Archived Black Friday and availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone's stores do for those who generally do not have Friday availability?

My main job was actually closed on Black Friday (a nice CEO) to give everyone a 4 day weekend but Target scheduled me anyway. I didnt fight it and I really didnt complain because I know its an all hands on deck type of day. My only concern was not ever non retail job gives you off on Black Friday you have to use vacation time if you dont want to work that day. If my main job was not closed I would not be using my vacation time just to work at Target when its not in my availability. They did not even ask me what time I could work they just scheduled me whenever they wanted and had my other job been open it would have been during that time.

So how do other stores handle this?

If your other job had a nice CEO you wouldn't need two jobs.

Hmmmm, I don't think they can schedule you against your availability, no matter if it's Black Friday or not. Especially if they didn't even inquire.

Are you going to just work it?

Hmmmm, I don't think they can schedule you against your availability, no matter if it's Black Friday or not. Especially if they didn't even inquire.

Are you going to just work it?
I think they can. It's called "blackout" were everyone must be available no matter what.

Everyone is scheduled against their availabilty at my store for Thanksgiving and the day after. The only exceptions are those people on LOA. My ETL-HR asked me for my preference, and I gave it, with the explanation that I don't have family in this state, and would like to at least be able to see them on Thanksgiving. My GSTL promptly overrode that request giving preference once again to the one who never has to work a freaking holiday. Why even ask if there's no intention of honoring it?

This year I am thankful that this should be my last Christmas season in retail.

What....?

The OP mentioned having a nice CEO at their first job. Nauzhror's point is that a "nice" CEO wouldn't be running a company where a person had to work that full time job, plus another job, simply to make ends meet.

Of course we don't know enough about the OP's situation or other job to make a claim as to whether or not the first job pays a living wage.

What....?

The OP mentioned having a nice CEO at their first job. Nauzhror's point is that a "nice" CEO wouldn't be running a company where a person had to work that full time job, plus another job, simply to make ends meet.

Of course we don't know enough about the OP's situation or other job to make a claim as to whether or not the first job pays a living wage.

That's what I thought, I was just confused because I wouldn't go as far to say the CEO wouldn't run a company that didn't pay enough to make "ends meet" for a couple reasons.

The CEO cannot just raise everyone's pay, stockholders wouldn't be okay with it and it wouldn't be a smart business decision, that would defeat all future investments.

Also, speaking from a minimum wage standpoint, pay has been blown out of proportion lately. Ends meet to someone can be something entirely different to another. 15 dollars an hour should not be minimum wage.

I'll just leave my demands for living wages at the door on this one.

Anyway its sad that family engagements mean nothing. My grandparents, who live a fair distance away used to come down this way for thanksgiving. They would stay in the mountains at my parents cabin for a few days then go home so the family would at lest be able to be together for dinner on Thanksgiving. When the open time for Black Friday became Black Thursday I was unable to make the trip up to the mountains and get home in time for work, it was a few hours worth of driving. I figured maybe I could just make it next year no big deal.

My Grandfather died a few months later.

I'll just leave my demands for living wages at the door on this one.

Anyway its sad that family engagements mean nothing. My grandparents, who live a fair distance away used to come down this way for thanksgiving. They would stay in the mountains at my parents cabin for a few days then go home so the family would at lest be able to be together for dinner on Thanksgiving. When the open time for Black Friday became Black Thursday I was unable to make the trip up to the mountains and get home in time for work, it was a few hours worth of driving. I figured maybe I could just make it next year no big deal.

My Grandfather died a few months later.

Sorry for loss @Signkitty
I know how important sharing certain kinds of traditions are and it seems like this country is turning into one of those self destructing machines that slowly eats itself by ignoring the importance of those traditions.
Jews have a get together for just just about every major holiday and Friday nights are considered sacrosanct.
There's a reason the gathering together, sharing food and wine, connecting and telling stories is so important.
It makes people stronger, gives them something to live for, keeps them healthy.
Even the serfs in the dark ages had more chances together than we do now.

I'm convinced in some ways this is intentional but that's another rant.

We haven't been asked, and i see nothing posted about it.

I'm a few weeks from starting my new job, and I'm trying to hang on to pay the bills between now and then. But the lack of anything about it has me curious what is going on. I'm unavailable in the system Thursday and Friday, not that that matters.

