Archived Black Friday for a Cashier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so this year will be my first as a black friday cashier. What can i expect? Im scheduled to work from 7am - 2:45. How busy can I expect it to be.

From what I remember last year, Black Friday feels like just a very busy regular day since all of the door busters are done and gone by Friday.

My first BF was a seasonal thing from 5 am to 1 pm, roughly. You'll be fine. The early morning's going to be VERY slow because you're inbetween the waves. All of the people who camped out are long-gone, and everyone who actually enjoyed the holiday will be indulging in that until they feel ready to go. I can't say for sure what time that'll be, but you're not going to get a rush at 8 am because everyone knows the doors opened at 6 on Thursday. Just spend a lot of your downtime zoning and tending to the front (which, as a cashier, should be a job role anyways); odds are good someone will get pulled to zone the salesfloor, which is a great opportunity to cross-train and learn more if you wanna stay on past seasonal.

I remember my seasonal life was 4-5 hour shifts until Black Friday, so if this is going to be your first experience with lunches, here's a big tip: don't forget to punch out for your lunch! Start Meal/End Meal, bud! They're important! One of the other seasonals who started at the same time as me totally forgot to do it on his lunch, so they had to punch out later and kept running back to the time clock while they worked to punch back IN. Honestly, now that I think about it, they could have probably just done a punch correction form, huh? HR and TLs are funny sometimes.

Long story short, you'll be fine, you'll be great, keep doing good things. Stick to it like any other day. If it gets busy, do what you've done before. If something come up and you have the power to make it right, make it happen. If you don't have the power or if you don't feel right about it, get the GSA or GSTL or whoever's on deck. Black Friday's the busiest shopping day of the year, but it's still just a shopping day. Stick to your breaks and lunches and your routine like it's just a very busy Friday. Be excellent to your guests and they'll be excellent too, in most cases.

those hours are dead time. you'll get customers here and there, but probably not as much as you'd see when teh doors first open. you'll probably be zoning a lot

Last year it was pretty dead at 8am. It got busier, but of course the real action occurred on Thursday.

It'll get busy around 11 am and you'll be begging for mercy. There will be no backup. No carts. No mercy.

Hey guys, so this year will be my first as a black friday cashier. What can i expect? Im scheduled to work from 7am - 2:45. How busy can I expect it to be.
If you are were working Black Thanksgiving opening, it would be a mob scene. Guests pushing each other through the door and down to run through the doors. You can expect a fight or two. Guests yelling and screaming at you. It will be non-stop transactions for the first two hours.

But if you are working Friday starting at 7am. Things will be busy; higher than normal. But it will be as bad as Thursday opening.

Last edited:
I'm training three noobs to be CA's for those two days. HA.

I'm training three noobs to be CA's for those two days. HA.
This one cashier wanted me to teach him to be a CA. I told him no. He was pretty upset after that, but the main reason I said no was because I knew he couldn't do it. He doesn't like being handed money from guests because its dirty. I'm not out to make fun of him because he likes to stay super clean, but after I learned that I told him he wouldn't survive as a CA. He still always asks, and I tell him, "ok help me empty out the trash cans at the front of the store first". He normally laughs and says, "Thats not a part of your job, you're just trying to scare me".

I remember a few years back when I filled in for a cashier on Black Friday. I thought since all the door busters were gone, it would be a piece of cake and things would be slow.

I could not have been more wrong.

If you're looking for advice, don't kid yourself in thinking it's going to be easy just because the main Thanksgiving Day thrust is over. You are going to be busy.

I worked cashier last black friday, there were so many cashiers and no where near enough lanes, it was just boring. I only cashiered about an hour out of my 8 hour shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back