holidays. If you say yes, as everyone does without thinking about it, you signed up for Black Friday right then.

The funny thing is we are technically "closed" on thanksgiving and christmas..up until a year ago when they decided to open WAY WAY earlier than ever before and into thursday. Im waiting until we open at noon on xmas ...it is coming eventually

When I started 15 years ago and they asked about holidays Thanksgiving was still a day the store was closed.
I started with Spot over 18 years ago. I was never asked if I could or couldn't work Holidays. I simply filled out the Job application( which at the time was on paper ( gasp) ) with the days and times I could work...then at orientation we filled it out again. I know that working Holidays is Part of retail...and I don't think Spot owes me anything for working for them this long...However, I would think that after 18 years I could at least get every other weekend off...but yet they hire people every day...who wont work weekends etc.

Dont you love it...drives me nuts when we hire someone who cant work weekends...meanwhile I had only had 1 weekend off the ENTIRE year up until I requested one off a few weeks ago and I have complete availability and work in Pfresh

As a random note for black friday....My STL said that we arent handing out store maps this year and its all going to be on the target app? I can only see disaster from this...

As a random note for black friday....My STL said that we arent handing out store maps this year and its all going to be on the target app? I can only see disaster from this...

Why does Spot assume everyone has a smart phone?
I understand that a good portion of the population has one but I'm sure that you're going to get at least 10% of your customers who don't and they are going to be the vocal ones.

The funny thing is we are technically "closed" on thanksgiving and christmas..up until a year ago when they decided to open WAY WAY earlier than ever before and into thursday. Im waiting until we open at noon on xmas ...it is coming eventually
I can see Spot doing that for sure

I have heard from different people that Target will pay time and a half for Thanksgiving day and Black Friday and others say they will give an extra one dollar an hour. Which is it? Anyone know?
I assure it will be whichever way Spot comes out the cheapest.

Why does Spot assume everyone has a smart phone?
I understand that a good portion of the population has one but I'm sure that you're going to get at least 10% of your customers who don't and they are going to be the vocal ones.

Not only that but who wants to have their phone out while they are getting rushed on all sides if they are coming right at opening...ya...Id love to have my phone dropped and stepped on..highlight of my thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back