Archived Call Out/ Late Point system

Status
Not open for further replies.
HR needs to be the one owning attendance and letting TLs and ETLs regularly who needs coachings for attendance. When coaching for attendance we need to look for trends. Look back at the last three or four weeks and if someone is habitually late or absent, then coach them on that. Three or four weeks later, look back at attendance. If they are still habitually late or absent then it goes to a counseling. If the trends continue within the next 6 months then it's a final. If the trends continue in the next 12 months then it's a term. But to implement this fairly and consistently, HR needs to look at attendance for every team member in the store on a regular basis and keeping track of PDDs and CCAs.

if you had kids, management would be more understandable. .

I have a HUGE problem with this.... Correct, not a parent. Don't want to be, not my problem.... :mad: :mad:

I come to work, even if dead, I have a note that the OCME is to drop my body off at the store! On time! :p :)

This rates up there that because I am single I should work Xmas in place of families... BZTTT! You want XMAS off, then I suggest you some how get it to fly with HR...

EXPECTING, no DEMANDING that "parents" have special rights because of kids... urrgghhhhh :mad: :mad:

Reasonable life emergencies everyone has... kids are not a free pass.

I have a HUGE problem with this.... Correct, not a parent. Don't want to be, not my problem.... :mad: :mad:

I come to work, even if dead, I have a note that the OCME is to drop my body off at the store! On time! :p :)

This rates up there that because I am single I should work Xmas in place of families... BZTTT! You want XMAS off, then I suggest you some how get it to fly with HR...

EXPECTING, no DEMANDING that "parents" have special rights because of kids... urrgghhhhh :mad: :mad:

How about cats?

As much as you may not like parents getting special treatment, it's the hard reality. In my state, if you miss any time due to your child being sick, your work cannot count this against your attendance. This is a new state law that was put in place over a year ago, you only need to be employed for over a year and no doctors notes are required.

How about cats?

I am a red and white person. You have a job, you are expected to be there when scheduled. No one cares if my cats are dying or I am dying. Just get to work.

As a cat person I may sympathize, but been there done that others had to deal with the situation. I had to go to work.

Life emergencies are one thing.... but just had to deal with this recently with issues with a TM and their rugrats child care... taking time from unload to get an "authorized person" to drop the thing off... Oh good grief.. (No you need not try to tell me about the reasons behind that "authorized" BS... I am just not going to buy in to that whole nannyment BS.) Once in a blue moon sure.. but when it occurs MULTIPLE TIMES in the week.. WHOAAAA! YOU need to resolve this on YOUR TIME! You are here to unload/push the truck.

You will get no empathy from me when you play the "kids" card. I don't have, don't want'em and cant stand'em! Kids are not a get away with anything free pass. :mad: :mad:

In some ways I can say yes go for it because trust me at my store we have far too many call offs especially during weekends ( cough cough hangovers) but there are times when you are really sick ( I have been there myself last year was really brutal) so the point system would've really hurt me and I did have a legit excuse. Maybe doctors notes would be a better idea?? I think that would get rid of these call offs really quick..... No doctors note sorry you got to come in.

Im probably going to open a can of worms here: But I like the fact that I can treat Team Members as individuals and take into account certain situations and not treat them like Mice in a running wheel......

Thank you!

We are all humans & most of the employees work damned hard for very little pay. Let's face it, the heart & soul of retail are the little people who work like pack mules to make it possible for the very few to live lives of luxury & will never see more than a pittance for the hard work we do.

The least corporations can do is to give their employees the benefit of acknowledging that they DO have personal lives outside their jobs & that happy people are more likely to be better employees. If you can't pay a reasonable rate to your employees, you can at least make them feel human & valued.

I am a red and white person. You have a job, you are expected to be there when scheduled. No one cares if my cats are dying or I am dying. Just get to work.

As a cat person I may sympathize, but been there done that others had to deal with the situation. I had to go to work.

Life emergencies are one thing.... but just had to deal with this recently with issues with a TM and their rugrats child care... taking time from unload to get an "authorized person" to drop the thing off... Oh good grief.. (No you need not try to tell me about the reasons behind that "authorized" BS... I am just not going to buy in to that whole nannyment BS.) Once in a blue moon sure.. but when it occurs MULTIPLE TIMES in the week.. WHOAAAA! YOU need to resolve this on YOUR TIME! You are here to unload/push the truck.

You will get no empathy from me when you play the "kids" card. I don't have, don't want'em and cant stand'em! Kids are not a get away with anything free pass. :mad: :mad:

Are you a leader in this situation? Having childcare issues is an added stress on the parent as well. You should have a sit down with your employee to get the full info before dismissing it as a "kids" card. There maybe more to this situation then you think, and if you are not approachable then the TM is just going to give you the basics that they can spit out in single breath and run away... Feeling stressed even more...

Over Christmas time, my husband, son and I came down with the stomach flu. My husband and I only missed a few days from work due to our sickness. But had to miss a lot of work due to our son. Even though he wasn't vomitting, a child cannot stay at daycare if they have 3 "blowouts". My husband and I are both new to our roles and it was super stressful to let our managers down, dealing with a sick kid, working from home until 3am just to stay above the water, and having to deal with cranky daycare director quoting policies everyday.

Being able to show empathy and humility towards another TM is a great quality for a leader to have and will take you places.

As much as you may not like parents getting special treatment, it's the hard reality.

