Archived CAFs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason why some LODs refuse to work a CAF? We have one that will literally scream on the Wilkie about how many CAFs are on the line, but she won't work one. I have never seen her grab one. Is there something I can say? Because my store does a lot of, Leading by Example. She however is not leading.

Probably because the people who are suppose to be pushing CAF's are not pushing them fast enough. An ETL(manager)job is to manage the store. A Team Lead(supervisor) job is to supervise.

Probably because the people who are suppose to be pushing CAF's are not pushing them fast enough. An ETL(manager)job is to manage the store. A Team Lead(supervisor) job is to supervise.

You will never be a successful leader with that mentality. The word "leader" is a part of both job titles. I urge you to really consider the definition.

You'll fit right in at our store. We have an ETL Logistics who micromanages the ENTIRE damn store, pushes his work off on the TLs under him, and stares at vibe scores on his computer for 12-15 hours. The result? The back room is a disaster and flow is so far behind its sickening. Sometimes he will come out and work with the team, but for the most part he has your mentality.

But seriously, go down to your community college and take a class on leadership, it's enlightening and kool-aid free.

You will never be a successful leader with that mentality. The word "leader" is a part of both job titles. I urge you to really consider the definition.
Really now? I would not make a good leader.... That makes sense since my store has the best backroom numbers and score in the district.

Really now? I would not make a good leader.... That makes sense since my store has the best backroom numbers and score in the district.

What role are you in?
I am a TM. But since the Flow TL has left the store, I run truck if I am scheduled backroom during truck hours. I also am the only one that takes the time to do ELR's. I go through the weekly reports and LOCU the areas with the most errors. I train all new logistic team members. blah blah blah a few more lines bragging about myself but I'm sure you catch the drift.
My Teamlead and ETL have more important things to do, that I can not do. So why make them do the work that I get paid to do.

Is there a reason why some LODs refuse to work a CAF? We have one that will literally scream on the Wilkie about how many CAFs are on the line, but she won't work one. I have never seen her grab one. Is there something I can say? Because my store does a lot of, Leading by Example. She however is not leading.

I see both sides of this.... Yes, she should be able to jump in and help work pulls if you're falling behind at night. It shows the team that she's not afraid to dig in and get her hands dirty (so to speak) and work alongside the team. But, on the other hand, working pulls isn't her job. She isn't paid to be a key-holding leader in the building so she can work pulls all night; her first job is to be engaging and motivating the team so that they can work pulls fast enough and meet her goal times. She should be having conversations (whether it be educational/training or a coaching) with the team first, making sure they understand what the goal times are for pulls, how to "path" your pulls so you can efficiently work them out, etc etc.

If the pull line is so backed up that there's no possible way to get it done, then yes she should probably jump in and help you like what I mentioned above. But, if the issue is that her team isn't working pulls as fast as they should be, she should be driving you guys to work pulls faster.

Our LOD's rarely ever work pulls. They spend their closing shifts catching up on plano, PTMing in seasonal, working truck, pushing clearance, whatever we might be behind on at any given week. Sometimes you'll see them help with zone or pulls, but not often because like I said, that's not what they're being paid to do.

What role are you in?
I am a TM. But since the Flow TL has left the store, I run truck if I am scheduled backroom during truck hours. I also am the only one that takes the time to do ELR's. I go through the weekly reports and LOCU the areas with the most errors. I train all new logistic team members. blah blah blah a few more lines bragging about myself but I'm sure you catch the drift.
My Teamlead and ETL have more important things to do, that I can not do. So why make them do the work that I get paid to do.

You are simply a TM. Don't let your ego make you think you are anything more than that. I am sure you are good at what you do, however, you are one small piece to a much larger team. You do not know what type of leader you are since you do not lead anything. Your mentality starts you off in the wrong direction and as long as you have that mind set it will only hold you back as a leader and get you no respect from your team or peers.

We can go back and forth on this but the simple fact is, we've hit a saturation point on how much work we can squeeze out of people (especially for the non-competitive wages Spot pays now). It's easy to blame the ETLs since we interact with them on a day to day basis and their decisions directly affect us. However, they shouldn't have to push CAFs because we shouldn't need them to help. Payroll has gotten so shitty that no amount of "managing productivity" is going to accomplish everything that Spot wants done in the stores. This is where we want them to step in and help but most of them can't get past the idea of leading from their office.

