Archived Botched Market Rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our biggest issue was really getting in excess product pushed onto us by the DC that we never were able to effectively sell so it would go bad.

Our CTL has decided to unlocate all produce and just push all. I have my opinions about this, but am interested in yours.
we did that. seems to work well, but our CTL is hands off and leaves everything to the PAs. shes also the hardlines TL so ..... but she's borderline useless as a pusher or backstocker so were not missing her at all.
the PAs have to fill produce 3 times a day. morning noon and after dinner. but only the juices are located.

Unlocated produce is working great but the only issue we have are the fucking juices that nobody buys in produce.
then locate the juices. or check on hands.

Doesn't that cause issues with replenishment?
no because produce is ordered by a human not a computer.

the only bump my team had was a stupid one. when they were told market, they ASSUMED iot meant only dry. so when the fresh delievery came in and they were asked to do it lol they did it but werent happy!

No. My store did it successfully. I assume because stuff was manual ordered somehow.
no because produce is ordered by a human not a computer.
Right, but I've seen it mentioned in the market vent thread that TMs have been told to locate everything to help the FDC get a petter picture of what is on the floor vs in the back. Not everything is manually ordered.

Right, but I've seen it mentioned in the market vent thread that TMs have been told to locate everything to help the FDC get a petter picture of what is on the floor vs in the back. Not everything is manually ordered.

I honestly don't know and was just guessing. Should have made that more clear

I haven't dug into this, but about a decade ago that is how food was ordered by our system. It was not based on OHs, but stockroom locations. Essentially, you had 6 on your floor and if it triggered to pull when one sold and none were located, it triggered an HQ push of that product. This was back when order was in RF Apps and you could adjust the push manually though so I doubt it still works like this (especially since they are telling stores to do "fast movers" that are unlocated food items that aren't worth backstocking and they want them kept on their own carts).

I don't know about your stores, but what's in the back and on the floor didn't seem to have anything to do with the mountains of bolthouse/naked juices we'd receive.

We do not locate eggs or all the half gallon specialty milks. We have eggs on its own extra large metro and those milks are always open and put on 3 metros of unlocated back stock and pushed 3 to 4 times a day Never really have a problem except on occasion they would send us a few too many of the horizon 1% green label milk and around Easter way too many pallets of eggs.

the only thing produce wise that isnt manually order would be the bolthouse drinks, and other bottled beverages. which weve kept located. other than that, fruits and veggies must be ordered.

the only thing produce wise that isnt manually order would be the bolthouse drinks, and other bottled beverages. which weve kept located. other than that, fruits and veggies must be ordered.
Are you receiving a lot of the naked bolthouse juices lately ?

The process should go like this...

1. One TM unloading freight off the truck in unison with flow team helping out

2. Two TMs pulling autos

3. Market TL doing morning routine away from the unload and autos

4. Once truck is unloaded, both TMs should be nearly complete pulling autos and market TL should be near complete doing morning routine

5. All TMs working unload and autos start pushing freight and their backstock put in 3 tiers (not on uboats!!) That eliminates the damn clutter of having 15 uboats full of backstock sitting everywhere.

6. Backstock the GM truck that was just unloaded and pushed

7. Two TMs head home for the day. This should be around the 3-4 hour mark by now...FDC truck unload begins.

8. FDC is worked and stocked

9. FDC backstocked, ELAs completed

10. Clock out.
1/2 - Only 2 of us in the morning at 5am for autofills. I'm not about to get in flows way to help unload when they've been handling it so far. One TM can pull the autofills alone, and I'm paired up with either a former BR TM or a former flow TM and they both pull much faster than me because they are both used to always doing it.
3 - My CTL comes in usually at 6am, checks on pfresh, does whatever she has to do or comes to start truck push while I push autofills. Other autofill TM comes out to help after they finish autos. Another TM comes in at 7am and joins CTL/other autofill TM to push truck.
5- We still grab tubs for backstock. We usually end up with 3ish.
6 - After we fill a tub, the other autofill TM will go start the backstock.

We don't help pfresh push. They still have their own team. Our 1pm CAF has been super light too. Usually under 45 min, so 7am TM pulls it when he comes back from meal, while me and other autofill TM finish backstocking. Me and the other TM that came in at 5am, leave at 1:45pm. CTL and 7am TM usually will push CAF. Sometimes another TM will start at like 11, or the closer comes in at like 2pm. It's been going well so far. Would be much easier with some more people tho.

Our food truck (all the cold stuff) used to regularly arrive as late at 7, 8, or even 9pm. I assume the pallets were all just left for the morning grocery people to deal with.

I suppose they could use the space in the supers for sfs/backroom. Eliminating grocery will send more people to Walmart as a one stop destination. Locally our Walmart's are spotless :p and well stocked with more upscale products. Or they could just sell grocery.

Their options really don't look great...

Option 1: Scrap grocery entirely.
The huge problem with that is grocery accounts for 20% of all revenue. Not to mention all of the money spent on remodels over the past decade will have been for nothing. The shareholders would revolt if the board of directors allowed the company to do it.

Option 2: Commit like Walmart and expand to a full grocery selection.
The problem with that is it would be insanely expensive to do it properly. They would have to physically expand most stores by tens of thousands of square feet. I looked at satellite and street view of one of the older Walmarts in my area and when they remodeled to add full grocery, they tore down two smaller stores and expanded their building about 150 feet out one side. Target just does not have the cash to carry out that kind of expansion on a massive scale.

Option 3: Move it all online.
Take down all of market and turn it into backroom space. It will cost much less to handle grocery when it's in a controlled environment like the backroom. Offer free pickup (put the pickup counter in the back so they walk through the store for possible impulse buys) and offer cheap same day delivery. They would take a huge loss for a few years, but could end up ahead of the competition (walmart, amazon, etc) in a few years when millennials shift towards buying groceries online.

Hey everyone, just wanna thank you all for keeping up with this thread.

If you've made it this far, you've no doubt begun to realize that there wasn't really a plan at a company-wide level, just a lot of hoorays about 20% of sales being attributed to market, a lot of fanfare that amounted to nothing--when the doors opened and team members realized that there was no training, guidance, or leadership, but merely throwing bodies at a problem without direction.

And it's a shame too, because it's a specialty position -- I can't speak for everyone here, but it was a huge sigh of relief, initially, to hear that market would be getting the backup that I believed it always should have had. As a P.A., I knew it deserved more care and attention than it got and it seemed to fall on deaf ears until corporate brought down the hammer and sought to reinvent the image.

But it wasn't to be. And I soon learned that leadership didn't give two shits about what happened in market from then on; in fact, there seemed to be a willful neglect on the part of leadership of both ETL's and STLs to fully understand even the most basics aspects of the refocus in market. The reason for this? Plausible deniability is all I can think of --When shit hit the fan and DMs shook their heads during their walks, asking these leaders what happened, all they did was blame the team.

In fact, even as I trained everyone on the team single-handedly because higher ups didn't give two fucks, guess what happened to me. GUESS. I BET YOU CAN'T:

I was docked two dollars per hour for this past pay period. That's right: Instead of getting the raise promised to me for not only joining the new market rollout team and taking it upon myself to train those who were not taught even the basics, my pay was, for the THIRD time, docked.

I'm done with this shithole.

It's too little too late for this company to try and copy the successes of other prominent chains who have had success in the grocery business down to a science YEARS ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back