Archived Call Outs Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week my store has had to cut hours to make payroll. I lost about 5-6 hours. However, we are on day 3 of the new week and I have been called/asked to stay longer to cover call outs FIVE times! Yes, in three days! Twice on Sunday, once yesterday, and twice today.

I gotta admit, I'm a little bitter. They want to be fair with the cutting of hours, yet they expect me to jump at the chance to come in at their beckon call. Nope, sorry. I have plans and I already worked today!

Maybe they should hire more reliable people or not cut the hours of the people who don't habitually call out!

Okay. End rant :)

It really isn't easy to just simply hire "more reliable people". Getting somebody fired over just call-outs is hard as fuck. It really doesn't work that way.

Think about it from your leaders perspective. You have a guy who just had 3 people call out. So he knows he has 12 hours he's allowed to spend...because his STL told him that in order to make payroll he can't extend or spend any extra payroll. If he does, he'll be coached and yelled at and made to feel like an idiot. Just like you are when you don't stock something correctly.

So, he looks at his grid and asks every single person who showed up if they can extend. Then he asks the operator to call people in to cover those hours. Sure it looks shitty to cut hours in the previous month and then instantly jump to calling people in on the new month. But that's the fucking payroll game at Target. And all your leader is worried about is hoping that he has an extra person to work on a shopping cart of repacks or be able to backstock an extra tub.

So it's not your leaders fault. It's not your ETL's fault. It's really not your STL's fault. It's all about balancing numbers and people and hours to tetris shit into an extremely strict system that originally didn't give you enough resources to get the job done.

Your TL is just trying not to get yelled at. Just like you're not trying to get yelled at. Give him a break.

It really isn't easy to just simply hire "more reliable people". Getting somebody fired over just call-outs is hard as fuck. It really doesn't work that way.

Think about it from your leaders perspective. You have a guy who just had 3 people call out. So he knows he has 12 hours he's allowed to spend...because his STL told him that in order to make payroll he can't extend or spend any extra payroll. If he does, he'll be coached and yelled at and made to feel like an idiot. Just like you are when you don't stock something correctly.

So, he looks at his grid and asks every single person who showed up if they can extend. Then he asks the operator to call people in to cover those hours. Sure it looks shitty to cut hours in the previous month and then instantly jump to calling people in on the new month. But that's the fucking payroll game at Target. And all your leader is worried about is hoping that he has an extra person to work on a shopping cart of repacks or be able to backstock an extra tub.

So it's not your leaders fault. It's not your ETL's fault. It's really not your STL's fault. It's all about balancing numbers and people and hours to tetris shit into an extremely strict system that originally didn't give you enough resources to get the job done.

Your TL is just trying not to get yelled at. Just like you're not trying to get yelled at. Give him a break.
I'm not mad at anyone for trying to get the shift covered. I'm not even mad that they called me, it's the fact that two times they called me twice in the same day. I already told them on the initial call that I had plans, so it just really irritated me. To get 2 days off in a row is a miracle, but every time I happens, they call.

One of the call outs is a new hire who has called out one shift every week since he's been hired. If that's not coachable, then maybe I'm just misinformed.

I know it's "just Target", but I never call out, ncns , or come in late so habitual attendance issues bug the crap out of me.

Anyway, I'm not mad I just had to vent for a second. I know it's a little irrational, but I know some people would understand :)

One of the call outs is a new hire who has called out one shift every week since he's been hired. If that's not coachable, then maybe I'm just misinformed.

I know it's "just Target", but I never call out, ncns , or come in late so habitual attendance issues bug the crap out of me.
A little while back our attendance policy was altered a little. Or maybe they just reiterated. But the policy basically said that there was no "real" policy anymore. HR is directed to look for trends and patterns in bad attendance instead of just tallying up numbers. "Habitual attendance issues" should be dealt with imo.