The only areas consistently getting their work done are the ones that are overspending payroll or managed to score a larger budget than they normally should. At my store, that would be the overnight flow team. They have the misfortune of not only dealing with the truck, but they also deal with zoning areas of the store that dayside can't even attempt to, finish dayside CAFs, and all the leftover backstock. Because of this, several of their team members get overtime on a weekly basis. I did support help at a nearby store and found out that their softlines team has just as much coverage as mine does despite the fact that their sales are ~60% of ours. It's not that they sell a disproportionately higher amount of clothing than us, they're just overspending. Hell, I don't blame them a bit at this point.

Spot's policy of slashing payroll at all stores to cover the mistakes made by HQ is coming to a head. If they had reduced the workload to match the reduced payroll, it would have been bearable but they increased it instead. This holiday season is going to be absolutely terrible unless Brian decides to make a quick adjustment in payroll budgeting. I doubt it as such changes are usually done with the AE rollouts.

Very true. An STL in my district is under fire for over scheduling in most departments of his store. The numbers do not lie though, he has some of the best scores in the group.

What role are you in?
You are leading by example and setting a bar, which is your leader's job. If you were to be promoted, would you stop your current behavior? If not, then you are arrfirming my point. If you would, then I would question your level of success over time.

You are leading by example and setting a bar, which is your leader's job. If you were to be promoted, would you stop your current behavior? If not, then you are arrfirming my point. If you would, then I would question your level of success over time.
I would hope that my Team members would bust their asses off, so that I would not have to do the things I pay them to do. Wanna know what my teamlead did when I first started... he was doing the Locu's of high errors, he was doing the ELR's, all while trying to guide the team. Imagine working something and then right in the middle you have to go check up on how everyone one of your team members are doing. It is frustrating.

You also have to take into account that different area LOD's have different priorities. For example, I am an ULV store so i pull the CAF's and push them myself. It can be hard to keep up especially when your alone on a sat or sun. If the Log TL or ETL are Lod that night. Right at 6:00pm they will come, count the tubs left to push and get that many salesfloor team members back there no matter how busy the store. Now if the ETL-GE or a TL-salesfloor is LOD, i already know i am getting zero help at any time and am expected to back-up electronics if needed(Attachments are low these days, and I am good into talking people into buying things).

I would hope that my Team members would bust their asses off, so that I would not have to do the things I pay them to do. Wanna know what my teamlead did when I first started... he was doing the Locu's of high errors, he was doing the ELR's, all while trying to guide the team. Imagine working something and then right in the middle you have to go check up on how everyone one of your team members are doing. It is frustrating.

Having been a backroom TL I can tell you that no, it's not. A good team doesn't need too much supervision. It's not difficult to give someone a specific task to do and check on them within a reasonable time frame to see if they have accomplished it and if not, why. It's not difficult to check how big the CAF pulls are at the top of the hour and (assuming you have sufficient staffing for your team to do it without you) check on the progress 30 minutes later to ensure they will finish in time. You don't even have to stop what you're doing, just toggle over to the pull application and see what's left.

As tight as payroll has gotten this year, if there's time to even touch ELR I'm having a great day. Too many things have a far greater priority though and with the reduction in hours and VAST increase in the workload in my store's backroom, backend processes like ELR and locuing are rarely done. Hell, they don't even have time to touch the quantity audit batches anymore.

Well, I disagree with this.. Acording to what you are sayng The Etl is suppose to run the store and the Tl is to supervise the team.... Running the store...is not a desk job....if you are going to do it and do it well...you cant sit behind a desk and run the store. You need to be up and observing what YOUR team is going through...helping where needed etc. ETLS are not too good to jump on a register, push a caf, or ( gasp) gather carts.....Yes, there are times that require them to be less hands on...but if you want to see a team who rspects their etls ...they need to be in the trenches with the team. Spot is cutting more and more TL postions...so now more than ever the ETLS have to take a more hands on approach...if they are to run a great team and store.