Of course, I'm not there a lot during the week, and I wouldn't put it past them to have asked on a day I wasn't working and then it becomes a "too bad, we asked and you didn't answer.... Not our problem you weren't here." Kind of a thing.

Last night I barely made it 5 hours with foot pain. I wanted to cut it off.... This is never going to work.

My ETL-HR asked me for my preference, and I gave it, with the explanation that I don't have family in this state, and would like to at least be able to see them on Thanksgiving. My GSTL promptly overrode that request giving preference once again to the one who never has to work a freaking holiday. Why even ask if there's no intention of honoring it?

This year I am thankful that this should be my last Christmas season in retail.
THIS is the exact reason why I planned my exit from Walmart and walked out on Black Friday. Put in a very reasonabl schedule request at the beginning of October so I could drive home to visit family (open day before, close on BF - we were closed on Thurs). Denied. Got hired for a dept manager job at another company. Paperwork cleared Thanksgiving week. New boss called and asked when I could start. I told him Monday.

What does everyone's stores do for those who generally do not have Friday availability?

My main job was actually closed on Black Friday (a nice CEO) to give everyone a 4 day weekend but Target scheduled me anyway. I didnt fight it and I really didnt complain because I know its an all hands on deck type of day. My only concern was not ever non retail job gives you off on Black Friday you have to use vacation time if you dont want to work that day. If my main job was not closed I would not be using my vacation time just to work at Target when its not in my availability. They did not even ask me what time I could work they just scheduled me whenever they wanted and had my other job been open it would have been during that time.

Bro, you're in retail. They ask you when you first start(if not during the interview) if you can work holidays. If you say yes, as everyone does without thinking about it, you signed up for Black Friday right then.

My store doesn't care. We used to have a GSA who was never available on Fridays due to a family situation, but there he was on Black Friday.

And of course my boss at my other job wants to know whether or not I'll be available to work the day after Thanksgiving. I found it mildly amusing that he thought I would already have my schedule for that week.

Just go to whoever makes your schedule and see if you can arrange something to fit your schedule or swap shifts.

During my college days, I only work Fri-Sun. And in my first year, I worked my normal hours on Thanksgiving. But with Christmas was during the week, I thought I had the day off, but I was scheduled to open Guest Service the day after and miss Christmas with the family for the first time.

I also worked a second job at one time with early hours. When the holidays came up, the store gave people the option to work either open/close Thanksgiving or open/close Christmas. With my other job being a direct conflict in the mornings, they were able to schedule me closing or mid shifts.

Last edited:
Bro, you're in retail. They ask you when you first start(if not during the interview) if you can work holidays. If you say yes, as everyone does without thinking about it, you signed up for Black Friday right then.

Actually when I was hired it was into a different department, and I did state I could not work on Thanksgiving even though that department was closed that day regardless.

So I was not hired with the expectation that I would work on Thursday at all - and I have been unavailable on Thursday since I was hired.

Not that anyone will care/remember when it comes to doing the schedule... the one I saw on MyTime today has me once again scheduled 1 shift more than I can work. Sigh.

[QUOTE="

I'm convinced in some ways this is intentional but that's another rant.[/QUOTE]
its the work of the super elite, break everyone down so that the NWO will go off without a hitch

When I started 15 years ago and they asked about holidays Thanksgiving was still a day the store was closed.

I will be there. I was just wondering how other stores handled it. I have been there for over 10 years so I understand the game. I was just wondering how accommodating or not stores were especially if you had another job.

I actually said no to working holidays on my application. I've been scheduled for 4 holidays in the past two and a half years, including the two thanksgivings, though. And I went in on "Columbus day" last week because someone called out.

At my store, the etl hr goes around asking your preference, then attempts to go by it, but then they'll ignore it if there weren't enough volunteers. They also ask if you'll extend your availability for certain days of 4th quarter. I've already given into black thanks...Friday. I volunteered to open again. Target pretty much erased thanksgiving for me. I get really excited for Christmas now. There was a time where I loved thanksgiving more.

What a concept... Thanksgiving dinner with people you care about, whether it be family or friends.

Yep, welcome to retail of the here and now. Thing is, you can blame all the stores you want... Bottom line is... If the customers, errr, Guests didn't show up, there would be no need for Black Thanksgiving Day.

"That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back