Black Friday

I've been doing this for 20 years and this is the first time we weren't allowed overtime and there's too much work to be completed. It makes me wonder how horrible it will be after Christmas.
My store's giving OT, I had 42 hours last week, 48 this week.

Last edited:
We are offered as much hours we need and keeps asking us if we want more hours every week . But my store looks not even close to Black Friday ready , for some reason .

Yeah I've been working 72 hours a week lol. We are very understaffed though.
I'd do that, or close to it if they let us, but my store's never allowed me over 62 hours, and very rarely that much. That said I may very well work more than 48 this week, but I was scheduled to work 48.

BF we are "all hands on deck" We have been that way for a while. We just have about 50% of the staff we normally have. I think my high volume store has like 3 seasonal cashiers.

I'm scheduled 48 hours next week. I'm going to shoot for 55 though.

Stores in my district have been allowed $2/hour extra pay for all days/hours worked through New Year's. So in our case, it's better than last year where the $2/hour was limited to Saturday/Sunday. I think our stores here are really strapped for staff. OT is available. Our back stockrooms rooms are jammed so full that .... (censoring this out of caution)... We're really struggling to keep price tags updated on the sales floor, far too many items are ringing up with a price increase not shown on the tag.

I’m now 2 1/2 gigs removed from Target but have yet to experience a less ideal Black Friday experience than the last one Cornell hit me with, the only high point of which being the nine-foot tall cop strolling around strapped to the teeth. Not a Hi-Point even, but a fuckin AR-15. It’s high noon somewhere, y’all

Pretty low key at mine as well, we made the sales goal, but I didn't feel particularly overwhelmed or swamped.

So my store is now open until Midnight starting next week.

I thought in the past that they only did that the week before Christmas.

Of course our store doesn't realize half of our night crew are minors and can't work past 9:30.

Idiots.

Our minors work till 9:45. We go to Midnight closings starting December 4th. Pretty sure it's always been the second week of December, but the second week starts earlier this year than some years due to the first of the month being Thursday.

Our minors work till 9:45. We go to Midnight closings starting December 4th. Pretty sure it's always been the second week of December, but the second week starts earlier this year than some years due to the first of the month being Thursday.
I think it used to be midnight the last two weeks before Christmas.

Last year, we started the midnight closes during the first week of December. I told my ETL that I would do 1-2, but I'm scheduled to close every night. FML.

Last year, we started the midnight closes during the first week of December. I told my ETL that I would do 1-2, but I'm scheduled to close every night. FML.
Somehow I was spared the midnight closes for the past two, maybe even three years. This year nope, they got me - midnights only for the next two weeks, and most likely until Christmas.

They got me too. I actually changed my availability last spring so I couldn't work past 11. I agreed to close 1 night a week. I think my ETL heard that as I could have 1 day shift a week. I'd complain, but we are so short.

They got me too. I actually changed my availability last spring so I couldn't work past 11. I agreed to close 1 night a week. I think my ETL heard that as I could have 1 day shift a week. I'd complain, but we are so short.
Officially my availability is also only until 11. I'm letting it slide for now to get the hours.

So my store is now open until Midnight starting next week.

I thought in the past that they only did that the week before Christmas.

Of course our store doesn't realize half of our night crew are minors and can't work past 9:30.

Idiots.
Same with my store. I have accepted the uber-late shift time, it's very quiet after our normal 10:00 pm close. I don't understand why Corporate, which is so incredibly cheap-minded at other times, has made this decision. All I can say is I'm making bank on it.

Back