Archived Break policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a fellow TL approach me today asking how to address a situation in which their TM is taking additional "smoking" breaks on days the TL isn't working. They take these breaks on top of their 15's and lunch. I've never had a similar situation in my own work center so I wasn't able to offer any feedback, but I'm curious as to what exactly best practice would be for handling the situation? Coaching? Corrective action? I'm assuming it would fall under time theft (wording?) or HR?

Coach first, CA if no improvement. It is time theft, but perhaps loafing is more in line with the behavior? First have a talk to make sure the tm knows the rules. I would probably make sure a TL/ETL monitors when I'm not working, and have them coach on the spot at that point.

Totally agree with Yetive. ETL HR should be involved too, its certainly something that needs to be discouraged.

my STL goes out and smokes at least once an hour. his excuse is that he's on a business call, which he is, but he goes outside and smokes while he does it.

I had this issue in my store with a tm. I repeatedly saw him smoking out side when he wasnt on break or lunch. i gave him a couple of warnings with out tell the etls after the 3rd convo we began with documented coaches then to a cca and after about 2 months we put him on a final. Once he got the final he stopped and we haven't had problems since. I've found that usually all it takes in a quick convo about how it's stealing time and what the consequences are and it stops. Good luck

my STL goes out and smokes at least once an hour. his excuse is that he's on a business call, which he is, but he goes outside and smokes while he does it.

He is an exempt employee though. So they dont get the usual two breaks and a lunch for an 8 hour shift. He probably works a 10 to 12 hour day.

Anonymously call Target and report the people who are abusing the break policy. I am sure Target has enough security cameras inside and outside of the store to be able to verify any specific information you have.

Calling anonymously will get the problem resolved because no store manager wants to have a problem reported to corporate or wants corporate to think they can't handle/control their store.

Also, calling anonymously prevents any potential backlash against you.

Companies always say there will be no retaliation but unless you get everyone fired including those you report to, there will always be someone left that will not appreciate you calling corporate. Then they can start retaliating in very subtle ways which they can defend as normal business.

Anonymously call Target and report the people who are abusing the break policy. I am sure Target has enough security cameras inside and outside of the store to be able to verify any specific information you have.

Calling anonymously will get the problem resolved because no store manager wants to have a problem reported to corporate or wants corporate to think they can't handle/control their store.

Companies always say there will be no retaliation but unless you get everyone fired including those you report to, there will always be someone left that will not appreciate you calling corporate. Then they can start retaliating in very subtle ways which they can defend as normal business.
Anonymous calls? Corporate getting involved? Retaliation?

What the hell are you talking about?

It's a simple store-level problem, which can be solved by communication between the TL involved, LODs, and the TM in question.

If it was one my employees I would have addressed it directly, I don't believe in having others do coachings for me and I'd rather find the root of the problem instead of escalating a situation. I was a TM once, I know life can be stressful and inconsistent hours are just one of many things a TM has to deal with. I posted the question since I was unsure of the policy it violated and the procedure that needed to be taken. I know the TM in question, great worker, first in the door and always willing to help others. The smoking breaks have been a recent issue and I'm sure after the TL sits down with them it will stop. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Also regarding the hotline, don't abuse it. It should only be used in unethical situations and not taken lightly. If you are a leader and you can't address an issue with a TM then you have bigger issues on your plate. Just my opinion.

Umm.....no

It's not that serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back