Not only do I not like it, MY STORE don't like it or put up with it.

All those seasonals when it came down to keep or go... Well several who were on the keep list but had issues , PARENTAL issues... were set free to be parents! They were great workers when the they were there. Most would have got my vote to stay, but the parental issues got them unanimous NO votes.

If you were a regular hire or even a regular TM past 90 days, these issues would not fly, at my store. Just like all the seasonals who are still whining about not being kept.. well you CO, NCNS during season and it only takes once, no fly at my store. You are DONE! Same for regular hires CO or NCNS during 90 days, you will end up gone.

Get your issues resolved...outside of work.. Emergencies happen... no big deal.. but parents are constant drama and the same drama over and over.. Solve your child care or stay home. Simple.

No one cares if I go out to a show/game till 0000 or later and have to be there for the trucks at 0530... Self inflicted pain, suck it up buttercup! :) I don't CO, I am on time, and I have to be..

This boils down to something else.... W O R K E T H I C. (drops mic.)

In my state, if you miss any time due to your child being sick, your work cannot count this against your attendance. This is a new state law that was put in place over a year ago, you only need to be employed for over a year and no doctors notes are required.

Thankfully I don't live in that nanny state. But LEGIT SICK is one thing...but parents have the mind set that it is get away with anything card. Leave early, come late, etc.. :mad:

I'm also a childless bachelor, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think parents should get a free pass. I'm definitely think higher of them than the kids who just don't feel like working, or the people who got a case of the sniffles and can't possibly come in. But everyone is still expected to show up to work; it's the most basic requirement of working.

Everyone gets a few free passes every so often. I'd like for everyone to show up for every shift, but that's not realistic. Life happens and you have to call off eventually. I've had a good streak of 3 years without a call off, but I my appendix could explode tomorrow.

There is a GSA at my store who calls off at least once per month due to her kids. Other than that, she has pretty good attendance, so it's not like she should be fired for it, but I do think her yearly review should be one rating lower than what it would be with great attendance.

I'm looking for TMs who put the job first. That's not realistic for a lot of people. Kids are more important. If I had kids, they would be #1, no matter what. But if you don't put the job first, don't expect the same raise as people who do, and get ready to get coached.

Not only do I not like it, MY STORE don't like it or put up with it.

All those seasonals when it came down to keep or go... Well several who were on the keep list but had issues , PARENTAL issues... were set free to be parents! They were great workers when the they were there. Most would have got my vote to stay, but the parental issues got them unanimous NO votes.

If you were a regular hire or even a regular TM past 90 days, these issues would not fly, at my store. Just like all the seasonals who are still whining about not being kept.. well you CO, NCNS during season and it only takes once, no fly at my store. You are DONE! Same for regular hires CO or NCNS during 90 days, you will end up gone.

Get your issues resolved...outside of work.. Emergencies happen... no big deal.. but parents are constant drama and the same drama over and over.. Solve your child care or stay home. Simple.

No one cares if I go out to a show/game till 0000 or later and have to be there for the trucks at 0530... Self inflicted pain, suck it up buttercup! :) I don't CO, I am on time, and I have to be..

This boils down to something else.... W O R K E T H I C. (drops mic.)

Thankfully I don't live in that nanny state. But LEGIT SICK is one thing...but parents have the mind set that it is get away with anything card. Leave early, come late, etc.. :mad:

There really is no point in debating this topic with you I guess, you have your mind set.

Just some words of advice/wisdom from someone who use to manage just like you and think like you -

Your leadership style will evolve and change as you get more experience and go through life situations your self. This will be a great interview Q/A topic for you on how you have developed from a manager to a leader and how your viewpoints have changed.

When you have kids; your viewpoint on this subject WILL change. You will come to learn that kids are walking germs. You will then wish that you have a leader (remember - LEADER) that understands your situation, that way you won't have to stress about being fired while nursing your child back to health.

Not everything is black and white. There are shades of grey and a subcategory of rainbow colors.

It's awesome that your leadership style fits in with your current store. If you vow to never change, then I hope you plan to stay at that store forever! There are a lot of companies that won't tolerate this style.

Not every parents that has a sick kid is faking it and using the kid card - remember shades of grey.

I hope you do well in your career, and I hope you reflect on your people leadership skills - when you master this skill you will see the benefits.

I worked for another company with a point system for attendance. The first two stores were in a city with notorious transit issues. Management was rather lenient and provided a grace period (5 mins during normal weather/10-15 during winter weather) much like Spot offers. When I moved to another city with similar transit issues management determined that one minute=1/4 point. I remember being late for my first day at the new store and the manager mentioned his 'zero tolerance' policy and I had to remind him that I had moved to the city three days prior and I didn't remember how to get there.

Nonetheless I removed myself from that situation a few months later.

Spoken like a true childless bachelor.

Yes, and proud of it. :) :)

There really is no point in debating this topic with you I guess, you have your mind set.

Correct, we are not going to see eye to eye on this.

LEGIT emergencies come up...

Just some words of advice/wisdom from someone who use to manage just like you and think like you -

Your leadership style will evolve and change as you get more experience and go through life situations your self. This will be a great interview Q/A topic for you on how you have developed from a manager to a leader and how your viewpoints have changed

I am in the position I am in because of my viewpoint and the fact TGT is #1, but the same applied to any job I've had. My life is way down the list.

Last edited:
How many latenesses get you fired? So far I’ve had about 4 and received a verbal warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back