Black Friday

Store opened at 6 pm and closed at midnight. We reopened the next morning at 6 am. I’m not sure why the earlier opening and later closing? After the initial opening last year, we were dead afterwards. I don’t think we made our sales goal and started sending TM’s home.

I really think Target is screwing the pooch with these hours. There’s a nostalgia factor that they are failing to capitalize on. Black Friday was an actual event. It was exciting because it was the first day marking the Christmas shopping season. People would spend part of their Thanksgiving scouring the ads and planning their shopping trip. With online shopping do you really need to be open on Thanksgiving? Especially if you are disabling Drive-up and OPU?

And I am stating right here and now that if you are open after Walmart is on Xmas Eve you are doing Xmas Eve wrong. You are weak. Close an hour earlier and be the alpha.

I really think Target is screwing the pooch with these hours. There’s a nostalgia factor that they are failing to capitalize on. Black Friday was an actual event. It was exciting because it was the first day marking the Christmas shopping season. People would spend part of their Thanksgiving scouring the ads and planning their shopping trip. With online shopping do you really need to be open on Thanksgiving? Especially if you are disabling Drive-up and OPU?

And I am stating right here and now that if you are open after Walmart is on Xmas Eve you are doing Xmas Eve wrong. You are weak. Close an hour earlier and be the alpha.
I wish this right here would happen.

All retailers are trying to be open first so they have first shot at customers' money. It's not just Target.

I honestly think target is smart and ahead of the game. They’re adjusting early compared to other retailers and its paying off. We had one of our biggest black Friday’s and holiday season in the past 10 years last year because we focused on fufillment and thinned the hours we were opened target saved a ton of money not being open 12-6 and people will get their deals at target regardless of when we open. They’ll either order it online or wait until 7am. The lines were dying way before target decided not to open at midnight 2 years ago. They saw a change in traffic and they acted on it. Smart business move

I honestly think target is smart and ahead of the game. They’re adjusting early compared to other retailers and its paying off. We had one of our biggest black Friday’s and holiday season in the past 10 years last year because we focused on fufillment and thinned the hours we were opened target saved a ton of money not being open 12-6 and people will get their deals at target regardless of when we open. They’ll either order it online or wait until 7am. The lines were dying way before target decided not to open at midnight 2 years ago. They saw a change in traffic and they acted on it. Smart business move
So why is Target opening earlier this year and staying open later? My store did not have the lines outside the building like in years past. After the first couple of hours, it was like a regular weekend day and died later in the evening.

So why is Target opening earlier this year and staying open later? My store did not have the lines outside the building like in years past. After the first couple of hours, it was like a regular weekend day and died later in the evening.
By an hour.... they’re tweaking it and seeing what works. If they regretted their decision or it didn’t work they’d just be going back to midnight. Regardless of your perception of the line or how busy you were. Numbers don’t lie. Just because they weren’t lined up at the door doesn’t mean they didn’t get their deal. Online shopping is still going to be a huge portion of sales.

WE??? I'm telling you - all that Koolaid's gonna make you FAT!!! Trust me... ;)
Thanks for your opinion. I believe in the company I work for. If I didn’t there’s no point in working here. Sorry you couldn’t say the same. The koolaid pays the bills so it they want to keep prompting me I’ll keep drinking it.

Last edited:
were to post this .. $$$81.00 What a steal

turkey-costume-target.jpg

turkey-costume-target.jpg

If you put on a red shirt it meets dress code too.

By an hour.... they’re tweaking it and seeing what works. If they regretted their decision or it didn’t work they’d just be going back to midnight. Regardless of your perception of the line or how busy you were. Numbers don’t lie. Just because they weren’t lined up at the door doesn’t mean they didn’t get their deal. Online shopping is still going to be a huge portion of sales.

Thanks for your opinion. I believe in the company I work for. If I didn’t there’s no point in working here. Sorry you couldn’t say the same. The looks of pays the bills so it they want to keep prompting me I’ll keep drinking it.
It is a difference of two hours from last year. It wasn't a perception, the numbers didn't lie in my store as we did not make our sales goal. The only line we had was a guest service when they were picking up their orders. They get the deal online and can either have their items sent or picked up in-store. Yes, online shopping is huge, but why open earlier and stay open later to accommodate this shopping?

Essentially, no reason not to from Spot's perspective as you already need a lot of employees working to accommodate online shopping. You need employees there to take all the sale items from the back and stage them on the floor so that fulfillment can pick them easily. You obviously need fulfillment. That's a lot of people already. But, hey that's also a good time to go ahead and take a truck or two so that you can be ready for the weekend and Cyber Monday. You don't want to run out of inventory. At this point, you've already got all your salesfloor working, so why the hell not bring in the front end and open the store to let some guests buy things as well.

Essentially, no reason not to from Spot's perspective as you already need a lot of employees working to accommodate online shopping. You need employees there to take all the sale items from the back and stage them on the floor so that fulfillment can pick them easily. You obviously need fulfillment. That's a lot of people already. But, hey that's also a good time to go ahead and take a truck or two so that you can be ready for the weekend and Cyber Monday. You don't want to run out of inventory. At this point, you've already got all your salesfloor working, so why the hell not bring in the front end and open the store to let some guests buy things as well.
But, does it warrant us opening an hour earlier and staying an hour later compared to last year? We already have TM's working the day shift on Thanksgiving picking orders.

But, does it warrant us opening an hour earlier and staying an hour later compared to last year? We already have TM's working the day shift on Thanksgiving picking orders.

It doesn't really hurt from Spot's persepctive. That's another 2 hours of sales so why the fuck not?

That last hour - employee pay, electric bill, water bill, theft....are there really enough sales at 1am to offset all that?

I would imagine sales is a no. But, you're going to want TMs there anyway to recover for the next morning, so might as well keep the doors open for the odd guest or two who wants to spend money.

Back