[

You also have to take into account that different area LOD's have different priorities. For example, I am an ULV store so i pull the CAF's and push them myself. It can be hard to keep up especially when your alone on a sat or sun. If the Log TL or ETL are Lod that night. Right at 6:00pm they will come, count the tubs left to push and get that many salesfloor team members back there no matter how busy the store. Now if the ETL-GE or a TL-salesfloor is LOD, i already know i am getting zero help at any time and am expected to back-up electronics if needed(Attachments are low these days, and I am good into talking people into buying things).
I am sorry but when I hear anyone say something alone the lines...of...That's what I pay you to do etc...it always pisses me off. To start with my I work for Spot and that's who pays me....not my Stl or tl...so they are not paying me. In matter of fact they work for the same company I do..... They give me direction etc...but they don't pay me. I also, know that if a leader feels he /she isbetter than their team...they will fail as a leader at some point. They may not fail today, next week or next year but sooner or later they will fail. ....we all work for the same company leader or not ....

I am sorry but when I hear anyone say something alone the lines...of...That's what I pay you to do etc...it always pisses me off. To start with my I work for Spot and that's who pays me....not my Stl or tl...so they are not paying me. In matter of fact they work for the same company I do..... They give me direction etc...but they don't pay me. I also, know that if a leader feels he /she isbetter than their team...they will fail as a leader at some point. They may not fail today, next week or next year but sooner or later they will fail. ....we all work for the same company leader or not ....

TL's are the ones that give you your hours, and in some cases they are the ones that even gave you a job in the first place. You should never think you are on the same level as your boss. It is okay to have a good relationship with your boss.me and my TL will joke around with each other, talk about outside life, we even pick on each other, BUT I know that if he tells me to do something I need to do it. Also if he suggests something to me, that I need to try it out cause he as been a TM before and doing this ALOT longer then me. Of course there are things that he does that just doesn't work with me, and even vice versa. For example we have a large empty section in receiving for transition pallets/ stage tubs. When Pallets come off truck ,after they have been worked, he will put up on the steel till he has made room somewhere else for them so that it isn't taking up space, while I like to b/s the pallets right as they get back. His way is faster but takes up more room, my way is slower but takes up less room.

So back to the main topic. The money that pays you does NOT come from CEO. It comes from the money earned by the Store.

Also, if a leader doesnt feel he/she is not better then the team then why should they lead the team? Doesn't make sense for the leader to be saying "Well, you are just as good as me or even better then me, but I am the leader so do what i say." A leader should be confident enough to think, "Okay, if i was doing my team members jobs i could do better then them," but they should also be smart enough not to openly say it.

Do any stores out their have 7pm CAFs??
If so how long have you had them and what is your store volume??
Does a store have the option to have a 7am or 7pm CAF instead??

I read on here that some stores have CAFs every 2 hours, is this for low volume stores only??

Do any stores out their have 7pm CAFs??
If so how long have you had them and what is your store volume??
Does a store have the option to have a 7am or 7pm CAF instead??

I read on here that some stores have CAFs every 2 hours, is this for low volume stores only??
I believe it depends on what time your flow process is and the CAF's every 2 hours are just a pilot atm.

TL's are the ones that give you your hours, and in some cases they are the ones that even gave you a job in the first place. You should never think you are on the same level as your boss. It is okay to have a good relationship with your boss.me and my TL will joke around with each other, talk about outside life, we even pick on each other, BUT I know that if he tells me to do something I need to do it. Also if he suggests something to me, that I need to try it out cause he as been a TM before and doing this ALOT longer then me. Of course there are things that he does that just doesn't work with me, and even vice versa. For example we have a large empty section in receiving for transition pallets/ stage tubs. When Pallets come off truck ,after they have been worked, he will put up on the steel till he has made room somewhere else for them so that it isn't taking up space, while I like to b/s the pallets right as they get back. His way is faster but takes up more room, my way is slower but takes up less room.

So back to the main topic. The money that pays you does NOT come from CEO. It comes from the money earned by the Store.

Also, if a leader doesnt feel he/she is not better then the team then why should they lead the team? Doesn't make sense for the leader to be saying "Well, you are just as good as me or even better then me, but I am the leader so do what i say." A leader should be confident enough to think, "Okay, if i was doing my team members jobs i could do better then them," but they should also be smart enough not to openly say it.

I never said that my pay comes from the CEO....never implied that. I said that my pay does not come from tl OR etl. When, I say that a TL or ETL cant feel he / she is better than their team...I mean ...that just because they have a "position" they are no better than any one else. We all put our pants on one leg at a time...so there is no need for anyone to conduct themselves as they are better than anyone ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back