Archived Breakroom Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the break room should have ANY thing to do with Target. For awhile there were the table talkers. Of course they always say "no working on the clock" so they got sneaky and put work related stuff on those. Team members have either 15 or 30 minutes to sit back and relax. Make it a "no walkie" zone. I hate being on lunch and someones walkie is always blaring. And then there is the daily"I know your on lunch, but...." Have a few up to date magazines and keep them current. Butcher paper on a few tables with some markers or crayons for doodling. Keep a calendar of food days that are upcoming and follow through! Make sure that you refresh often during the day. Nothing says you don't matter like coming in to close and you get the pleasure of having chips that have flies all over them, hot dogs that have been sitting out all day and no buns! Let the team put pictures on the fridges i.e. vacation photos, christmas decoration photos, school pictures from way back. How about a US map and have everyone put a push pin where they vacationed or where they are from. Do not dumb down the team and make it look like a preschool area. Our store actually shops at the teacher store, nice mentality.
Clean is super important.
Food every now and again is important
Inclusive is important, celebrate everyones holidays.

True, 549. You should also have at least one barista who can requisition.

Not necessarily. You can give anyone supervisor codes to requisition... like yetive said we give one Starbucks team member access to do such who we know won't abuse it.
oh I knew you could give out the code, I just thought it was in the GSTL menu, not just asking for a code.

EDIT: unless you mean they coded the SBUX TM as a supervisor

Inclusive is important, celebrate everyones holidays.

I would agree but after my store actually tried this, I say make everything neutral. My store tried to celebrate a Jewish holiday once (forget which at the moment) and they put out some kosher snacks (the chocolate jelly rings and the like from the "ethnic food" aisle). It just so happened that I was in the breakroom at the same time as a few other Jewish tms and we were explaining to some non-Jewish folks a little bit about the snacks and the holiday, prompting one tm to say he "felt threatened" by being in the presence of so many Jews. And my friend wanted to know why I didn't want anyone to know I'm Jewish :oops:

oh I knew you could give out the code, I just thought it was in the GSTL menu, not just asking for a code.

EDIT: unless you mean they coded the SBUX TM as a supervisor
Baristas can be entered as supervisors. They have to requisition supplies from time to time.

I would agree but after my store actually tried this, I say make everything neutral. My store tried to celebrate a Jewish holiday once (forget which at the moment) and they put out some kosher snacks (the chocolate jelly rings and the like from the "ethnic food" aisle). It just so happened that I was in the breakroom at the same time as a few other Jewish tms and we were explaining to some non-Jewish folks a little bit about the snacks and the holiday, prompting one tm to say he "felt threatened" by being in the presence of so many Jews. And my friend wanted to know why I didn't want anyone to know I'm Jewish :oops:

THAT is EXACTLY why you are inclusive. That behavior should never be tolerated. That comment he made is pure ignorance and should have been reported to HR immediately. We live in a world today that is diverse and the more we embrace diversity the better off we will all be. Personally I HATE all of the Christmas decorations in the break room in December. I don't celebrate Christmas but I would never take away the fun other people have with the totally material holiday

Seriously WTF?
I worked really hard to get the BBB store to play Hanukkah music in the overheads so at least we had some alternatives to the Christmas music.
It only seemed fair.
What kind of jerk says he feels threatened?
Is he some kind of alt-right white supremacist?
If so fuck him very much.

our store used to have a ping pong table and it really helped bring the team together. then it broke and it was never replaced.

Being the Jewey McJewersten of the store (a number of us there actually) it seems I am always the one to explain the various holidays and that the circle k logo on that packet of potato chips is not an emblem for some sort of secret billionaire potato guru society bent on world domination ... then explain Kosher. *sigh* But I don't mind and actually enjoy teaching others about it. Then when I explain I'm Secular Humanist Jewish that just totally blows their mind haha. I'm fortunate to be in a very open and inclusive region and although I may go on and on about some of the jerky team members over all they are very open. So, yeah ... the one mentioned above is a total putz.

Another thing that's nice that I wish my store had would be a Kuerig and a griddle that stayed out.

We have both but the Kuerig was permanently put away because I guess one person didn't clean up after themselves. And the griddle is only special occasions. Even not supplying the coffee or food to heat up on the griddle, at least having them out so TM's could purchase items to use them with would be great

My Starbuck's TL taught me how to make coffee, so I can make it for my team, as well as Flow. (This way he can over order, while we all over caffeinate, win, win).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back