Last edited:
It's a broken process. Since a liveable wage is not offered to many tms the labor pool is sketchy. A few extra hours may be offered during peaks, you may get recognition during huddles or a candy bar or coffee but insurance, not for most. Reliable people may or may not see advancement and benefits but often burn out before any substantive offers. And the work is demanding. I'm not offering judgement corporate policy speaks for itself. Don't expect any changes unless those changes make money for Target.

Yeah, we know that. It doesn't excuse them being idiots and waking you up on the first vacation day in months. Or your hubby who just got off a triple and had already worked twice what an etl has and he's still got one day left in his work week. Where's his free drink for that call? But when they need to call me because the Market opener called out they don't. And I walk in at 9 am three hours behind and down a body. But that's ok. Because that's not a shift that backstock, zones, or reshops. It only makes my life and my closer's suck.

One Saturday last year I worked an open to close.
I had opened in CO then went to SB & supposed to get off at 3pm but got sent to cashier at pharmacy because their tech had gone home sick. Worked there 'til 5pm & was right at 40.
As I was walking toward TMSC, my STL flagged me down & said the closer at SB had called out; could I close?
I said I'd be going into OT right now.
Without batting an eye, he said "Don't worry about that. Can you close?" Nobody was answering their phone that day.
I said "Sure", took another lunch & wound up with 4 hrs OT.

Kinda like when Tina , the VP of stores or whatever she is, was supposed to visit my store, and they approved overtime. Get to Saturday, and the closer in Food Ave is a no show, I tell my LOD, every minute I stay longer you're paying me time and a half, and she's like "would you mind staying a little longer to close?" Cha. Ching.

I had that happen once. I volunteered to not come in so they can cut payroll. Then someone called in.
And now our store is in this workers place, where they need to cut payroll, but 90% (grossly exaggerated, I'm sure, but a large percentage) of our tm's are students. So we're super short. Dayside coverage for call outs is non-existent.

Kinda like when Tina , the VP of stores or whatever she is, was supposed to visit my store, and they approved overtime. Get to Saturday, and the closer in Food Ave is a no show, I tell my LOD, every minute I stay longer you're paying me time and a half, and she's like "would you mind staying a little longer to close?" Cha. Ching.
I picked up an entire shift of ot when Tina came to us. No probs.

I've been at 36-40 hours for months thanks to call outs and short staffed for backroom day/night.

I will say, a callout is the only reason we managed to finish truck today. Instead of having one more body during the 6 to 10 unload, we got an extra four hours at the end to get to the cleanup

Thank you for this thread. We literally have so many call offs no shows it's insane lately. Guess what? Nobody cares! NCNS three days in a row eh whatever they show up 3 days later ( still has job) it's all good! I know for a fact a year or so see ya find a new job!! Now they simply do not care..... No one cares...... Show up late, Call off all the time, NCNS do whatever no one cares. It is literally falling apart at my store and no one cares except the people who have to clean up the mess of the people who didn't show up.

Yeah. We have had so many people call out over the last month, along with DTLs (Not just my district, others too) cutting payroll into the marrow, we can BARELY get ourselves out by open with 15 people (Oh wait, 4 call ins! MAKE THAT 11!) working a 2300 PC truck. With 3 people in BR, 1 in Electronics, 2 in SL, one on cardboard...leaves 5 people pusing 1900 pcs of push in the WAVE.

Yeah, good luck with that stellar plan.

We've had so many call outs that we're keeping everyone tomorrow even tho the truck was cancelled. My boss laughed and said were overflowing with call out hours.

I'm into my second year... no call outs, never late. I want my 5 minutes early clock in.

Yeah, buddy...

It's not rocket science... it's just a job.

You show up and do your job - that's how you get paid!

As someone who is on top of pdds and cca for TMs who are chronic call outs, you have to jump through hoops to get them terminated. It's insane. Just because it's not happening quickly, doesn't necessarily mean someone isn't working towards it.

I hate it when college rolls around and you know the college kids are partying and saturday or sunday mornings guess who calls in?? The college kids. Everyone ignores it but we really really know what is going on........ They " claim" they are sick but really they are too busy partying..... Hey I was in college once and I got up and worked the next day that's what I did. It's called advil look it up..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back